Best mini pump to reach 120psi

Spatulala
Spatulala Posts: 291
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
Me again

I have a Halfords Bikehut Dual Action Bike Pump that served me well in my MTB days. But on my maiden road voyage I picked up a puncture, and the highest I could get the replacement tube up to was 90psi.

Don't want to spend a fortune, but what should I be using? Or am I being a Southern softy and should just stop whining and put some elbow grease into it?

The size of my current one is ideal as it fits into my saddle pack, rather not spoil my bike with a frame pump.

ta

Comments

• a900ss
    a900ss Posts: 91
    edited March 2010
    I'm in a similar position, my Lezyne only goes upto 90psi but it's small and light.

I work on the theory that 90 psi is fine to get tyre inflated if I do get a puncture and get me going until I get home and can use the track pump.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    2010 Trek 1.5 Compact
    Now to diet, get fit and lose at least 3 stone!!! (2 of the 3 stone now lost...)

weight.png
    Diet started 1/1/2010
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    probably none
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use a topeak pocket rocket. I have used it in anger and checked the pressure when back home at Chez Lite. It read 118psi by my track pump gauge, so its pretty good. takes a few pumps though.
    Check.
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    dmclite wrote:
    I use a topeak pocket rocket. I have used it in anger and checked the pressure when back home at Chez Lite. It read 118psi by my track pump gauge, so its pretty good. takes a few pumps though.
    Check.

I have got one of these also. I would heartily recommend it too.

I had a crank brothers mini pump once now that really was a piece of stinking turd.

Cheehee
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No need to get to 120 psi. My conti GP4000S ride really well at 90 - 95 psi and are almost invulnerable to. My Lezyne pump easily goes up to that - no bother.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    cougie wrote:
    No need to get to 120 psi. My conti GP4000S ride really well at 90 - 95 psi and are almost invulnerable to. My Lezyne pump easily goes up to that - no bother.

+1

No need for 120psi
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    My Topeak Morph will go up to 120psi
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    cheehee wrote:
    dmclite wrote:
    Check.

I have got one of these also. I would heartily recommend it too.

I had a crank brothers mini pump once now that really was a piece of stinking turd.

Cheehee

Another vote for the rocket. Had mines for years and within a small amount of time can get the pressure up to 110psi.
    Brian B.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    twotyred wrote:
    My Topeak Morph will go up to 120psi

So will mine. I didn't realize it was classified as a mini. I thought the OP was referring to the mini-mini's, I guess.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    You must all suffer from w*nkers wrist using minipumps to get those pressures!

Just get a propper hand pump and pump like a man, rather than a 14yr old schoolboy.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Topeak Road Morph can do 120psi, although getting past 110psi takes a bit of grunt (up to 100psi is easy though unlike a lot of other mini-pumps I've used). It's like a mini-track pump design to so you can use your body weight a fair bit once you get up to higher pressures.
  • DieselE
    DieselE Posts: 30
    Want to get to 110Psi in 2 seconds (like I did yesterday after a puncture...) and carrying only a few grams with you?

http://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/innovati ... _1133.html

Only cavemen carry pumps nowadays :wink:

D
  • cougie
    CO2 is for lazy arses. How many cartridges do you need to take with you ? A minipump can work out smaller - and if you fly - they dont let you take the CO2 canisters - so you need to buy them abroad at exorbitant prices. Plus I just dont like the whole disposable gas thing. Just seems wrong.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Aye I do carry CO2 cannisters but rarely use them (only if it's cold and went and I'm on a group ride :p ). Pump is no more faff really and only takes a bit longer, I've also been on rides where people have had 2 or more punctures and ended up needing to borrow my pump anyway.
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    Well I went for the Pocket Rocket, used it to help me reach £50 on the Ribble site for free shipping when I picked up some tubes.

Seems to work a treat, I've mounted it with my bottle cage which seems pretty discrete and avoids ruining my pocket on my oh-so-expensive Aldi jersey! Thanks again.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I use a Leyzne frame pump - fits in my bum bag and reaches 120psi. The only problem I had with it is that unscrewing the tube (old-fashioned style screw on) unscrewed the presta valve in my stupid Slime inner tube letting out all the air. It would be so bad if:
    a. The Slime tube had worked in the first place and prevented the first puncture!
    b. The Slime hadn't unstuck the patch on the hole that the Slime hadn't filled

Slime tube in the bin.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    I bought a Lezyne road pump and loved it - looked great and performed well on test.
    I put it on the bike and carried it round for 10 months without using it.

Last weekend I finally did need to use it and I found it had stopped working. I was stuck - totally donald ducked - or I would have been but for a passing rider who stopped for me.

£25 for a single blow-up (and that wasn't the real thing!) then I was forced to rely on the kindness of strangers :lol:

I've ordered a pocket rocket now because that was what I borrowed, it worked well and the guy had had it a while.
  • cougie
    Aah don't say that - I've just gone to lezyne after my cannondale pump stopped working. It was fine 2 years back when I last needed to use it !
    Anyone know why they do stop working after just sitting there ?
  • I still rely on a Blackburn Super Air Stik that's at least 12 years old. I haven't had cause to use it too much over the years, but it's always been reliable. A few months ago I lent it to a friend, and that's when it chose to give out. Completely took it apart just out of interest, and discovered that an O-ring between the piston and cylinder had been pulled out of place and stretched. Re-seated it, greased it a bit to stop it getting pinched again, and it works good as new. Just to be on the safe side, I bought a rebuild kit for about £4 that included all seals, O-rings, and springs. These seem to be easily obtainable for Blackburn pumps, don't know about other makes.

It gets up to 120psi (maybe more), although admittedly this does require some effort. Only improvement I'd make on it would be to somehow build in a flexible length of tube to go to the valve, so I didn't have to hold it right onto the valve. Unless a major piece of it physically breaks, I don't imagine I'll ever need to purchase another pump. The downside is I can't ever really justify treating myself to a sleek new pump!
  • FatGuts
    FatGuts Posts: 20
    dmclite wrote:
    Check.

Mine must be a dud, I cant seem to get it near that sort of pressure & after a while if I push it hard I knock the top off the presta valve.

I only use it now to get enough pressure to get me out of trouble & then pump it up at a devent servo or at home.
  • The_Beast
    The_Beast Posts: 89
    I had trouble with my Giant mini pump, lucky if I got it up to 90psi (which is fine), as it says max 120psi.

I slightly bent the presta valve screw with busting my gut trying to pump them up, arms rocking around. Needless to say the track pump invested in was a godsend, although the Giant mini would be reasonable to take out on long rides though, just in case.
  • my vote is with the 2 second pump. :-) . when your riding with mates that ride a bike every 6 weeks, why break a sweat. they got all the gear but don't even know how to use it, they even struggle taking of a front wheel .
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cougie wrote:
    Aah don't say that - I've just gone to lezyne after my cannondale pump stopped working. It was fine 2 years back when I last needed to use it !
    Anyone know why they do stop working after just sitting there ?

Because they are not just sitting there - they are getting sprayed with road crap continuously. My cruddy Truflo failed after one use for that reason - the Leyzne is far better quality; just don't even think about using the frame mount unless you are purely a fair weather rider. I'd happily slap the wrist of any manufacturer for putting frame mounts in.

On the other hand, got to wonder why proper old fashioned frame fit pumps have gone out of fashion. Ultimately, even cheap crappy ones tend to work and they are less vulnerable to being knackered by road spray. Of course, they'd look odd if you have wibbly wobbly top tubes.........
    Faster than a tent.......