Upgrading shifters, compatible?

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys, I'm currently riding a Kona Coiler 2006, which has Shimano Deore SL-M510 shifters.

A friend recently got a Pitch with SRAM X-5 9 speed triggers, I'm severely jealous of how smooth and easy they are to shift, tap the trigger and bam, gear changed! Bugs me at speed trying to get my gears up and down with the levers.

I realise fitting SRAM could cause issues, do Shimano do a similar system to this thats going to work with the other components on my slightly older bike. Its running standard Shimano front and rear XT mechs.

Would Shimano Deore XT 9 Speed Rapidfire Shifters (M770) provide that same level of confidence and ease with shifting?

If yes & 'Shimano rapidfire' is what I'm after, would you be satisfied with the cheaper SLX and Deore range? Found some second hand Deore XT so might place an offer on these.

Finnaly, assume these are a standard fit, have Truvativ LE Riser bars.

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    iPete wrote:
    Hey guys, I'm currently riding a Kona Coiler 2006, which has Shimano Deore SL-M510 shifters.

A friend recently got a Pitch with SRAM X-5 9 speed triggers, I'm severely jealous of how smooth and easy they are to shift, tap the trigger and bam, gear changed! Bugs me at speed trying to get my gears up and down with the levers.

I realise fitting SRAM could cause issues, do Shimano do a similar system to this thats going to work with the other components on my slightly older bike. Its running standard Shimano front and rear XT mechs.

Would Shimano Deore XT 9 Speed Rapidfire Shifters (M770) provide that same level of confidence and ease with shifting?

If yes & 'Shimano rapidfire' is what I'm after, would you be satisfied with the cheaper SLX and Deore range? Found some second hand Deore XT so might place an offer on these.

Finnaly, assume these are a standard fit, have Truvativ LE Riser bars.

What about Sram Attack shifters?

They will work with your current Shimano setup.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13207

and yes they're a standard fit!

Alternatively Shimano XT and SLX will give you the Thumb push up, Thumb push down (two way release) feature.
  • iPete
    Thanks for the suggestions and for clearing that up! :D
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Im not 100% sure on this but I think SRAM rear mechs have a different leverage ratio (2:1) so only SRAM shifters work with SRAM rear mechs. Shimano use 1:1 so require different shifters but I think SRAM also make some 1:1 shifters.

Im guessing the Kona has a shimano rear mech so i think you're best bet is to try upgrade to a better set of shimano shifters? I think SLX is the way forward, most of the performance of XT but less cost.

But before you upgrading have a read on Park tools webiste and give your gears a service and check everything is set-up correctly.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jairaj wrote:
    Im not 100% sure on this but I think SRAM rear mechs have a different leverage ratio (2:1) so only SRAM shifters work with SRAM rear mechs. Shimano use 1:1 so require different shifters but I think SRAM also make some 1:1 shifters.

Im guessing the Kona has a shimano rear mech so i think you're best bet is to try upgrade to a better set of shimano shifters? I think SLX is the way forward, most of the performance of XT but less cost.

But before you upgrading have a read on Park tools webiste and give your gears a service and check everything is set-up correctly.

wrong.

Sram 1:1 shimano 2:1

sram numbered shifts work with Sram rear mechs, Sram named shifters work with shimano mechs.

If you are not sure please either look it up and get the right info or dont post.

thanks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    nicklouse wrote:
    If you are not sure please either look it up and get the right info or dont post.

thanks.

Ok noted, sorry to the OP for any confusion caused. (I was almost correct just swap the ratios round) :oops:
  • iPete
    No confusion caused, think I'll play it safe and go XLS/XT :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Deore are rapidfire - but it does take a longer throw to shift.

I think some of your problems are set up and cabling.