big up the LBS

phz
phz Posts: 478
edited April 2010 in MTB general
just swapped the cranks and BB on my wifes bike - had a right job removing the old BB as i couldnt shift the drive side cup at all (even though using the correct tool and turning the correct way) - felt like it was cold welded but as it was a plastic cup that couldnt be the case

after a couple of days of WD40 and trying on and off to shift the thing i gave up and took it to the LBS expecting to have to leave it there overnight and pay for 1/2 hour or so labour but the mechanics took it straight in and after 5 minutes had freed the offending part (it did take 3 of them and a long lever though)

anyways - they refused to take any payment at all for this and although its just a small thing its made me thankful to have them there and my next couple of bike-related purchases will now be from there even if i can get it cheaper on the net

slainte :D rob

Comments

• 5xcr
    5xcr Posts: 195
    Hi I might just have to agree with you , as my local LBS is a halfords and they have helped me more than once for free and have just ordered tyres from CRC on friday(in stock) now to be told one of them is unavailable even though there site says they are still in stock.

Do these people want my hard earned cash or what.

So plus 1 For LBS.

5xcr :? :wink:
    12hr days 5 days a week riding to work and back and still the energy to ride 2 other days
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Excluding Halfords, there are five bike shops within easy distance of where I live and predictably they are a mixed bag.

One caters purely for the 'bike as transport' customer, one is all hardcore with everything 10-15% above RRP and the manager eyes me with suspicion every time I go in because he knows I'm not going to buy anything. A couple of the others are very friendly but the other one reminds me of the Gramophone sketch from Not The Nine O'Clock News.
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    I like my lbs. They do the odd thing for nawt, price match to the big online ones, crc, wiggle and this week its winstanleys! Said it before. Its still strange how they just cant get me to get a bike off them. I also do most of my buying in jan/feb so maybe they are glad to have some money going through the till.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    my closest bike store is a 40 minute drive away, they never smile and all look as grumpy as hell and charge a fortune for work. When I go in wearing a suit (I work close by and sneak in).

Strangely when I walk in wearing shorts, t shirt, vans and oakleys they are happy, helpful and will often discount items without asking.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    where is this lbs??
    i have a bottom bracket job in that i have been trying to get out for nearly 3 days now!

they must have a bigger bar than me! :lol:
  • My local bike shop is the best, its a little family run place called City Cycles of Chichester. All the work carried out is very well priced and they usually get within the odd £ to CRC etc plus the more you use them the better discount you get :D
  • scottbowlby
    scottbowlby Posts: 143
    My lbs is also excellent, always helpful in any problems i have, never try to usher me off if no sign of a sale and have done a few oddjobs for me without payment :)

Although i buy most of my stuff online i do try and buy some bits + bobs from them to support em :)
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Mine's a good 'un too. There's a whole bunch of them in Cardiff, but I always go to the one that's about the longest drive across town because I've got to know them over the years and we have a good banter. They also knock money off without being asked or throw the odd thing in. I wanted a headdoctor and 12 rotor bolts the other day because I'd forgotten to order them with my new brakes and they threw them in for free when I bought a chain and BB.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    P-Jay wrote:
    Mine's a good 'un too. There's a whole bunch of them in Cardiff

Which one do you use? I might be landing back in Cardiff at some point.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    For recomending local bike shops,
    There is one outstanding bike shop in York.
    Most are either incompotent or overpriced.

Bike outlet are experts and competetive.

They are also really nice guys too
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    One of my LBS is a ex bike hut Halfords store.
    There's a couple of guys there who really know their onions and are more than happy to help out someone who's equally as interested in bikes as them.
    I don't buy a great pile from them because their range is limited and usually many £ cheaper on-line, but they're handy for odd and ends when I desperate for something for the next day, the guys there know the score and will often tell me where they've seen the parts cheaper.
    They seldom charge for any small jobs, but I always drop in a few cans come Christmas time as a thank you.

.blitz wrote:
    one reminds me of the Gramophone sketch from Not The Nine O'Clock News.

Great link, found this whilst I was there 8)

Swedish Chemist
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    GHill wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:
    Mine's a good 'un too. There's a whole bunch of them in Cardiff

Which one do you use? I might be landing back in Cardiff at some point.

Sunset Cycles Crwys Road way