Team Saxobank

Wildcards:

Radioshack

Team Sky

Katusha

Garmin-Transitions

Cervelo Test Team

BMC Racing Team
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Source? Is this certain?

It makes sense in that they've picked the strongest teams going.

No room for the Dutch tiddlers, the Feillu brothers have had months to "save" the team but done nothing (illness didn't help lanky Brice). Hoogerland might have been interesting but if he's good, let a bigger team sign him. Skill didn't do a whole lot last year, they got the most media attention for having a Japanese rider and for the Lanterne Rouge too.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It's from l'equipe - Official list
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Very surprised that Footon have got in, especially with the all-French Saur squad knocking around.

Otherwise I guess it's pretty much what I expected.
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Kléber
    Footon have the right to enter, given they were part of the original Pro Tour set up.

Even so, I'd rather Footon and Lampre didn't take part as they are unlikely to do much.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    It’s a shame Vaconsoleil didn't make it in, Hoogerland etc. always good value. Is it likely they may add one or two more as time goes on, or is that it do you reckon?
  • Kléber wrote:
    Footon have the right to enter, given they were part of the original Pro Tour set up.

Even so, I'd rather Footon and Lampre didn't take part as they are unlikely to do much.

Was just going to enquire what the heck kind of team Lampre would be sending... I reckon we should go all 2003 retro with Simoni telling anyone who'll listen that he's going ot take it to Armstrong in the mountains. The two of them could have a decent tussle for the coveted "first finisher over 10 minutes back" in the summit finishers.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    I think it is a disgrace Footen have been allowed in. Could ASO not exclude them like last year?? Not as if they have a contender either as far as I am aware of, and therefore I would have liked Vaconsoleil in their place.

Apart from that looks a good selection on sporting grounds, with the strongest teams getting the places.
  • I reckon we should go all 2003 retro with Simoni telling anyone who'll listen that he's going ot take it to Armstrong in the mountains. The two of them could have a decent tussle for the coveted "first finisher over 10 minutes back" in the summit finishers.

Maybe along with white jersey we could have something for the older riders. Maybe an over 35 competition with a beige jersey or cardigan to go along with it :D
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    jim one wrote:
    I think it is a disgrace Footen have been allowed in. Could ASO not exclude them like last year?? Not as if they have a contender either as far as I am aware of, and therefore I would have liked Vaconsoleil in their place.

Apart from that looks a good selection on sporting grounds, with the strongest teams getting the places.

Take a look at the riders they have on their team. It is the youngest team by average age. Almost a team fron scratch.

As for them being included, I would prefer not as they don't have a great line-up, I would imagine there will be a lot of DNF and their kit is bloody awful so they will spoil my visual pleasure somewhat!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Well they're the six wild cards I would have picked. It's unfortunate for Vacansoleil who have done as much as coud be expected, but they just don't bring any big names to the party. And the Tour should have the best riders present.

I'd rather they were there instead of some of the guaranteed teams. Have Lampre sorted out their finances and paperwork yet? There way be a way in for them there.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    I'm surprised there's no Vacansoleil as they put a bit of effort in at the Oman and Qatar races.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Vacansolieil must be gutted.
    By far the most successful of those competing for that final place.
    Look to Evans to pull out of the Giro.
    Would have been interesting to see him give it a real go.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Vacansolieil must be gutted.
    By far the most successful of those competing for that final place.
    Look to Evans to pull out of the Giro.
    Would have been interesting to see him give it a real go.

I reckon BMC are very lucky to get in. I reckon Evans should still go for the Giro. It's his best chance ever of winning a Grand Tour.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Another one that is a bit gutted not to see a Vacansoleil team in there - they've ridden hard this season so far, get involved in breaks and with the TdF starting in the Netherlands, would have been appropriate. I guess you can't argue with the 6 - it is really some of the teams guaranteed entry that are the ones I have a problem with!
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    mroli wrote:
    Another one that is a bit gutted not to see a Vacansoleil team in there - they've ridden hard this season so far, get involved in breaks and with the TdF starting in the Netherlands, would have been appropriate. I guess you can't argue with the 6 - it is really some of the teams guaranteed entry that are the ones I have a problem with!

Agreed, what will Milram, Lampre and Lotto offer ?? Very little I suspect.

Le Chicken will be riding for Footon. :wink: :roll:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Are Lampre really that weak - potentially I'd have thought they have a far stronger squad than Vacansoleil - I suppose Vacansoleil would send their A team to the tour and Lampre may not.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • iainf72
    Perhaps some of the riders on Vacansolieil put ASO off?
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    iainf72 wrote:

Who might you be refering to Iain ???
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    time for cycling to admit the ProTour was a bit of a cock up really. What point is there in having a team like BBox have to ride the Tour of Flanders, when they have no real interest in the race, at the expense of a strong belgian team whose riders could gain valuable exposure. the silliest thing was seeing Euskaltel sending their cannon fodder to Paris-Roubaix.

IMHO, a free market should operate: race organisers will be able to invite the biggest teams with drawcard names, and also invite good local/national teams who really care, rather than a pro-tour team having to send their riders to a race they don't want to do.

ps: to the person who questioned what team Lampre would send, they could send Petacchi, he can mix it up in sprints, but I accept the point that they are a team more concerned about the Italian races. liquigas seem to care about both, as with Nibali and Basso they have contenders for both
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    This is the last year of the old agreement between the Pro Tour teams and the three GTs. As from next year it's the top 17 teams in the world rankings (irrespective of Pro-Tour, Pro-Conti status) + whatever wild cards the organisers want to hand out.

This is the latest world rankings:

1 1 CAISSE D'EPARGNE (GCE) ESP 327
    2 4 TEAM HTC - COLUMBIA (THR) USA 249
    3 6 TEAM KATUSHA (KAT) RUS 247
    4 5 LIQUIGAS-DOIMO (LIQ) ITA 210
    5 2 ASTANA (AST) KAZ 209
    6 3 RABOBANK (RAB) NED 166
    7 8 BMC RACING TEAM (BMC) USA 157
    8 17 CERVELO TEST TEAM (CTT) SUI 132
    9 7 ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI - SERRAMENTI PVC DIQUIGIOVANNI (AND) ITA 118
    10 9 ACQUA & SAPONE (ASA) ITA 116
    11 18 OMEGA PHARMA-LOTTO (OLO) BEL 115
    12 19 COFIDIS, LE CREDIT EN LIGNE (COF) FRA 113
    13 10 LAMPRE-FARNESE VINI (LAM) ITA 101
    14 11 SKY PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM (SKY) GBR 99
    15 12 COLNAGO - CSF INOX (CSF) IRL 93
    16 13 QUICK STEP (QST) BEL 92
    17 20 GARMIN - SLIPSTREAM (GRM) USA 92
    18 14 TEAM MILRAM (MRM) GER 76
    19 16 TEAM SAXO BANK (SAX) DEN 76
    20 - TOPSPORT VLAANDEREN - MERCATOR (TSV) BEL 60
    21 15 EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI (EUS) ESP 56
    22 26 AG2R LA MONDIALE (ALM) FRA 55
    23 24 TEAM RADIOSHACK (RSH) USA 27
    24 23 FRANÇAISE DES JEUX (FDJ) FRA 12
    25 21 BBOX BOUYGUES TELECOM (BTL) FRA 11
    26 22 FOOTON-SERVETTO (FOT) ESP 7
    27 25 SAUR - SOJASUN (SAU) FRA 6
  • RichN95.
    Would I be right in assuming that the top 17 will be taken from the end of year rankings?
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    not sure Rich - I'd assume they'd either use end of year rankings or maybe a one year ranking rolling back from the decision date (e.g March 29th 2010 - March 28th 2011 for the TdF next year).
  • RichN95.
    not sure Rich - I'd assume they'd either use end of year rankings or maybe a one year ranking rolling back from the decision date (e.g March 29th 2010 - March 28th 2011 for the TdF next year).

Since asking, I've found out it's the end of year list they're going by.
  • pat1cp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Who might you be refering to Iain ???

Heeere's Johnny...is who I think Iain is referring to.
  • Kléber
    Christian Prudhomme explains himself, see http://theinnerring.blogspot.com/ where there's a translated interview with the race boss. In summary, Evans and his technicolour dream jersey did it for BMC.
  • iainf72
    Kléber wrote:
    Christian Prudhomme explains himself, see http://theinnerring.blogspot.com/ where there's a translated interview with the race boss. In summary, Evans and his technicolour dream jersey did it for BMC.

Not really surprising. I also believe Prudhomme likes Cadel quite a lot.

Personally, I hope he goes for the overall in the Giro and tries for a high overall in the Tour.
  • Kléber
    I can't think of a race that Footon have had an impact on this year. I know they've got a couple of wins but if Euskatel haven't won, I remember them trying to set up Sanchez in Paris-Nice. Footon have been anonymous, I can barely remember their hideous kit.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Kléber wrote:
    I can't think of a race that Footon have had an impact on this year. I know they've got a couple of wins but if Euskatel haven't won, I remember them trying to set up Sanchez in Paris-Nice. Footon have been anonymous, I can barely remember their hideous kit.

But you remember it's hideous ;)
  • Kléber
    I've looked it up, they took a stage of the Tour de San Luis in Argentina and two days later, a stage win in the Tour Down Under. But since 21 January they haven't won a thing and I can't see them doing anything in July.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    I imagine Prudhomme is desperately hoping that a Footon rider transgresses and gets caught so he can kick them out again. Given how they've been riding though, one can only assume they are either clean or they need a new supplier. :wink: