Building a Wheel - Number of Spokes

LazyLoki
LazyLoki Posts: 127
edited March 2010 in Workshop
Hi guys,

Thinking of building up a wheelset but just wanted to clarify one thing first. I want to use Mavic Open Pro rims laced to Campagnolo Record hubs. The hubs have 32 holes and I can get the rims with either 32 or 28 holes.

I'm a fairly light rider and I want these wheels to be light so I don't think I need 32 spokes but can I use the rims with 28 holes even though the hubs have 32? Do you have to put a spoke in every hole in the hub or is it ok to just use 28 of them?

Comments

• ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    match the rims to the hubs, keeps the spoking pattern and distribution even to help build a good strong wheel.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    match the rims to the hubs, keeps the spoking pattern and distribution even to help build a good strong wheel.
    +1

Change your hubs.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    hopper1 wrote:
    ynyswen24 wrote:
    +1

Change your hubs.

Record is not available in 28 hole, they are only made in 32 and 36.
  • LazyLoki
    LazyLoki Posts: 127
    Fair enough, 32 hole open pros it is then. Why don't they make groupset hubs like Record, Ultegra etc with less than 32 spoke holes anyway? They're supposed to be top quality hubs so how come nobodys building them into really light wheelsets with 20 or 34 spokes such as some factory wheels have?
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    Use 3 cross pattern for a first build.

Most of the factory wheelsets are radially laced, with less spokes
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    LazyLoki wrote:
    Fair enough, 32 hole open pros it is then. Why don't they make groupset hubs like Record, Ultegra etc with less than 32 spoke holes anyway? They're supposed to be top quality hubs so how come nobodys building them into really light wheelsets with 20 or 34 spokes such as some factory wheels have?

It would effect sales of their high end low weight factory wheel sets.
    They are not interested in selling you easy to replace parts anymore.They like the idea of selling you a whole new wheel when your rim is worn instead.