Scott Voltage FR30 - advice

tombarton
tombarton Posts: 132
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi there
I am very interested in buying the new Scott Voltage FR30 but have a few questions.

I am 5'11, am i right to go for the 'long' size?

Where is the cheapest place to get one?

Is it pedallable? I would like a bike that i can thrash the jumps and DH tracks but still cycle back to the top of the hill and also can do the odd sub-10 mile xc run on. Am i looking at the wrong machine? Is it too heavy?

Does anybody have one? I would love to hear any thoughts and opinions!

And finally...are there any alternatives for a similar price? (<£1500)

thanks
tom

Comments

• Koiler
    Koiler Posts: 513
    this doesnt help you but i REALLY want one of those!

sorry

anyway, i dont think you can get i bike that will do all of those things well, there needs to be a compromise somewhere, if you go for a good XC bike, its not gonna take DH very well, and vice versa.

the voltage is a freeride machine so should be pedalable

i'd say that if the majority of your riding is going to be DH/ jumps etc, with only a little xc, then its probably a good choice although someone will proably be along to recommend something better
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    it wll be ok for xc- pedable but slow. i would go for medium- on fr/dh/jump bikes it is a good idea to get a slightly smaller size than normal, for more manouverabily etc.
  • tombarton
    yeah.I would much rather point the bike downhill and let gravity do its thing but there is always a time when i need to go up and i do a few XC rides every now and again. i realise that this thing won't be the best pedaller but i would like to know just how 'bad' it is. thanks
  • tombarton
    they only do two sizes in it short or long. If this helps you to understand what i want from a bike my other options were a Specialized SX Trail, Commencal Mini DH or a Giant Reign. Then I saw this beast!
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    The frames TT is stretched on the long version with a more stretched out geometry, I believe the actual seattube length stays the same, depends on your dimensions as well.

You need to try TBH - Evans have them, do you have one near you?

I sat on one, Im 6' with average proportions and actually found the short (which was all they had in the store) fitted comfortably, however, I have a 32" inside leg..... hence why you need to try them out.

They are not designed for all day riding (XC) so bear that in mind ;)
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Ring Evans in Reading.. i was chatting to blokey in there yesterday who's just bought one. (works there)
  • tombarton
    anybody own one?
  • I've heard they dont pedal too well... especially with 1 chainring up front.

i'd be looking at a spesh sx trail or even an enduro...depending on how much xc you're likely to be doing...
  • tombarton
    right thanks for the info. ye the sx was my 1st choice but id rather buy new but dont have more than £1500 to spend so i switched to the scott. Hmmm. I will be doing the loops at gisburn forest quite often on it. are you familiar with gisburn? What do you think?
  • not a fapping hope in hell hat you'll enjoy Gisburn on a single ring 180mm travel freeride FS that weighs 37lb :shock: :lol:

I didn't enjoy riding my 33lb 160mm HT there!
  • tombarton
    not a fan of gisburn? Ha ye i realise it wont be ideal. My mate rides it 3 times a week on his big hit! But he's a mentalist. I find myself pushing some parts anyway. Uphills definitely not my favourite direction. Im gona head to leisurelakes this week and have a pedal on one. Should be able to decide. Any other options? Iv been looking for a used sx trail for months now but nothing decent available. Id much rather buy new too. Take advantage of 0% finance!
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i really like those bikes but the spec is quite bad IMO. i want one but just a frame and built it up. btw it's go you can sit on it before buying
  • tombarton wrote:
    not a fan of gisburn? Ha ye i realise it wont be ideal. My mate rides it 3 times a week on his big hit! But he's a mentalist. I find myself pushing some parts anyway. Uphills definitely not my favourite direction. Im gona head to leisurelakes this week and have a pedal on one. Should be able to decide. Any other options? Iv been looking for a used sx trail for months now but nothing decent available. Id much rather buy new too. Take advantage of 0% finance!
    Love Gisburn!

Tis one of the reasons I sold my NS :P
  • btw.. Tredz sell the sx trail with 10% deposit and 0% finance.

the SX trail 1 has a very respectable spec.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-SX- ... _28573.htm