Getting weight down on Anthem

Pigeon.
Pigeon. Posts: 49
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Recently built up an Anthem X with a SID Team fork and it's currently weighing in at 28lbs with pedals. Looking to get 2.5 to 3lbs off the weight if possible. Rest of the spec is XT group-set, Thomson Elite 400mm post, 717 rims on LX hubs, Panaracer Fire pro XC tyres, Hope XC stem, RF Diabolous bars. Plan is to change the wheels (Supersonic has given me a couple of lightweight options) and bars, are there any other obvious ways to get a decent weight saving? Also does going tubeless save much weight?
Any suggestions gratefully received
cheers

Pigeon

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i would get some light tyres
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Diabolous bars aren't light IIRC? The seatpost's not svelte either, though strong- but also very sellable. Saddle? Definately wheels.

TITANIUM BOLTS! No shut up.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Pigeon.
    Currently got an On One Big nose saddle, have seen a lot of good things written about the Fik-ik Gobi?

cheers

Pigeon
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, the seatpost is an anvil. If you are not a heavy rider, and don't need 400mm, have a look at the Exotic Carbon posts.

I'd have to say are lighter stems for less money too.
  • Pigeon.
    Thanks Supersonic, about 13st, is that light enough to go for the lighter post?

cheers
    Pigeon
  • supersonic
    Yes, I believe so. I am that weight, and is what I use.

You would need a shim, but a good weight saving!

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&c=47&p=798&
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Regarding the saddle, there's no point saving a few grams if it disagrees with your arse... best to try before you buy.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    edited March 2010
    if it is comfortable for you, the charge spoon ti rail saddle?
    and exotic cycles carbon bar, stem, and seatpost
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    Torres wrote:
    Regarding the saddle, there's no point saving a few grams if it disagrees with your ars*... best to try before you buy.

I'll second that.

It's so tempting to go for the lightest option, but will it be the BEST option. Choose wisely.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    supersonic wrote:
    Yes, I believe so. I am that weight, and is what I use.

You would need a shim, but a good weight saving!

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=0&c=47&p=798&

Is there anything similar about with a setback sonic?

I've just got a layback Thomson for my Anthem, but it's about 20g heavier than the OEM post :lol: I'm not too fussed because I love the look of it and I'm going for lightweight trail bike rather than out and out weight weenie, but it does go against my target of making any new parts lighter than the ones they replace.
  • supersonic
    Yes, they do a Cobra post too.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Pigeon. wrote:
    Also does going tubeless save much weight?
    Pigeon

Can save a bit of weight but its marginal. You loose the inner tube but a UST tyre weights more than its normal equivalent and sealant weights a bit too also if using a converter kit then the rim strip adds some weight. So its swings and roundabouts. If using a normal light weight tyre on a UST wheel set then you could probably save a bit of weight here.

When I converted to tubeless wheels the major weight loss was from the new wheelset, not from the actual tubeless side of it. But there are many rim and tyre combinations to choose from. Try out a few numbers and see if you can find any decent combination.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    In all honesty I wouldn't look at tubeless as a weight saving tool. I suppose it will make you quicker in that you'll be stopping to fix punctures less often, that's certainly been the case for me, but superlight tubes and flimsy tyres (that wouldn't work tubeless) would be a better way to lose weight.*

*better = more grams saved. Reliability may be an issue though. Depends how and where you ride, and how good you are at puncture repairs!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • starseven
    starseven Posts: 112
    Wheels, Wheels, Wheels....

I knocked a couple of pound of my anthem with a wheel, tyre and cassete change.

These numbers are guessed a bit but it was something like:

Cassette pg 990 over deore 200g
    2 tubes replaced with yellow tape and goo 200g
    stans 355 and hope pro 2 over dp17 6/700g
    schwalbe tyres over kenda 200g
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    What size frame is it?

My small framed Anthem X4 is now around 24lbs with a similar spec to yours (stock Giant quote 28lbs for a medium X4 excl pedals).

I'm using a 300mm Thomson post and Thomson stem with full XT, Formula K18 brakes and Next SL carbon bars which were only 145g. Got a set of Candy 2ti pedals on the way.

I saved the majority with the wheelset and tyres.

I'm running Stans Olympic rims with Dirty Flea hubs and DT Rev spokes. Tubeless with yellow tape, Stans fluid, KCNC ti skewers and Schwalbe Dirty Dan 2.0 tyres (will switch to RR when the weather improves).

The wheels are around 1500g inc skewers and the tyres with valves, tape and fluid are only just over 500g per wheel. This set up lost almost 3lbs compared to the oem X4 set up.

You could probably lose 2lbs with lighter wheels run tubeless and lighter tyres.
  • supersonic
    Not directed at you lol, but unsure why people upgrade to Thomson when wanting to save weight - it is far from light weight.
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I personally didn't use Thomson to save weight. I already had the stem and transferred it from another bike.

I used a Thomson post as it's tough as old boots, has got a great adjustment set up and the finish is hard wearing when the post is being dropped etc.

Incidentally the Thomson items were lighter than the Giant ones which was a bonus.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Mine is of similar (ish) spec..Anthem X frame , RS Sid Team, XT drivetrain..23.5lbs....you can save plently weight..budget permitting..I don't have anything overly weight weenie on my spec (well foam Bonti grips/ Kcnc skewers).
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep wheels have got to be the first port of call. What has SS recommended?

If you go for a Stan's rim (and I would definitely suggest it) then you can easily run a conventional tyre tubeless and then there is a definite weight saving. Schwalbe work particularly well. Going for something like Rocket Rons (c405g), or Racing Ralphs (c460g) will also drop half a pound over Fire XCs, allow you to run lower tyre pressures and reduce punctures. No reason not to frankly!

Obviously bear in mind that seatpost shims are around 20g, it's often lighter to get the right sized post where it's an option!

They're a fair bit more expensive than the CarbonCycles jobbies, but New Ultimate alu posts come in 30.9x350 and weigh 130g, for £105.
  • Pigeon.
    Thanks for all the advice,

njee, these were the two options Supersonic gave me:

1. XTR hubs, on Stans ZTR 355 rims and DT Revo spokes. SHould be under 400 quid and a weight (calculated) of 1450g for the pair.

2. Pair DT 240s hubs handbuilt with DT 4.2 disc rims and DT black spokes.

* Pair DT super light 240s disc hubs
    * Choice of 6 bolt or shimano centre lock fitting, plus 15mm front and Q/R rear in Shimano centre lock
    * DT 4.2 disc rims in black
    * Handbuilt with DT Competition double butted spokes in black
    * Includes the new RWS DT front and rear Thru axle skewers for use on any Q/R frame or fork but a much safer fixing, 15mm version excludes the axle
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Fair enough, both decent wheels, personally I'd definitely go for the Stan's build, although I'd get the new Crest rims.

If you could stretch to 240s on Crests then that'd be the best of both worlds IMO, or check out the Stans ZTR hubs.