Frame 52/54

speedy21
speedy21 Posts: 153
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
am i right in thinking that i can set a 52 frame and a 54cm to feel the same by changing the stem and moving the seat. im struggling to decide which fits best

Comments

• yes - your right imho - you could get them to feel very similar.

BUT - its a lot easier to make a bike "bigger" than it is "smaller"....

Are you struggling having tried both out ? - or from an anlaysis of your measurements ?

There are of course 53's out there aswell ?
  • speedy21
    yes im struggling after having tried both out. il be keeping either the 52 or 54 because im happy with the deal etc, im just wandering which way is best to go if either, i found the smaller bike a little twitchy when standing but am wandering if simply a longer stem would fix this as the extra stand over clearance could be used but is not essential
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Depends on the bikes you are trying..... a 52 in one brand is the same as a 53 in another. Also depends on frame style. For instance, I ride a 55.5cm Giant but I'd ride a 58cm Trek.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    One thing you can't fix on a smaller frame with stem or saddle changes/adjustments is 'toe overlap' (where your feet touch the front wheel when it's turned). I guess you could change crank arm length or clip position to help reduce these though.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    On a smaller frame you also have the "arse up/head down" thing going on. Not good if you aren't racing and don't want an aero position
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
  • You shouldn't really have an overlap issue with a 52 - unless you have particualrly large feet for your height.
    When you are riding the respective bikes - where are your hands most comfortable - end up after 20 minutes. You should be confy for an hour on the hoods, if your hands are pullin gback from them over a ride than you might perfer the smaller set up (presuming that stem lengths etc are all proportional in size). As someone else mentioned what do you want the bike for - racing/sportives etc

let me guess - 5'8" with maybe a 31" inside leg ?
  • speedy21
    haha thats my exact measurements, maybe 5"7.5, why you say that is it an inbetween sizing.. i tried the smaller bike earlier with the longer stem and it still felt a little small so ive decided to keep the bigger bike, il probably end up putting a shorter stem on it i think but i think its the right choice, i wont be racing just fitness and sportives,
  • speedy21 wrote:
    am i right in thinking that i can set a 52 frame and a 54cm to feel the same by changing the stem and moving the seat. im struggling to decide which fits best

No not really since the difference between a 52 and 54 isn't just 2 cm since it could also be the length of the top tube and angle of the seat tube. You seat position is based not how stretched out you want to be but on the angle of your knee in relation to the pedal. Start playing around with the seat for anything other than this and you risk physical damage to the knee. The top tube length should also fit you since it's be designed the length it is based on the average torso size for either a 52 or 54. If you want to bring the handlebars closer fit a smaller stem (or longer for the opposite effect). So just to recap, focus on the stem and not seat once you have decided on the right frame size... Does this answer your question?

Tim

www.bikegpsadvisor.co.uk
  • speedy21
    yes thanks i think im on the right track, i gone ride the bigger frame for a couple of weeks and see how much i find my hands coming back and then i think il try a shorter stem, ive put the seat in the right position for my knee and il be leaving that where it is now, il report back when i know more
    thanks all