Beginner Friendly Cycling clubs in Surrey?

Shark Sandwich
Shark Sandwich Posts: 77
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
Pour your wisdom upon me!

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Kingston Wheelers have a good reputation as do South West Road Club. However as I am not a member of either of these I can only speak second hand. Which, of course, may be of no use to you at all. :roll:
  • Cheers mate, i will check them out!
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    not sure how far down in Surrey you are ? but Addiscombe CC meet every Sat morning at Coulsdon South Station - and do a club run down to Charlwood ( nr Gatwick ), and back.. Usually split into avg speed groups eg ; training group, then 19 mph avg , then say 17's avg, and a beginners / just for fun group that av 15... V friendly club ; nickname ; The Agreeables :)
    Just come along and say hi - I'm sure you would get on fine...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Look on British Cycling and see if there is a Go Ride club in your areas - these run special beginner-friendly programmes
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Where in Surrey are you?
  • Im based in Dorking, so SWRC and Kingston seem like good choices.

@bam49 - As i am without car at the momenti think Coulsdon might be a little out of my way, but i'll have a check into distances today.
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    Mr Sandwich

Did you find a decent club?

I too live in the dorking area, ride 4 - 5 times a week and looking to join a club now, one that races preferbly.

Cheers
  • Do you know what , i havent had aweekend free for the last month or so and have had to postpone looking into any clubs. Redhill CC looks like the first one i would make enquirioes with though

Whereabouts do you ride normally?
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    Well im in capel so evening rides after work are generally to boxhill and back and weekend rides are up to boxhill then round the back through hedley down lodgebottom lane and up boxhill again a few times. I don't drive so I don't know the roads too well so I'm only really sticking the routes I know. I was considering redhill too out of all them.

Edit: misspelling of roads :?
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    There's Horsham as well.

At the moment there are 5 rides, of different speeds and distances, that start on Sundays between 9 and 9.30.

Full details here:
    http://www.horshamcycling.co.uk

I joined last summer and everyone was really friendly despite that fact that I was a complete newbie.
  • Spawn3323
    Spawn3323 Posts: 22
    I'm in egham Surrey, any clubs near there?
  • garryc wrote:
    There's Horsham as well.

At the moment there are 5 rides, of different speeds and distances, that start on Sundays between 9 and 9.30.

Full details here:
    http://www.horshamcycling.co.uk

I joined last summer and everyone was really friendly despite that fact that I was a complete newbie.

Easy mate,

I have had a look at Horshams website and it looks like a really good club, especailly as its relatively new which is good to see, but i think Horshams a bit too far out for me (no car!).

Has your riding improved much by joining a club do you think?
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    Has your riding improved much by joining a club do you think?

Without a doubt.
    But I only started cycling 'seriously' (by that I mean a proper bike and kit) in June 09 when I drunkenly voluntreered for a charity ride.

After my first ride with the club (August 09, 40miles av spd 16mph) I was nearly dead. Now I just feel knackered. So a definate improvement, so much so that this weekend I felt confident enough to have a go at a time trial, brilliant fun and I'll be doing it again, it was the fastest 10 miles I've ever ridden. Again, despite being a complete newbie at the TT thing the serious guys with all the kit were very friendly and supportive.