What tools, bits and bobs should I be carrying?

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    In theory...

Got a shard of glass through my front tyre (a Marathon Plus nonetheless!) and try as I could, I couldn't remove it completely from the tyre, so I scraped off what I could then covered up the remains with a tyre patch, to stop any remaining jagged edges from puncturing the tube again. Did this with the intent of having a proper go at it once I got home.

Three years later, it's still there, haven't p**ctured since :D
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    Am I crazy or have I just been lucky?

I carry nothing at all by way of tools for my regular daily 6 mile commute. In 3-4 years of commuting almost every day I have had one puncture and one occasion when a wheel nut worked loose. Both times I simply pushed my bike to the nearest bike shop and was on my way shortly.

For longer rides I would take a puncture repair kit, pump and a multi-tool, but I've never used any of that. How often are you guys actually experiencing punctures or other problems? I'm genuinely surprised by the amount of stuff that people are carrying.
    I do the same, just make sure I have the cash for a taxi if needed, luckally on my route im never more than 1 mile from home/work/another office for who I work for/a mate. Guess if you have that luxary on your route its worth it for a plan b.

Typically the one day I do get a visit from the PF (well it was a snake bite but I still call it a visit) was when I had to be home on time as me and the other half were going to look at a church to get married in.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    5milestogo wrote:
    Zipties, anyone else carry zip ties? I used them to tie spokes together but thats it so far? What have you used them for?

used tonight for securing the mudguard to the eyelet, as the bolt worked loose and came out; looked for it on the road but no chance
  • desmosedici
    desmosedici Posts: 117
    I carry the following in one of the panniers.

2 tubes
    1 tyre
    Chain tool & spare links
    Pump
    Multi tool
    Allen keys
    Patch kit
    Small medical kit
    Pedal spanner
    6" shifter
    Pliers
    Spare gear and brake cables
    Spare AA & AAA batteries for the lights
    Spare light
    Small tin box containing random nuts, bolts, washers
    Zip ties in various sizes
    Duct and electrical tape
    Bog roll (soft, strong, and very long)
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208

2 tubes
    1 tyre
    Chain tool & spare links
    Pump
    Multi tool
    Allen keys
    Patch kit
    Small medical kit
    Pedal spanner
    6" shifter
    Pliers
    Spare light
    Duct and electrical tape

A classic example of why you should never put panniers on a pedal cycle (unless you're doing a round the world trip perhaps).
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    prj45 wrote:

2 tubes
    1 tyre
    Chain tool & spare links
    Pump
    Multi tool
    Allen keys
    Patch kit
    Small medical kit
    Pedal spanner
    6" shifter
    Pliers
    Spare light
    Duct and electrical tape

A classic example of why you should never put panniers on a pedal cycle (unless you're doing a round the world trip perhaps).

:lol:

Agreed. How far is the commute in question?
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    prj45 wrote:

2 tubes
    1 tyre
    Chain tool & spare links
    Pump
    Multi tool
    Allen keys
    Patch kit
    Small medical kit
    Pedal spanner
    6" shifter
    Pliers
    Spare light
    Duct and electrical tape

I also carry tons of cr*p, but it doesnt really slow me down, its also nice to know where it is at home as people always move things.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    ... I simply pushed my bike to the nearest bike shop and was on my way shortly....
    For longer rides I would take a puncture repair kit, pump and a multi-tool, but I've never used any of that. ... I'm genuinely surprised by the amount of stuff that people are carrying.

My commuting is generally a long way from a bike shop and I prefer to avoid having to call for help.
    I carry a spanner/tyre lever combination tool I made myself, a pump/tube/patch-kit and some zip-ties.
    I also carry a Swiss Army knife all the time. That's not bike specific but I'd need to carry other bike tools if I didn't have it with me.

Cheers,
    W.

PS If I'm on a longer ride (commute or other), I might add an adjustable spanner and an extra tube or if I've been fettling, then I might add extra tools, in case something's not quite right, or works loose (I currently have a couple of allen keys and a chain tool in my bag for this reason).
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    edited March 2010
    Rolf F wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    One side (the drive side, I think) is threaded so that the pedalling motion will naturally unscrew the pedal from the crank. Unless the pedal is properly tightened.

Should be opposite threaded so they do tighten up as you pedal. If you've been tightening them up in the same direction, I'd hate to see your screw threads :lol:

You may want to double check that. The right pedal undoes anti-clockwise, which means that as the crank turns clockwise, the pedal unscrews itself. The reverse is true on the left. Try it - loosen a pedal and turn the crank (without allowing the pedal axle to rotate) The pedal will eventually come off. Why it's like this is anyone's guess. I always thought it was the other way too until I tried it one day.

I even had an argument about it while out on a ride with someone, which culminated it taking the pedal off in the middle of a field just to prove it.

I'm ready to be corrected of course....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bike shops are usually shut when I'm riding......

Anyway, I'd never be without a trolley jack on my rides. You never know when you might need one.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    I carry, multi tool, pump, tube, punture repair kit (with glue) self adhesive patches, fa kit, bungee cord.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    dresbo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    One side (the drive side, I think) is threaded so that the pedalling motion will naturally unscrew the pedal from the crank. Unless the pedal is properly tightened.

Should be opposite threaded so they do tighten up as you pedal. If you've been tightening them up in the same direction, I'd hate to see your screw threads :lol:

You may want to double check that. The right pedal undoes anti-clockwise, which means that as the crank turns clockwise, the pedal unscrews itself. The reverse is true on the left. Try it - loosen a pedal and turn the crank (without allowing the pedal axle to rotate) The pedal will eventually come off. Why it's like this is anyone's guess. I always thought it was the other way too until I tried it one day.

I even had an argument about it while out on a ride with someone, which culminated it taking the pedal off in the middle of a field just to prove it.

The term you are looking for here is Precession - Wiki:
    Precession is the name given to the process of one part rotating with respect to another due to fretting between the two. It is described as "precession, in which a round object rolling in a circular ring in one direction will itself turn in the opposite direction." "In machinery, fretting is the micro-motion of tightly fitting parts that superficially appear immobile with respect to each other."

"For a pedal, a rotating load arises from downward pedaling force on a spindle rotating with its crank making the predominantly downward force effectively rotate about the pedal spindle. What may be less evident is that even tightly fitting parts have relative clearance due to their elasticity, metals not being rigid materials as is evident from steel springs. Under load, micro deformations, enough to cause motion, occur in such joints. This can be seen from wear marks where pedal spindles seat on crank faces."

Precession - Sheldon
    The right pedal has a normal thread, but the left pedal has a left (reverse) thread.

The reason for this is not obvious: The force from bearing friction would, in fact, tend to unscrew pedals threaded in this manner. The fact is, however, that it is not the bearing friction that makes pedals unscrew themselves, but a phenomenon called "precession".

You can demonstrate this to yourself by performing a simple experiment. Hold a pencil loosely in one fist, and move the end of it in a circle. You will see that the pencil, as it rubs against the inside of your fist, rotates in the opposite direction.

Ignorant people outside the bike industry sometimes make the astonishing discovery that the way it has been done for 100 years is "wrong." "Look at these fools, they go to the trouble of using a left thread on one pedal, then the bozos go and put the left thread on the wrong side! Shows that bicycle designers have no idea what they are doing..."

Another popular theory of armchair engineers is that the threads are done this way so that, if the pedal bearing locks up, the pedal will unscrew itself instead of breaking the rider's ankle.

The left threaded left pedal was not the result of armchair theorizing, it was a solution to a real problem: people's left pedals kept unscrewing! I have read that this was invented by the Wright brothers, but I am not sure of this.

Note! The precession effect doesn't substitute for screwing your pedals in good and tight. It is very important to do so. The threads (like virtually all threads on a bicycle) should be lubricated with grease, or at least with oil.
  • lots of stuff that made my head hurt

So, was I right after all?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I thought most pedals had an allen key hole in the spindle anyway, so no need for a hefty pedal spanner.

Also, why all the adjustable spanners? I don't think there's a single thing on my bike that would need a spanner. It's all hex and torx bolts.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:
    lots of stuff that made my head hurt

+1 :?
  • il_principe
    bails87 wrote:
    I thought most pedals had an allen key hole in the spindle anyway, so no need for a hefty pedal spanner.

Also, why all the adjustable spanners? I don't think there's a single thing on my bike that would need a spanner. It's all hex and torx bolts.

A few of us ride SS/Fixed - so we need a spanner for removing wheels in case of p*unctures.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Greg66 wrote:
    lots of stuff that made my head hurt

So, was I right after all?
    No. Just differently wrong.

Perhaps.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    dresbo wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

The term you are looking for here is Precession - Wiki:
    Precession is the name given to the process of one part rotating with respect to another due to fretting between the two. It is described as "precession, in which a round object rolling in a circular ring in one direction will itself turn in the opposite direction." "In machinery, fretting is the micro-motion of tightly fitting parts that superficially appear immobile with respect to each other."

"For a pedal, a rotating load arises from downward pedaling force on a spindle rotating with its crank making the predominantly downward force effectively rotate about the pedal spindle. What may be less evident is that even tightly fitting parts have relative clearance due to their elasticity, metals not being rigid materials as is evident from steel springs. Under load, micro deformations, enough to cause motion, occur in such joints. This can be seen from wear marks where pedal spindles seat on crank faces."

Precession - Sheldon
    The right pedal has a normal thread, but the left pedal has a left (reverse) thread.

The reason for this is not obvious: The force from bearing friction would, in fact, tend to unscrew pedals threaded in this manner. The fact is, however, that it is not the bearing friction that makes pedals unscrew themselves, but a phenomenon called "precession".

You can demonstrate this to yourself by performing a simple experiment. Hold a pencil loosely in one fist, and move the end of it in a circle. You will see that the pencil, as it rubs against the inside of your fist, rotates in the opposite direction.

Ignorant people outside the bike industry sometimes make the astonishing discovery that the way it has been done for 100 years is "wrong." "Look at these fools, they go to the trouble of using a left thread on one pedal, then the bozos go and put the left thread on the wrong side! Shows that bicycle designers have no idea what they are doing..."

Another popular theory of armchair engineers is that the threads are done this way so that, if the pedal bearing locks up, the pedal will unscrew itself instead of breaking the rider's ankle.

The left threaded left pedal was not the result of armchair theorizing, it was a solution to a real problem: people's left pedals kept unscrewing! I have read that this was invented by the Wright brothers, but I am not sure of this.

Note! The precession effect doesn't substitute for screwing your pedals in good and tight. It is very important to do so. The threads (like virtually all threads on a bicycle) should be lubricated with grease, or at least with oil.

Brilliant! I knew there had to be a reason, but never knew what it was. Sheldon (and Il Principe) to the rescue once again. Thank you for enlightening me. Seems we were both wrong and both right.
  • wgwarburton
    bails87 wrote:
    ... why all the adjustable spanners? I don't think there's a single thing on my bike that would need a spanner. It's all hex and torx bolts.
    A few of us ride SS/Fixed - so we need a spanner for removing wheels in case of p*unctures.

I have a gizmo for that. The adjustable is for everything else: mudguard bolts, toeclip nuts, seat clamp nuts, brake blocks, calipers, pedals...
    There are a few irritating hex bolts (stem, chainrings) that need an allen key but mostly my bikes are held together with normal nuts & bolts...

Cheers,
    W.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    You are only going 7 miles and it sounds like it is urban, so there are buses, taxis and bike shops if anything goes wrong

I do 15 miles of Devon and I carry

multitool - with allen keys, knife, chain splitter
    mini pliers - with wire cutter
    small pack of m5 bolts/nuts/etc
    puncture repair kit
    2 spare tubes
    tyre boot - this is to deal with holes in the casing of the tyre. It is just an old bit of tyre
    2 steel tyre levers
    adjustable spanner ( back wheel is held on with track nuts )
    8mm/10mm spanner ( i have mudguards )

I always carry the same tools/spares if I'm going to the shop or across Wales. I just leave them in the bag, saves thinking
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Old job 7 miles each way in town - carried just tyre levers and patches. Figured I would walk / borrow a pump off another commuter if needed and left a multi tool and pump in my desk drawer (my last couple of punctures have been slow so that I haven't noticed the flat until I go to ride home at the end of the day).

New job 14 miles each way through the countryside - punture repair kit, pump and multitool.

Wouldn't recommend the gas canisters. Had to collect someone and bring them into work once as it was their first time using the canisters and they had multiple punctures on the same trip. That and the fact that you need to pump up your tyres again when you get home if you use a canister because its CO2 and it leaks out through the tyre membrane a lot quicker than air does so your tyres go flat quicker.
  • iain_j
    Adjustable spanner does the pedals (can't get enough leverage on my multi-tool allen key) and the locknuts on the hubs. Serves well as a hammer in times of frustration too :P
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    bails87 wrote:

So people ride fixies for the "simplicity" and have to carry more tools? :)
  • il_principe
    tiny_pens wrote:

Wouldn't recommend the gas canisters. Had to collect someone and bring them into work once as it was their first time using the canisters and they had multiple punctures on the same trip. That and the fact that you need to pump up your tyres again when you get home if you use a canister because its CO2 and it leaks out through the tyre membrane a lot quicker than air does so your tyres go flat quicker.

Well clearly you should carry a minipump as well! At least I do. Also pumping your tire up at home doesn't take long - I'd rather 10 seconds with the trackpump at home that 10 mins of trying to get a tyre up to pressure with a pump by the side of the road! Canisters will get a 700x23 up to 100psi or so in 3 seconds flat...
  • il_principe
    Aidy wrote:

Ah well the weight you save running fixed/ss means you can afford to lob a spanner in the bag!

But yeah, good shout. Rear tyre p*nctures are a pita.
  • wgwarburton
    Aidy wrote:

Nope- one gizmo with a tyre lever at one end & a 15mm ring spanner at the other.

I havn't weighed it, but I bet it's lighter & simpler than a multi-tool... :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • tiny_pens wrote:

That sounds like the someone's problem was more to do with not removing the offending sharp object from their tyre after they'd changed the inner tube.

Or they're hopelessly unlucky. In which case you should shun then. Unlucky people spread bad luck. Like a virus.

FACT!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Greg66 wrote:
    Or they're hopelessly unlucky. In which case you should shun then. Unlucky people spread bad luck. Like a virus.

FACT!

It was on Red Dwarf, it must be true.

... and are you saying we should shun ITB?
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Does noone else carry a marmalade sandwich - y'know in case of emergencies?
  • iain_j
    You should also carry a towel