Sorry - another £1000 MTB Recco Request

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
My Kona Cindercone has seen better days - it's 10 years old and get sneery looks from MTB mates. With only V brakes, it needs money spending on it too for servicing. It's had a hard winter on salty Highland roads commuting 400 miles on ice spikers.

Looking to get something through CtW (I will actually be cycling to work on it :lol: ).

I have a road bike that I use when the weather's good (ie the roads aren't covered with ice) but I want something for frozen days and for the local MTB trails.

My initial thought was to go for the £999 Boardman but I was wondering if there aren't any stonking deals out there. I bought my Focus Variado as a half-price ex-demo from Wiggle and the spec that it came with was much better than advertised (£375 for the £1000 Expert spec). They've nothing that matches this at the moment in hardtails. I don't mind going a shade over the £1000 if it gets me some extra value.

Any thoughts or just go Boardman?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    The boardman is great value, though Merlin and doing handjobs for around £1,200...spec not as good but an iconic frame !! and they look ****ing cool
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    I doubt you'll beat a Boardman for value for money. For a £1000 you will really struggle to beat it.

Will you be using it just for the commute or are you looking for something to use on a few local trails etc as well?
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    jmillen wrote:

Will you be using it just for the commute or are you looking for something to use on a few local trails etc as well?

Both - lots of MTB trails around me (North of Inverness) and might even try some enduro events but the serious miles will be on my 15-mile each way Highland backroad commute when the roads get snow & ice (running ice spikers)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • On Chain reaction there are some sale bikes going atm

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48032

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48031

But the boardman seems to be a good spec bike for the money, Ever considerd the second hand market then spend some money upgrading and servicing surely with a grand to spend you could pick up a very high spec bike i payed alot less for my rig and was barely used
    ♣♠♦♥ ژ a m e s w o o d s ♣♠♦♥

Occasionally riding when not studying

† Custom Build Dirt Jumping Bike
    † Orange Patriot
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Ah in that case, the Boardman HT Pro would be fine.

Was going to suggest maybe a Hybrid etc if its just commuting, but you'll be getting a very well spec'd, lightweight, and award winning bike for your budget that can handle the commute with ease and go onto some decent trails as well, go for it, you won't regret it...
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter