Two ambulances at Glentress

RichMTB
RichMTB Posts: 599
edited March 2010 in MTB general
I got to the bottom of Spooky Wood yesterday to find an ambulance with some poor bloke screaming his head off in the back of it.

I hope he was okay it sounded like he was in a lot of pain.

Then we got back to the hub and the was a second ambulance at the bottom.

I hope anyone that got hurt yesterday isn't too bad.

Safe riding folks.
Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey

Comments

• Well, screaming in pain is an excellent sign. It's when they're quiet that you've really got to worry.
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    Well, screaming in pain is an excellent sign. It's when they're quiet that you've really got to worry.

Or when they are screaming and then suddenly stop...
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    One of the most upsetting experiences of my life was at Learnie a few years back when we came across a guy who's come off fairly tamely on I think a blue or green section (we'd seen him make short work of some of the very tricky black stuff earlier) and dislocated his knee. He was screaming in agony and only really stopped as he became exhausted - the ambulance took ages to arrive as well, so we sat with him and did what we could. I swear I can still hear the screams...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Actually, this reminds me, at the very end of the demo day at Cannock Chase the other weekend, someone came running into the car park where the tents were set up shouting that he needed a medic for someone on the trails. I heard him say "....it's gone all wierd and grey...." before jumping into the paramedic-for-hire's jeep. Does anyone know what happened there?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i was at afan a few years back and saw three abulances on that day, we ride pretty risky stuff so accidents are bound to happen, but it still sucks when it does happen, so get well soon to all injured mtbers out there :)
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I live on the edge of Cannock Chase and quite often see the Air Ambulance fly over on the weekends.
    Craig Rogers
  • The air ambulance took a chap out of Stile Cop yesterday.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    x-isle wrote:
    I live on the edge of Cannock Chase and quite often see the Air Ambulance fly over on the weekends.
    3 times was it last year? Think it was for that lady who stacked in on the Chainslapper the last time I saw it.
    The air ambulance took a chap out of Stile Cop yesterday.
    It looked pretty churned up over there yesterday.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Much more than 3 times, but it might not be just for bikers I suppose.
    Craig Rogers
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Good point.
  • jonnyc2420
    jonnyc2420 Posts: 557
    I had my run paused at the start/time gate on a Cheddar Challenge race one year while the helicopter landed in a field below............ gave me lots of time to ponder my existence........... :shock:
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    jonnyc2420 wrote:
    I had my run paused at the start/time gate on a Cheddar Challenge race one year while the helicopter landed in a field below............ gave me lots of time to ponder my existence........... :shock:

Slightly unnerving, especially because you now know that if you do mess up, the helicopter is already taken by someone else :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Almightydutch
    Almightydutch Posts: 264
    edited March 2010
    bails87 wrote:
    Actually, this reminds me, at the very end of the demo day at Cannock Chase the other weekend, someone came running into the car park where the tents were set up shouting that he needed a medic for someone on the trails. I heard him say "....it's gone all wierd and grey...." before jumping into the paramedic-for-hire's jeep. Does anyone know what happened there?

We were also there....i heard the bloke had a heart attack somewhere on the trail.

As we're talking Helicopter rides...i had the pleasure of having one last year when at Oulton Park (on proper two wheeled transport though..engined ones)

I almost perforated my bowels, tore my kidney and did some permanent bladder damage(i piss like a fish now)
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    i saw one guy at the bottom of Barry knows best, on homebury hill, at the bottom of the old ending, by the road. he looked about 15, and was on the stretcher, about to go into the ambulance with the stuff holding his head and neck in place- i hope that was just a precaution, and he hadn't broken his neck. was pretty unerving, since it could of been me, as i had been going pretty fast, and almost fell off too. i was with my dad, and i was at the bottom, and he was at the top of the steep ending section, so seeing the flashing blue lights, and a guy on a stretcher, he didn't hesitate to get off and walk. i assume the guy oin the stretcher fell off on the end section, as it was steep, loose and heavily rutted- he probably went over the bars. they've completely remade the final section of barry's now, but i doubt it was just because of that guy falling off - people have been complaining about it for ages, and other people have fallen off too, and i think the locals had complained it was too near the houses.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I am the only one of my good mtb friends who has not been in an air ambulance.

A combination of luck and wearing a full face, shins and elbow protectors even when on a fire road.

Always useful to be trained in first aid just for when you do find someone on a trail in need of help! Just try to keep them breathing and the blood inside them, nothing pisses of trained medics that St Johns ambulance guys splinting up broken bones and wrapping wounds.
    They justhave to cut all that crap off wasting time and causing pain.

But keep them breathing and blood in is good.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?