A new start!!

Gary67
Gary67 Posts: 183
edited May 2010 in Road beginners
One of the reasons i have recently bought a road bike was because i was diagnosed with a brain tumour 2 days before xmas day 2008
After numourous neurosurgeons telling me it was too dangerous to operate because of the risk of disablement down one side of my body i thought it was only a matter of time till the buggering thing grew to large and there would be more problems and it would have the better of me.
I asked for another opinion and was sent to see a guy called Henry Marsh(google him,he is also on you tube) who on tuesday morning performed an awake craniotomy(google that!) on me!Yes they did wake me up in the middle of the op
I'm at home now with a massive scar on my head with 44 staples holding it together,with decades instead of years in front of me.Only downside at the moment is i have about 50% feeling in my right thumb which should come back over the coming weeks/months
Looking forward to getting on my bike soon and getting fit(i'll be able to go up the hills a bit quicker as i've just dropped 1/2 a stone LOL ).Looks like i've be kicked in the head by a shire horse though.I suppose for the time being i'll just have to polish and tinker with the bike :D
atb Gary

Comments

• bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Eek - that sounds painful!

Glad to hear that you're OK. Hopefully you'll be back on the bike before long. Keep us updated with how you're getting on.

PS - my Winter bike could do with a good clean if you've got some time on your hands!! :wink:
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    That's a terrific result, mate.
    Hope you recover quickly and are soon back on the bike.
    I'll leave my bike next to bobtbuilder... Gis a shout when it's cleaned :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Result!

All the best with it mate.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Excellent! What a result, puts all those 'I can't get up a hill cos I'm knackered' stories to shame.
  • oaky
    oaky Posts: 141
    Glad to hear you got through it all. Good work.

I can relate to how you feel. I was diagnosed with cancer last June. After a few months of chemotherapy and radiotherapy the first thing I bought was a road bike. Now I'm trying to decide whether to enter my first race next month.

Being faced with your own mortality isn't fun. But it does bring into focus all the stuff you want to do.

Good luck. Stay well.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Congratulations!

C'mon then, what's it like having somebody rummaging around in your brain while you're awake?? Is it worse than having your haemarrhoids cauterised at Dr Slowe's Rectal Clinic? (my only experience of awake surgery, which seemed to involve KY jelly, a track pump and a soldering iron)
  • speshy
    speshy Posts: 42
    Glad its all gone well, and hope you have a speedy recovery...
    i'm sure the thought of getting back on your bike will speed things along....
    =================================================
    2009 specialized allez elite
    kona caldera
  • awallace
    awallace Posts: 191
    Great stuff, i hope the recovery is quick and strong. I believe a positive attitude like yours counts for so much.
  • speshy
    Glad its all gone well, and hope you have a speedy recovery...
    i'm sure the thought of getting back on your bike will speed things along....
    kona caldera
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    good god man! glad to hear you're recovering now, wow .....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,390
    Great news mate. If you take on the cycling with the same fight you've shown with the tumour you'll be kicking butt in no time.

My own daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumour two years ago at the age of 4. Fortunately the majority was removed with an 11 hour op and she finished chemo about 6 months ago. She also has an impressive scar that she calls her zip up the nape of her neck and suffers some weakness on her one side but through lots of exercise this is improving.

Good luck for the future - I'm sure you don't need telling to enjoy your riding, it puts a new perspective on everything doesn't it?
  • stonehouse
    stonehouse Posts: 222
    I think I'll print out your email and pin it up next to my turbo trainer, the next time I'm not putting in enough effort I'll read it and remind myself how lucky I am.

Really hope that you make a full recovery and get out soon mate.
  • speshy
    stonehouse wrote:
    I think I'll print out your email and pin it up next to my turbo trainer, the next time I'm not putting in enough effort I'll read it and remind myself how lucky I am.

Really hope that you make a full recovery and get out soon mate.

great idea.... it should be enough to inspire anyone
    kona caldera
  • bikermaze
    bikermaze Posts: 23
    edited April 2010
    Congratulations on the results, I salute your resolve and interest in biking even with the odds. Miracles of the human body and sheer determination can truly make a difference. go get on your bike and have the ride of your life each time, mate. But not without a doctor's clearance and advice at hand. It never hurts to be on the safe size.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Best wishes for the fastest and most complete recovery possible. Let us know when you get out on that first ride!
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    +1 to what everyone else has said (apart from the bit about the haemorrhoids...)!
  • Ronnieg
    Ronnieg Posts: 26
    keef66 wrote:
    Congratulations!

(my only experience of awake surgery, which seemed to involve KY jelly, a track pump and a soldering iron)
    .....best you did stay awake .....with that lot in the corner of the room I'd have refused being put out!!

Gary... Great stuff. Enjoy your riding. There's loads to see out there on the top of a bike.
    I look at my bike and I think.....wow! you are gorgeous (Boardman Urban Pro.........)
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    That is brilliant. Hope the recovery is as comfortable as it can possibly be. The thought of getting back out on the bike will help you through.

You must feel so happy. Amazing! :D
  • Gary67
    1.Cheers for all the replys peeps :D
    2.Clean your own bikes you lazy s*ds :lol::lol:
    3.Oaky,you must do that race,go for it,have fun :D
    4.Rummaging around in your brains :lol: i could put your haemarrhoids cauterised at Dr Slowe's Rectal Clinic on par with having ones nads cauterised at the "were not having any more kids clinic"i remember the smell of burning flesh :shock:
    5.Pross,hope your little girl recovers to full health,i'm sure she will :D

Reading Lance Armstrongs books gave me a lot of inspiration,so if you haven't read any give them a go.Cheers again Gary
  • Fantastic, and very inspirational.

All the best for your future.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Gary67
    Went out on my bike the other day,done about 9 miles and i was knackered :D Good to be back in the saddle again.Missus was not impressed when i told her i was doing nearly 40mph down a big hill near me :roll: Should have kept my mouth shut :lol::lol:
    atb Gary
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    all the best Gary, hope you are OK, keep up the cycling :)
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Gary67 wrote:
    Went out on my bike the other day,done about 9 miles and i was knackered :D Good to be back in the saddle again.Missus was not impressed when i told her i was doing nearly 40mph down a big hill near me :roll: Should have kept my mouth shut :lol::lol:
    atb Gary

Ahhh bless... You'll learn :roll:

Keep at it, though :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    Gary67 wrote:
    i was doing nearly 40mph down a big hill near me :roll: Should have kept my mouth shut :lol::lol:
    atb Gary

Don't feel too bad - I don't think closing your mouth would have taken you over the 40mph barrier ;)

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Gary67
    Sorry I only just saw this thread. All the cr@p that kicked off in my life recently was the same day this thread was initially posted.
    I wish you all the best with your recovery and I hope you are enjoying getting out and about on your steed.

Take care

Paul
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Great news for you Gary i wish you a speedy recovery. I wouldnt worry about the scars and how you look now, all that will be ok in a few months The most important thing is that you can live a long and happy life when that might not have been possible back in 2008. Give yourself a pat on the back Gary, its mainly your persistace and determination to be cured that you got this far.The summer is coming up and i for one wish you many happy and enjoyable cycling miles. All the best mate
    Ademort :D
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Excellent news to all of you who have had to deal with the Big C, my thoughts and prayers (Although I am not a religious man) go out to you.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    edited May 2010
    Fantastic!!!!

My moto in life ios to live as long as possible, that way you can annoy more people! :wink:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,520
    Nice one Gary. You'll be back on the bike in no time. Getting a second or third opinion in these situations is always a good idea. My wife works at St Georges hospital where Mr Marsh is based, he's the best there is. The documentary of him in Russia, buying drills in the local market for his operations was brilliant.

I saw him when i was out shopping recently, wearing a tracksuit and looking a bit scruffy. He must be past retirement age and i said to the mrs, he's looking a bit doddery these days. With that he broke out into an impressive jog! Amazing man.

All the best Gary.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Gary67
    I saw him when i was out shopping recently, wearing a tracksuit and looking a bit scruffy. He must be past retirement age and i said to the mrs, he's looking a bit doddery these days. With that he broke out into an impressive jog! Amazing man.

All the best Gary.[/quote]

Cheers guys.Yes he looks the typical scruffy mad professor :lol: Had a good chat with him about bikes when he saw i was reading 23 days in july by John Wilcockson(about Armstrong's 6th tour win.Recommended read!)Henry Marsh rides to work most days on a Brompton folder,said its a bit heavy but he likes it.And as amazing, i second that!
    Gary