456 ti, slipping seatpost, anybody else having this problem?

donkeysled
donkeysled Posts: 25
edited March 2010 in MTB general
i love on one and i love the ride on this frame :D , but, i just cant get the ruddy seatpost to stay up!. just wondering if anyone else out there has this frame and maybe suffering? after many other things, including trying a coke can shim which on one themselves suggested, almost ruining the frame ( and quite frankly dont think i should be having to do on a £1300 hardtail frame) i have now gone for a top of the range ea90 carbon post, carbon paste and a hope qr seatclamp, it still slips!!!!!!!!! im 11 stone btw so its not down to my fat arse!

been riding now for 20 years or so , never had this problem on any of my bikes before, its at the point where i dont want to ride it anymore.

just would like to know if anyonelse is having the same problem with this frame?

sorry to go on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you had the seat tube size checked?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Try a non-QR seatpost collar. Hope aren't always regarded as the best anyway.

Carbon paste is a good idea, but I'd be tempted to use an alloy post so I could really crank the torque up on the seatpost collar
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    you could try just wrapping paper around the seatpost until it stays up, a bit of a bodge job, but won't damage the frame/seatpost
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    isnt the EA90 a Alloy post, EA being Easton Alloy
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • Contact on -one after spending £1000 i am sure they wont mind some aftersales help

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    I have a Hope QR on a Dmr and I have to do it up FT+1 to stop the post slipping so try a different one as suggested above
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Try a Ragley seat clamp (assuming you can get one in the right size), they seem to have a good track record for slipping posts.
  • Tolk
    Tolk Posts: 775
    bails87 wrote:
    Try a non-QR seatpost collar. Hope aren't always regarded as the best anyway.

Carbon paste is a good idea, but I'd be tempted to use an alloy post so I could really crank the torque up on the seatpost collar

My mate had the same problem on his Trek, carbon paste worked a treat and it hasn't slipped since (He's a big lad!)
  • cheers guys, its an EC90 post,( my mistake) i'll try a non qr clamp as suggested and torque it to the recommended settings and go from there

regards