Tora 302 U-Turns too much fork for Inbred?

rubins4
rubins4 Posts: 563
edited April 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi all...

I'm looking to buy an inbred frame any time now, but cant work out if my forks (RS Tora 302's) will be too long for a standard inbred. I know they are designed for 100mm up front, but i like to run my forks at th longer end of their travel. The problem is, the forks are 85 to 130mm travel adjustable, which puts them bang in between the Inbred and the 456 if i ran them just under full travel. After reading up on the 456 it seems like it be a bit too hardcore maybe, which is what I am trying to move out of (see my current bike in my sig link) and its also more expensive.

The more i read up, the less confident I am on making a decision I have had a look at the Merlin and handsome dog offering, I just really like the look of the On-One frames.. what do you guys think?
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Uturn sounds ideal to me. Set what feels best, experiment, change for different sort of rides.
  • rubins4
    oh, hang on... maybe i didnt expain properly... I have the forks already, and am looking to upgrade my frame, but I dont know whether the standard Inbred or the 456 would be most appropriate, given the price difference and, from what i gather, more hardcore characteristics of the 456.

I also need to have a sit on a couple of different frame sizes to see which is best, but On One only do mail order by all accounts. How have other got round this? (I have seen the 'Sizing Info' page on the On One website).

Thanks for your thoughts tho, supersonic. :wink:
  • supersonic
    Standard ;-)

WIll make use of the travel better given the angles. IMHO.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you expect to use it around 100mm, Inbred. But the Inbred has the same geometry as my Scandal did and though it was great up to about 110mm, by 130mm it wasn't very good. Warrantied for it, and strong enough, but it didn't handle.

If you want to use it around 130mm, the 456 will probably suit you better, with the option of dropping it for climbing but using 130mm as more of a default setting.

IMO of course
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rubins4
    Northwind wrote:
    IMO of course
    supersonic wrote:
    IMHO.

Opinion is exactly what I am after, so thank you. I can read factual stuff on their website.

I'm still very much undecided, so will hope for a few more replies in here, and carry on searching the forum. Thanks again.
  • i had almost the same issue although i hadnt bought the forks. Wasnt sure if i wanted the inbred with rebas or the 456 - i decided i may want to try some trail centres this summer and thought a longer forked hardtail may work better for this so i went for the 456 with a set of u-turn revs 110-140mm. i am leaving them at about 120mm for the more xc based stuff i do though for a more hardcore thrash go for the 140mm. My advice - if you want something that may offer you that bit extra going down go for the 456 - if you want a more classic xc set up go for the inbred. also think about what you may upgrade to fork wise in the future. hope that helps!
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    My tuppence; it deoends entirely on what you ride the most frequently.

XC - Lighter riding - Both wheels on the ground/small drops - Inbred: It's lighter, more XC orientated and will (probably) climb better.

Harder riding - Huge Drops - Jumps - 456 - Heavyer, stronger and in my opinion comes in a more awesome range of colours :wink:
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I'm running Tora 318 uturns on my inbred with a 100mm stem and have tried them at full 130mm travel, it does get a bit vague when climbing but is ok going down hill, best left at 100mm.

As for the sizing, they're all 'long' so if you don't like being cramped they're perfect. Even with my 36 inside leg and yeti arms I always have room to move.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Inbred without a doubt. It is fine at 130 with a very shot stem.
  • Northwind
    Inbred without a doubt. It is fine at 130 with a very shot stem.

See, that's exactly what I thought, until I rode a 130mm bike that actually did all the good stuff without any of the drawbacks. I got on absolutely fine with the Scandal til I rode the Soul and afterwards I couldn't ride it at 130mm without thinking "This is s**t, it's a barge"

YMMV of course ;) But the Soul just came along with all the advantages and none of the disadvantages and made the On One look a bit silly. And the 456 comes very close to doing the same. If I was building a 100mm bike tomorrow, I'd buy another Scandal though, it was fantastic for that and the Inbred's much the same.

(actually... TBH I'd say anyone considering an Inbred should always consider a Scandal too, lighter, more expensive, but very similiar. Forget about the "steel feel", the Scandal's got a lovely compliant ride too, it's more about design than material. Just, you can't stick fridge magnets to it)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Doesn't the Soul have even slacker angles though?
  • Northwind
    I think it's pretty much the same from memory, but the BB is lower and the top tube's shorter on the Soul, and the seatstays are shorter too. I reckon the Scandal/Inbred's better at 100mm than the Soul personally, probably for all the same reasons that the Soul's so much better at 130mm.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    From the OnOne site, with an 18inch frame 5 inch fork the Inbred should be:

HA - 69 degrees
    SA - 72 degrees
    TT - 23.7 inches
    Seatstays - 16.75
    BB height - 13 inches*

That is a guess lol, it is 12.5 at 4 inch fork.
  • Northwind
    Guess it depends whether they're quoting sagged or static too. Brant usually likes sagged though.

This is the Soul in medium, 5 inch fork sagged 40mm

Medium
    TT23.25"
    Head Angle 69°
    Seat Angle 72°
    BB Height 12.25"

If it wasn't raining I'd be tempted to go and measure my seatstays. But that'd be a bit mad.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Northwind wrote:
    But that'd be a bit mad.

why?? go and do it and figure out what dia' the tubing is 16 or 19mm and get back to those curious. :lol:
  • rubins4
    :lol:

Thanks for all the info guys.

I'll have a further look into the scandal/soul...but i might have to make a decision fast, else go bikeless! :shock:

.....fook me...the soul is nearly 500 quid!! bit out of my price range, sadly. I'll investigate the scandel tho! :lol:
  • Northwind
    Soul is really very expensive. I mean, I love it but it's hard to justify. I bet I'd be, oh, 9/10ths as happy on a 456. So I don't go evangelical on it, it just showed up the weakness of the inbred geometry to me really badly which is why I mentioned it ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rubins4
    I appreciate the input. I guess thats one reason why One One are so popular as they can knock out frames at such low prices. The Malts do look nice too tho.
  • Northwind
    They wouldn't have their popularity if the frames weren't good tbh, the 456's a great allrounder and the Scandal's a superb XC bike. Not so sold on the inbred myself mind. But yeah, good bikes at silly prices.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

18" 456 with revolutions... may help with a view of a built one!
  • rubins4
    Good idea! why did I not think of that sooner... :lol:

This chap has sealed the deal I think. Def a 456

Looks like a very similar problem a mate of mine had last summer. Scott Aspect or Scale? In the end, the Scale was just a little too focused on more serious XC/race work, where as the aspect had a slightly more relaxed character. The 456 looks perfect. I think a set of Halo Freedom rims would work quite well with it. Unless anyone has a better suggestion? I've had Halo Combats in 24's for a little while and they are excellent. (If a bit heavy and slow for me now).
  • supersonic
    The 456 though has a steeper head angle for a given length fork than the standard inbred!
  • rubins4
    :(

I was under the impression that the 456 is a more relaxed frame with a bit more 'chuckability'. The pictures in the link would seem to suggest this. Maybe the rest of the geo makes up for a steeper head angle??

Either way, I dont really know what the hell to do. :cry:
  • supersonic
    It is strengthened to take a longer travel fork - so at 150mm it will be slightly slacker than the Inbred at 125mm.
  • damok
    damok Posts: 6
    Get a 456 summer season. I've a tora 318 on mine and its perfect. I run it at 130 for general riding and stick it down to 110 - 115 of xc racing.
  • rubins4
    Thanks for all the help guys.

I went for a 456 in 20inch (blue with creme decals 8) ) also treated myself to a set of EN321's, on XT hubs hand crafted from merlin. some SLX shifters, second hand Truv Isoflow crankset from Noclue (thanks for holding onto them for a week or so. :wink: ), and i need to get a BB and some tyres, probably conti mountain kings or similar.

I'll update my post in the forumites bike section as and when.

Thanks again y'all. :wink: