What to upgrade first?

Allan@ur
Allan@ur Posts: 32
edited March 2010 in MTB general
I recently bough a Giant Terrago as my first bike. Reading through the forum has given me the urge to modify to suit the mostly xc and trail riding i plan on in the near future. So i am looking to see what experienced guys would change first

This is its standard spec

Braking
Brake Calipers Giant Root hydraulic disc, 160mm rotors
Brake Levers Giant Root

Drive
Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-UN26
Cassette (Rear Cogs) SRAM PG950 11-34
Chain Shimano HG73
Crank Shimano FC-M443 22/32/44
Pedals Steel with resin body

Gearing
Derailleur Front Shimano Deore
Derailleur Rear Shimano Deore
Gears 27
Shifter(s) Shimano Deore 27 speed RapidFire Plus

General
Handlebar Giant A3 aluminium riser
Saddle Giant
Seat Post Giant A3 aluminium
Stem Giant A3 aluminium

Suspension
Fork Travel 100 mm
Forks Suntour XCM 100mm travel, lock out

Wheels
Hubs Formula
Rims Alex CR18 26"
Spokes Black stainless steel
Tyres (Front & Back) Kenda 26x1.95''
Wheel Size 26"

What would be the first thing to go to make the bike better to cope with harsh xc riding?

Comments

• Forks 1st. then wheels. then everything else if when it needs replacing/breaks..
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    depends on how much you want to spend and what breaks first

... but I'd change the pedals

before looking at something as expensive as fork and wheels (but Benj is right, that is where the quality normally lacks in a budget bike) I'd do some maths and work out if it's really worth changing such items or whether you'd get better value selling the bike on and getting something new higher up the range.

deore kit is very good and unlikely to let you down, it's a bit heavy is all but tbh you're not going to impact the weight of teh bike you have there by changing that out so leave it.

if you can find a deal, the Deore HT2 crankis a belter, much stiffer and better quality than what you have fitted and can be had for 50 quid if you look around. you will need to have your frame faced for an HT2 crank and there are special tools needed to fit them so join a bike club, make some mates and one of them will be able to lend you what you need I'm sure

in the end though; enjoy your new bike! don't worry too much about upgrades, ride it like you nicked it and the upgrades will present themselves ... as you break stuff
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    If you don't have any problems with the drivetrain, i'd say forks first (will make a massive difference) for something like Tora's, and then wheels/tyres.
  • Allan@ur
    Which forks would be an idea step up? I can keep an eye on ebay for a cheaper second hand set.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    edited March 2010
    Allan@ur wrote:
    Which forks would be an idea step up? I can keep an eye on ebay for a cheaper second hand set.
    rock shox tora. you can get them at good prices on ebay.
  • Allan@ur
    Forgot to add i have ordered some DMR V8's pedals
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    What's your budget for upgrades?
  • Allan@ur
    Dont really have a budget limit. Dont want to throw money at the bike though if the frame is not worth the upgrading?
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    DMR V8's are excellent pedals, good choice.
    I'd also look at the forks as the next upgrade but then again I know quite a few riders who are happy with the Suntour forks.

There was a good Thread started about a week back titled I can't believe the difference where Members have commented on what upgrade/s made a noticeable difference to their riding

Take a browse through that Thread as it's quite interesting
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Absolutely the forks. And tyres.