Cam mounting - show us yours.

nitesight
nitesight Posts: 119
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I know a lot of people are filming their commutes now to record scalps or evidence of poor driving etc.

Following a bonnet bounce when someone pulled out I considered doing the same but to be fair my commutes are usually uneventful.

What I am interested in is what cameras are being used and how people are mounting them.

I just bought one of those cheap keyfob spycams off flea bay and apart from not being able to change the date on my mac it seems to work well. I just can't think of anything more imaginative than Duct Tape to mount it and I can't be bothered doing that every morning.

So boys and girls. Fancy posting your pics of what you use, how you mount it and what you think?

Comments

• Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I use a ContourHD 1080p and I use the vented helmet mount designed for it.

Not the cheapest solution but I'm extremely happy with it. Brilliant in daylight and not too shabby in the dark either.

My main reason is evidence. I got knocked off before Christmas and I've had to let the bloke get away scott free due to lack of evidence so I've vowed to do everything I can not to be in the same position in future.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    nitesight wrote:
    I just bought one of those cheap keyfob spycams off flea bay and apart from not being able to change the date on my mac it seems to work well.

is it one of the 808s? I bought one the other day... sure it's not possible on a mac? After all it's just a case of dropping a file into the root.

Quality is decent for a £10 camera.

Mounting is just a bit of velcro
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • nitesight
    Yeah it's an 808. Sneaky little thing aint it! I felt like a perv buying one as I'm sure there are some that would misuse it. As I was buying to hack it into some sort of NITESIGHT BIKECAM1.0 frankenstein gadget my karma is clear. Having said that Velcro isn't a bad idea at all.

I have tried to change the date but when I connect via USB my Mac doesn't mount the camera. I'm having to take the AVI files from the memory card. I don't want to divert the thread but advice on this would be handy. I have two problems. My Mac (snow leopard) will only create RTF documents in text edit and not txt. and then as I said above I don't know where to put the damn thing if I was able to create it! :x

Oh and mine was £8 delivered from HK in a week. Cheap huh!

Cool stuff Gaz.
  • Oddjob62
    nitesight wrote:
    I'm having to take the AVI files from the memory card. I don't want to divert the thread but advice on this would be handy. I have two problems. My Mac (snow leopard) will only create RTF documents in text edit and not txt. and then as I said above I don't know where to put the damn thing if I was able to create it! :x

How to create a txt doc
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=164134
    Don't have a mac so can't test it.

Create a file called tag.txt with this as the content (editted accordingly)
    [date]
    2010/02/24
    12:00:00

You need to put this file in the root on the memory card. This is probably the first thing you see when you mount and open the memory card (it's the dir that contains the DCIM subdirectory, NOT in the DCIM subdirectory). The file will be read when you next turn on the camera with the memory card inserted (it will delete the file when it reads it)

Hope that helps.

Yeah i felt like a perv trying to work out how to mount it onto my shoe pointing upwards... tricky one that :oops:
    :P
  • nitesight
    Oddjob! You Rock.

Job done, time and date albeit amercanized are now working fine. It's simples when someone knows what they are doing and takes the time to help.

My cap doffeth sir!
  • Oddjob62
    nitesight wrote:
    Oddjob! You Rock.

Job done, time and date albeit amercanized are now working fine. It's simples when someone knows what they are doing and takes the time to help.

My cap doffeth sir!

:D
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    nitesight wrote:
    What I am interested in is what cameras are being used and how people are mounting them.

I use a Veho Muvi, mounted on my headtube, like this:

cam-mount.png

I tried helmet mounting, but the resulting video was very jerky when sped up (as I like to do when YouTubing longer extracts). I also had a similar problem with handlebar mounting (lots of small adjustments for steering).

Advantage: steadier image than helmet or handlebar mounting
    Disadvantage: no record of looking around, or the person I'm speaking to if I should want to use footage following an incident.

Ideally, I suppose I'd have two; one on the headtube for smooth footage, and another helmet cam for recording observation and subjects.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    Ive got one of those...... I just thread the side of it through the side stem of my cycling glasses........perfect views easy! will post photos although my first attempt is here on Jameys's thread (opti-grab steve martin stylie)

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12685986
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I use a GoPro. Pricey but quality footage.

13-03-2010_02.jpg

13-03-2010_05.jpg

Specimen footage whilst on my MTB here (actual footage is far better than this it's just compressed for online viewing):

Oily Water
    FCN = 4
  • Veho Muvi slotted into a central vent of my Met Testagrossa... A slight discomfort, but seems to get the best shots for me.

I've tried on the handlebars (too wobbly); left arm (easily ends up pointing in odd angles); chest strap (probably not too bad if I had not strapped it upside down! :lol: )
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    17122009100.jpg
    Image056.jpg
    Image057.jpg

the camera is in the central vent.
    the dvr unit sits in my pocket and has a screen on it so i can check angles etc.
    i have a veho muvee on the bars, but i find the framerate too slow when i go through woods and trees, too much processing for the little thing.

make sure you have time stamps on your cameras if you wish to use them as evidence!
    also, i have heard about counter claims as you may need recording permits and stuff in public parks etc.
  • nitesight
    Bob,

Do the antlers balance out the weight to give smoother shots? :D
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    haha, thats my winter guise! :oops:
    it also aids braking and cornering! :lol: