Which insect repellent?

Miggins
Miggins Posts: 433
edited March 2010 in MTB general
For those of you who have ridden in Scotland in the warmer months, you'll know the hell that can be brought by the Scottish midges. I moved to Scotland about 5 years ago but this coming summer will be the first with a mountain bike and I intend to take full advantage of the trails up here but I want to avoid the biting critters.

Someone told me that Skin So Soft by Avon works well (not exactly macho, I know :oops: ) and it's relatively cheap. Has anyone used it? Are there any other recommendations? I'd like to get prepared!
After uphill there's downhill

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    That skin so soft Avon stuff works really well. I will be stocking up on it if I go to the WC this year
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    the skin so soft, isn't a repellent but it does leave a layer on your skin that prevents them from biting. and apparently works very well, providing you don't mind smelling like the perfume department of a large department store. also while the skin so soft will stop the midges from biting, there are larger biting insects (ticks, kleggs) that might be able to bite straight through a layer of avons finest.

personally i prefer to smell like an explosion in chemical factory and consequently i prefer to use boots repel insect repellent spray tropical strength (50% Deet). keeps all the little bastards away including the stinging kind.
    Fancy a brew?
  • I soak myself in tiger piss, pretty dangerous holding a cup under a squatting tiger but worth it to be honest, nothing will come near you insect or other.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    i rode ben nevis a few years back and boy those midges are mean.
    when i got back i counted 168 bites record still stands.
    but now i just use the spray or cream from the pound shops and they just keep away i do smell like a hairdressers handbag :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Skin so soft... There's some evil DEET sprays that are just about as effective but they're expensive and evilly toxic.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hi,
    When I get bitten by the dreaded little buggers I swell up like a balloon. Once at a pub next to river near Christchurc, I got forty on my legs.
    So for the last two years anual hols to Spain I took vitamin B supplements before going, then showered with lemon shower gel every evening and used jungle formula spray with the highest available percentage of deet before going out.
    So far this ritual has returned zero bites even last year when we were near a canal.
    Don't know the science behind any of what I do but can only go on results I've had.

If someone says it'l work I'll try it.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    I did a 4 day expedition in scotland last summer. First two days i used the avon stuff and got completely destoryed by the wildlife... apparently it's only one falvour that works (not the one i had by the looks of things...)

Swapped to jungle formula for the next two days which worked a treat, however:
    1)I had to reaply it about every hour, if you sweat it just runs off you.
    2)It does contain something similar to an insect hormone, which means it will attract plenty of other little flying beasties, they won't bite or sting/but you will end up with a cloud of them around you if you stop.

We were walking, which does probably make the problems worse, riding quickly will probably reduce the number of times youre munched (midges don't like it windy IIRC.)
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    I got some 30% Deet gell stuff last year, cant remember what it was called though (It was in a green box if that helps). Any chemist will have stock of it or a similar product though. The 30% Deet stuff worked well for me, nothing worse than being midged, especially 2 days later when your arms and legs look like a leppar!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    +1 for skin so soft however you have to pile it on for it to work it has always worked for me in England Wales and Ireland

In the wilds of West Scotland it doesnt work so well those little biting bastards are hard and can probably bite through sheet steel
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Mosquitos and midges are more likely to bite young, sexually active people as they are attracted by pheromones.

I never have a problem with them.
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Marmite. Eat it for a couple of days about 2 weeks before you want to go somewhere with midges and theyll totally leave you alone

Of course, it does only really work if you like marmite 8)
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Thread8 wrote:
    Marmite. Eat it for a couple of days about 2 weeks before you want to go somewhere with midges and theyll totally leave you alone

Of course, it does only really work if you like marmite 8)

I would prefer the midge bites thanks
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/s/cycle/7/?Wd=insect

i have the lifesystems expedition insect repellent max strength. used it a few times but that was long time ago so the bottle is almost full. apart from that maybe musty granny perfume :lol: anyways id suggest lifesystems stuff
  • lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    Exactly which skin so soft product is it that you use to repel the little buggers? There are hundreds of products :?
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    lovewales wrote:
    Exactly which skin so soft product is it that you use to repel the little buggers? There are hundreds of products :?

Avon
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    What he means is which of the skin so soft range. I've no idea, I just buy it from the green welly if I'm going north or from tiso if I'm not. Comes in a green bottle.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    Northwind wrote:
    What she means is which of the skin so soft range. I've no idea, I just buy it from the green welly if I'm going north or from tiso if I'm not. Comes in a green bottle.

Cheers for that ^^ :lol: Is it one of the oils, creams or shower stuff?
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • its the oil spray.

skin so soft served me well in fort bill last summer for the WC, i try to avoid using deet, it stings too much when it gets in my eyes and i like to avoid my lips feeling like ive just had work done at the dentist.

i found a thing in sainsburys last summer, it was a microfibre cloth, 1m x1m, coated in repellant, but its dry and odourless, you tie it round your shoulders or from your bag and it creates a no-fly zone to keep the insects away from you, and it actually worked, i was sceptical cos it was in the reduced section but it genuinely worked, but then i got hideously drunk and lost it and ive never seen a similar product anywhere since then.

best trick is to fill your camelbak with buckfast when on a ride, and pedal like fuck, and rehydrate regularly, the midges wont catch you if your going fast enough and when you do stop you'll be buckied oot yer heid so you wont care about the midges. boosh!!
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • Sodfoster
    Sodfoster Posts: 412
    Im an Ecologist and work all over Scotland on a daily basis. I have also worked in the Amazon and Thai Jungles and I would recommend skin so soft everytime!! It beats deet products hands down and is good for your skin (which deet products aint!). Its also used by the British army!

If you really want something hardcore you could use lifesystems 100% but that stuff is not good for your skin.
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........
  • Miggins
    edited March 2010
    Skin So Soft oil spray, then. Thanks all. I've used Deet before and it is effective but last time I used it, it took some print off the back of my camera where my nose had pressed against it, so I'd rather avoid it if I can - it's obviously a bit hardcore. As for the tiger wee, well thanks, Radioactiveman; would a Scottish Wildcat suffice?
  • Miggins
    edited April 2010
    And here's the proof; check out the comments.......

http://avonshop.co.uk/shop/product.asp? ... &pagenum=1
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Is this the stuff?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avon-Skin-Spray ... B001GUAWO2

edit: did spot the second page, question answered already, stuff ordered!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?