goggle fog

covelove
covelove Posts: 209
edited March 2010 in MTB general
just bought a pair of oakley mx goggles and am finding they fog up quite badly, is this because my head is hotter than the goggles?
is there any way of preventing fogging?
does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    They do fog quite easy (that was my excuser to get Crowbars :wink: )

The best way to prevent it is take them off when you stop but on really cold, wet days there isn't really anything you can do. Was out last night in the foggy freezing cold and my crowbars wouldn't stop fogging up :( although I think it might actually have been water freezing up (got sweaty and then it condensed onto the goggles in a slow speed section)
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    The old motorbike trick to stop your visor fogging up is to put a small spot of neat fairy liquid on a soft cloth and then polish it on to the visor. You dont want too much or it will smear you just want a film on the surface.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • don't bother with the muc off stuff, do as stubs says and get some fairly liquid on there. i've been doing it right through the winter. works a treat.
  • An old Scuba trick was to rub toothpaste onto the glass, rub it around for 5 minutes and then thoroughly wash. Just need to do it once. Always worked for me.
    "it rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again"
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    An old Scuba trick was to rub toothpaste onto the glass, rub it around for 5 minutes and then thoroughly wash. Just need to do it once. Always worked for me.

Dont do this to plastic lenses. Toothpaste is a mild abrasive it might work on glass but it will wreck your plastic goggles
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    An old Scuba trick was to rub toothpaste onto the glass, rub it around for 5 minutes and then thoroughly wash. Just need to do it once. Always worked for me.

Dont do this to plastic lenses. Toothpaste is a mild abrasive it might work on glass but it will wreck your plastic goggles

Yes, of course - didn't realise we were talking about plastic lenses. My bad.
    "it rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again"
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nixwax Visorproof should do the job, bit more expensive than washing up liquid but much better.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I always used the washing up liquid trick on both mx-style goggles, and on my ice hockey visor (notgorious for fogging), and it's brilliant. Can't fault it.
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...