Bike on a budget

free
free Posts: 567
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Guys,

I have around £1500 to spend on a Downhill rig. I just intend initially to get some practice in on some UK runs and then enter a few local club events.

I'm open to ideas on bikes as my knowledge on DH rigs is limited. Any help apprecaited.

Cheers,

Simon
Think first.
Then act.
That\'s it.
My 3 point plan.
A.partridge. 1997.

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Hi Simon, are you a competent rider already ? as going straight into DH may be a bit crazy...anyway a secondhand Giant Glory is a great bike and should be within budget...I would though recommend you start with a decent freeride rig...Pauls are knocking out 2009 Kona Stinkys for £1,299...or a 2008 Mongoose Kyber Super for £1,200 for you could pick up a new 2010 Scott Voltage 30 for your £1,500 notes..DH bikes do look nice and are great going down...unless your on an uplift day though you will be pushing your friend back up..Most FR bikes are capable of near all DH circuits..and the good thing is you can generally peddle them up hill...so unless you intend to do just DH...a FR rig would be better
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • free
    free Posts: 567
    Great advice Pudseyp! Many thanks.

I perhaps should have given a little background info. I've been mountainbiking in some form or another for many years and although I may have left it a bit late at 27 years old I have decided to give Downhill a blast. I do a lot fo trail riding but I much prefer the high speed stuff. Plus I have also been racing motocross since I was 4 years old so certainly know how to throw a heavy bike around although I realise that doesn't immediately qualify me as some sort of master downhiller..far from it.

But the info you have provide has helped loads already.

There are just so many bikes and so mnay online stores that trying to find a good deal on the right bike is a big headache...sometimes too much choice can be a bad thing! lol.

I've looked at at least 15 online bike stores now, comparing deals on various bikes but I'm just lost on what to look for.

I think you are right that a Freeride bike is the way to go. I want a bike that will handle the rough stuff and the jumps/drop offs on the downhill course as well as the rough fast stuff at my local downhill trails.

I've been using a Kona Colier for the rougher trails but it doesn't inspire me with confidence to hit things hard or tackle the big stuff so I won't even try it.

Thanks again!
    I
    Think first.
    Then act.
    That\'s it.
    My 3 point plan.
    A.partridge. 1997.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Well the Scott maybe a good bet, If you read MBUK Jammer (one of the ed's) has one as a test bike..I think its this months eddition there is a one page article as he took it to the Forrest of Dean....and the result was lots of smiles for the money ! One point..be a bit weary of the early Norco's
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The voltage is a cracking little bike. The norco stryke is a nice bike too.

My local lbs (where I seem to spend far too much time just hanging out) has one going cheap, if you're interested pm me.