Carbon Riser Bars

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

I'm thinking of buying some carbon riser bars to replace my old alloy Race Face riser bars.

2 questions:
1: Are carbon bars more prone to breaking than normal alloy ones?
2: Are carbon bars worth getting to save me a bit of weight or will it largely go unnoticed?

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• Had Easton Monkeylite carbons for 3yrs on my Whyte 46 and crashed it plenty and the bars survived fine.

I swapped them onto my Cotic Soul for the alloy Easton bars and not sure if it is in my head but they don't seem as harsh as the alloy one that they replaced.

They do save weight ,they look smart and I personally feel they make my hands ache less. just personal opinion not based on science in any way.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • mikeyj28
    Had Easton Monkeylite carbons for 3yrs on my Whyte 46 and crashed it plenty and the bars survived fine.

I swapped them onto my Cotic Soul for the alloy Easton bars and not sure if it is in my head but they don't seem as harsh as the alloy one that they replaced.

They do save weight ,they look smart and I personally feel they make my hands ache less. just personal opinion not based on science in any way.

Thanks Radioactiveman. What length do you find works best for you? I will be running mine on a race HT.

Thanks
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    will be lighter, although I'd say not noticeable on its own (but as part of a larger weight weenie exercise ... that's a different story)

Longevity seems not to be an issue. I have carbon bars on the SS and the Evil. The evil gets quite badly abused and crashed. bars never been an issue

on a rigid bike, they make a noticeable difference to the ride quality, soaking up small vibrations, but good sus forks do this already so probably not noticeable on an HT

still, unless you find a deal, it's an expensive upgrade and given the choice of a 100 GBP on some handlebars or a lighter rear wheel, I'd take the wheel every time.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • mikeyj28
    will be lighter, although I'd say not noticeable on its own (but as part of a larger weight weenie exercise ... that's a different story)

still, unless you find a deal, it's an expensive upgrade and given the choice of a 100 GBP on some handlebars or a lighter rear wheel, I'd take the wheel every time.

HHmmmm food for thought. I can get the handlebars for £60 and they seem pretty decent. The lighter rear wheel is an option but i am kinda happy for the time being with the 717s & XT hub that i currently have.
    I do have a bit of a weight weenie obsession-don't ask me why though!
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Another thing to bear in mind.Not all carbon bars are necessarily that much lighter than some top end alumium ones.

I have a pair of Raceface Deus riser bars which at 210g,aren`t much heavier than some cheaper carbon bars.

To get a notable weight saving you probably need to be looking at a brand like Easton and Raceface,but than as said before you looking at £100 or more.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Check out Jenson USA for cheap Easton bars btw, I got stung for duty but they're still bargainous.

Good carbon and alloy bars are plenty strong, bad carbon and alloy bars are too weak...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Aye +1 for Jenson USA - I got easton monkeylite carbon bars for £45 from there.

After these bars for a while, I've come to the conclusion that they are no different to normal bars - not really noticed any difference in terms of comfort and the difference in weight is neglible - glad I didn't pay full whack for them anyway. If I had, maybe the 'cashbebo effect' would convince me that they made a huge difference :lol: