What do you do with your bike gear while at work?

mrmuddybum
mrmuddybum Posts: 20
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Only been riding to work a couple of weeks, and already someone has complained that I leave my base layer in the gents toilets to dry, if its been a particularly tough ride in.

What do you lot do with your damp layers when you get to work?

Comments

• hang them on a coat stand or over a rad in the office - if they dont like it tough tits :)

i also cleared out a cupboard next to my desk, have put a clothes rail in it for my shirts etc :D
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I hang mine in the toilet like yourself...only me and my boss use that toilet though...shoes used to live under my desk but since they've developed a bit of a damp smell (too many wet rides with no time to dry) I leave them in a cupboard under the stairs that gets full of general office crap that nobody can be bothered to find a proper home for.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Pretty lucky really we have a locker room,showers and drying room. So I have somewhere
    to get changed and showered before work and I can dry my gear off before the ride home if required. We also have a secure bike shed i.e blockwork built,steel cage doors and decent lock.

I remember reading that there were to be some changes to the requirements for employers offering cycling scheme. i.e providing appropriate facilities for cyclists. Not sure if this was a wish list or to be a full requirement ?

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    Mine go in my office along with my bike :D

It helps that my office is in the corner of a warehouse! :wink:
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    My riding stuff get rolled up and stuffed in my rucksack. I carry a clean base layer for the return journey though, so don't have the same problem. Shoes live under my desk, no-one's complained yet.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I just laid my tops etc on the back of my chair or hung them on the coat hanger to dry when I used to commute.

If anyone complains rub their face in your sweat filled tops.

Then D lock em.
  • ahahahahahhahahahahaha
  • Put all my bits in the compressor room to dry off! Very good for wet clothes!

People still moan about it and that my bike is in the workshop! But it will stay there until someone with authority tells me to move it! Haha! :lol:
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Bike is stored in a steel mesh cage down in the basement and general bike gear is brought up and stored in the shower room.

I must admit, I probably ride in at all if I didn't have a shower room & storage space etc. It would just all add to the hassle.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    First of all I would ask whoever it is who is complaining what their exact problem is with leaving your gear in the bogs :x

Don't see why this should be a problem.

If it smells, leaves a mess or is getting in the way then fair enough, but really, is it such a problem it being there?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    RobGT wrote:
    First of all I would ask whoever it is who is complaining what their exact problem is with leaving your gear in the bogs :x

Don't see why this should be a problem.

If it smells, leaves a mess or is getting in the way then fair enough, but really, is it such a problem it being there?
    If it smells, who cares? I'm sure there are worse smells in there
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • mrmuddybum
    mrmuddybum Posts: 20
    edited March 2010
    I dont really wanna know who complained, as I dont want to bear a grudge :)

Apparently whoever it was, did complain of the smell, but to be honest when I went in there I couldn't smell anything.

My manager has asked if i would mind hanging it outside to dry - but not sure how I'm supposed to do that. Its not like we have a washing line outside the office.

What gets my goat the most is that a few other chaps ride into work, and they stick all their clothes on the radiator in their office, and nobody says a dicky-bird. I thought I was doing people a favour by putting them in the loos - after all there are worse smells in there most of the time, and they are only in there for about an hour anyway.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    if your colleagues are spending an hour in the toilets report them to the stasi, sorry HR for slacking off.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    We've got a half-empty cabinet for our hanging files so I just took over the bottom half. My helmet, gloves etc and any dry clothes go in my drawer under my desk, along with my lunch.

Every so often the data security team do spot checks to make sure we're not leaving important data unlocked in our drawers, they say "Is your drawer locked", I say "No, I never lock it, can't see the point." They say "But it's essential that you lock it, the contents of that drawer could be of great interest to out competitors" so I open it and it's full of bananas, chocolate, and a pair of shorts :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    we have a 'spare' toilet here. it's in the far warehouse that not many people use so my kit goes in there to dry off. i don't hang my smelly lycra shorts there though, that'd just be rude! :lol:
  • Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    All me clothes go in my locker at college, unless they are wet, in which case my tutor lets me shove em on the store cupboard to dry as theres a good heater in there.

Bike stays in the locked shed, if you want to use it at my college then you have to put down a £5 deposit for a key and be able to prove that you actually use it
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    I hang mine on any of the racks of equipment in our office (which is a workshop) under a large fan/air blower thingy. Dries everything off quite nicely.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • We have a large locker / shower room and plenty of people I work with bike to work some even run in, can you imagine the smell when we're all on shift at same time. there are often clothes drying out all over the place even out on shop floor if it's rained a lot. No one moans and if they did I'd ignore them.
  • cpk1
    cpk1 Posts: 175
    Iv been riding to work for the past two years, i hang my wet layers on the back of my office door, and when they are really wet end up with a puddle on the floor luckily its a concrete floor and not a carpet one :D
    Trail bike: Kona Coiler 06, Rockshox domain 318is, juicy 7s, sun rims s-type.
    Commute bike: Dawes Watoga.
  • we have a shower and locker room, but theres that many of us cycle it can become a bit overcrowded and a bit cut-throat when it comes to finding hanging space for the wet layers, not uncommon to get a caring female to hang your gear up in their locker room on a rainy day
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    mrmuddybum wrote:
    Only been riding to work a couple of weeks, and already someone has complained that I leave my base layer in the gents toilets to dry.
    Someone complained about an item of cloathing hanging up in a toilet?! Jeez! Some people have got nothing better to do than moan about absolutely anything! :x

I leave all my riding gear in the gents toilet at work. Doesn't seem to be a problem. I can't imagine why anyone would complaining about it.