quick tyre question

counterculture
counterculture Posts: 507
edited March 2010 in MTB general
whats the difference between "wire" tyres and "folding" tyres? ive had this explained to me before but i must have killed the brain cells that were tasked with retaining this info.

advnaced thanks

andy
i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    kevlar are folding beads. and lighter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    And more expensive, on average.
  • whats the difference except weight and price?
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    They fold if needed.
  • fo' sho.

awesome folks, cheers!!
  • wesd
    wesd Posts: 6
    I'm using trailrakers with a wired tyre on one wheel and a folding tyre on the other (identical rims). I can take the folding tyre off the rim and replace it by hand in under a minute since it can be stretched a bit but the wired tyre always needs tyre levers so punctures are a pain.

Other than price, that's the only difference I've noticed.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Often the wired ones are made of a lower quality as well.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I'v got some folding Minions and find them a pain to fit as they are so loose them keep falling off the rim. Smashing tyres mind
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    Kenan- this may be because you are running them at very low pressures, so they don't 'seat' properly or that you are running thin tyres on wide rims, or a combination of the two
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Sorry, should of been clear.I find they keep faling of when trying to fit. You put one side on and while working on the other it falls off. With the wire bead I don't have this problem.
  • wavey1490
    wavey1490 Posts: 39
    make sure you have a tube semi inflated to put in one side as you fit. This will help the tyre to keep its shape while you fit

hope this helps
    Anorexic Racing Snake ;)