Foggy night time riding....

Ho hum
Ho hum Posts: 236
edited March 2010 in MTB general
In the last couple of months I have embraced night time winter riding and I have really enjoyed it.

It's been foggy here today and the fog became even thicker tonight, but I was determined to go out for a ride.

Thick fog adds another dimension to night riding. You can't put your lights on full because you just end up looking at a wall of white fog, so you have to go on "dipped" beams and even then it is still quite difficult to see.

Still very good fun though!

Anyone else done it?

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The only night riding I have done was with the Trailfaries before the Christmas party last year.

I didn't have any lights so one of the others gave me their spare (great bunch of guys). Of corse it was just a litle head torch with a beam a few inches wide but it got me hookes (still not got any lights though :roll: :cry: )

Anyway.....On the last track (good game) the fog came down and I couldn't see a thing. Can normally do it really easily but was strugling with the little drops :lol: because I couldn't see.

Was great fun though and the night at the party was great
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Yeap, every Thursday night, regardless of weather a group of us go out.

Last week it was extremely foggy, tonight was extremely wet and muddy.

Great fun ! Very different from riding in the day, I find it hightens the senses a bit, makes you pay alot more attention to whats going on around you.

If you got the lights for it, I can't recommend it enough
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    We get a lot of fog in the forest with the valley shape, end up balancing having the light on the helmet so you can see around the corners and on the bike so you can see in front of you!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Be careful if it's really thick fog, as moisture may be inhaled in the very damp air.
    This is the ideal environment for nasty bacterias to form causing infections in the respiratory tract, eg Lungs, Throat etc.

But, riding in lightish fog is weird, as familiar things become distorted and wonderful!!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Splottboy wrote:
    Be careful if it's really thick fog, as moisture may be inhaled in the very damp air.
    This is the ideal environment for nasty bacterias to form causing infections in the respiratory tract, eg Lungs, Throat etc.

Best we hide in our germ free houses then.
  • Splottboy
    Yeah, you could! When they had the Olympics in Tokyo, there were about 10 Marathon runners who finished with asthma, but didn't have it when they started...

The crap in the air was THAT bad, it totally nailed em.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Tokyo olympics?

I think you mean Beijing, and that wasn't due to fog, it was due to the amount of freaking pollutant in the air from factories / cars etc.
  • Splottboy
    No Tokyo, long time ago...but the air was bad back then too.

In the 1950's thousands of people died in the UK due to "Smog", smoke and fog mixed.
    Even closed the Houses of Parliament as they couldn't breath.
    ( Let's hope it happens again there, eh?)

This is why there are "Smokeless Zones" and smokeless coal in the UK.
    Dad and uncle used to run coal businesses - what else, being Welsh? - and have told me all about it.

Much better now, but fog can do crappy things to your lungs...
    Try a Buff maybe?
  • The air everywhere is full of nasties Splotboy. That's what gives the scents and smells. Try riding past a sewerage works at speed, while panting hard!
    Anyway, I won't need lights soon. I windsurf near an atomic power plant and expect to glow in the dark shortly. :wink:
  • Splottboy
    You must live near Trawsfynedd or Amlwch, 2 Nuclear stations up here!

I like the locals, 3 heads, 5 arms...great jugglers tho, LOL!

Try Rhosneiger for great windsurfing in N.West Anglesey. Enjoy...
  • Nah, Teesside mate. (I 'do' Rhossy quite often.) That's the thing about retirement; everyday is either bike or sea. :D:D:D
  • Splottboy
    You Lucky, Lucky git! Few years for me yet, if I make it...