Bike brands, does it make alot of difference?

jaybo1973
jaybo1973 Posts: 301
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Hi

I was out on the trails with a mate of mine at the weekend. Havent cycled with him in a couple of years so it was the first time I had seen his new, (not so new now) bike. It was a marin, unsure which one. But the spec was almost identical to mine. Same brakes, shifters, fork, front mech. My rear mech was better. Unsure about head set and other stuff.

I know this is how it is, and is there is any point to this thread?, but, it was mad to see a bike with such simular components. Are brand x really better than brand y if they have the same components?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So what were the frames? Hard to compare otherwise!

Some manufacturers do seem to charge more for what looks like a similar frame to others. Some may have longer warranties.
  • jaybo1973
    Mine is a kona cindercone 2007 not sure what is marin is but, id imagine it would be of simular age and value judging by the components. It was grafite grey if that helps.

Wasn't really posting to make a comparison, it was more of an obeservasion of how simular bikes can be. I have never seen one with such a simular spec before
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Bike components can be similar, its the frames that can change the ride completely.
  • jaybo1973
    Very true. I had a go on his and to say that marin are 'supposed' to be better, I think mine is a better ride. Mine does fit me better though. His is a size smaller and a bit short, so obviously makes a difference
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    It all depends on what Marin he was riding, as like most frames there are entry level up to pro which affects weight, geometry, materials used etc.

Also what year the frame is etc

You can have 2 totally different frames, with exactly the same components on and they will feel totally different
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I'd say for the main part the big brands ally framed bikes it doesn't matter who 'makes' it so long as it has the geometry you want at a weight you want. Componets are all from the same suppliers and a lot of the frames are made in taiwan probably by giant. The more niche brands and steel frames then there will be inhouse frames so they will be different.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I think that the frame is far better than the brands connected to it.

It's more of an outlay in the first instance to get a decent frame.

Put it this way,

If I swapped all the components on my Orange 5 over to a Halfords special then, yes, there is a difference in brand.
    Craig Rogers
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If I swapped all the components on my Orange 5 over to a Halfords special then, yes, there is a difference in brand.

Maybe a Carrera banshee will perform better for some people!
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Didn't mean Carrera, was thinking more Shockwave.
    Craig Rogers
  • jaybo1973
    Do Kona make their own frames?

Didnt realise shockwave was a halfords brand, thought lots of shops sold em such as sports direct. Are they nasty to ride?
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    A frame is the heart and soul of a bike. Look at any magazine bike review - they will compare 'similar' bikes that often have nearly identical componants and yet some ride well and win, some are ok and occasionally one sucks.

Long travel AM bikes seem particulary prone to hit or miss bikes.