Jay dubbleU
Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
It's official - manflu does exist 8)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... sease.html

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    A team of scientists... the two mentioned by name are both male. Just saying.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I once sent an email in, saying I wasn't coming into work because I had manflu.

The HR girl was very amused :)
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    my wife gets man flu.

I just carry on to be honest I'm one of those not ill for years chaps.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    my wife gets man flu.

Is this your way of coming out? ;)
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Aidy wrote:
    my wife gets man flu.

Is this your way of coming out? ;)

heh no just my wife is awful with colds etc. where as I just keep on going.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    JonGinge wrote:

And, what's more, one of them sounds French.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JonGinge wrote:

Sacré bleu!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    JonGinge wrote:

Oh well there you go. The French are the biggest bunch of hypochondriacs out. Have you ever been to a small French village? If it's really small, you can guarantee that even though it hasn't got pubs, bars, shops etc it will at least have a chemists and not any old chemist, one that's got flashing LED lights all over, like a disco (why is it that French pharmacies look like a night club circa 1986?). Go to a similar tiny village in the UK and it will have a pub selling beer and fried or microwaved preprepared food.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    JonGinge wrote:
    Oh well there you go. The French are the biggest bunch of hypochondriacs out.

Indeed: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/f ... 779126.stm
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Having had proper flu (I dropped a stone in a week)... man flu is a cold or the sniffles
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Headhuunter
    sarajoy wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

So, so true! Serious trouble is that the French (and for that matter the Italians and Spanish) with their over use of antibiotics are steadily helping breed antibiotic proof bacteria, like MRSA which infests UK hospitals. Doctors on the continent subscribe antibiotics willy nilly like Smarties...
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    sarajoy wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

So, so true! Serious trouble is that the French (and for that matter the Italians and Spanish) with their over use of antibiotics are steadily helping breed antibiotic proof bacteria, like MRSA which infests UK hospitals. Doctors on the continent subscribe antibiotics willy nilly like Smarties...
    Whoa there tiger - lets just clarify this for a second....

The French are responsible for our MRSA? Not only that, but they are responsible for super-MRSA?

Sure it isn't anything to do with outsourcing of hospital cleaning by the tories, or anything like that?

What else are the French responsible for?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Excuse me but exactly how are the cleaners to blame for it. They still (mostly) do their job of cleaning the hospital whether they're outsourced or not.
  • Headhuunter
    sarajoy wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Whoa there tiger - lets just clarify this for a second....

The French are responsible for our MRSA? Not only that, but they are responsible for super-MRSA?

Sure it isn't anything to do with outsourcing of hospital cleaning by the tories, or anything like that?

No, no, no, I didn't mean that. Obviously we are responsibkble for our own MRSA with our cr@p hospital hygeine etc. All I'm saying is that over use of antibiotics will increase the spread of "super bacteria" like MRSA which are resistant to antibiotics. It seems that in the UK, doctors are finally getting this message and are more reluctant to prescribe antibiotics. Antibiotics should be used as a last defence, not something handed out to anyone with a cold. I'm not anti French. I love France. I studied French at university and am 99% fluent in the language...
  • Headhuunter
    suzyb wrote:
    Excuse me but exactly how are the cleaners to blame for it. They still (mostly) do their job of cleaning the hospital whether they're outsourced or not.
    Did you watch that Dispatches or Panorama or whatever documentary about how sh!t cleaning standards were in UK hospitals? Also how nurses and doctors rushed from ward to ward, patient to patient, touching things everywhere, without once washing their hands?
  • suzyb
    suzyb wrote:
    Did you watch that Dispatches or Panorama or whatever documentary about how sh!t cleaning standards were in UK hospitals? Also how nurses and doctors rushed from ward to ward, patient to patient, touching things everywhere, without once washing their hands?
    No but I do agree with you about that (although the few times I've visited my Gran in hospital all the nurses have cleaned their hands after touching a patient).

But that's not what I was responding to.

What I was disagree with is this blaming the cleaners. Or blaming the outsourcing of cleaning services etc. My mother was a hospital domestic for many years and she and her colleagues did their jobs as they were told to do them when they were with the NHS and when they became part of Serco.

Yet they always seem to get the blame when it comes to hospital hygiene standards. Like they can make visitors clean their hands before coming into a ward or stop them sitting on the patients beds or like you say make the nurses and doctors clean their hands in between patents.

But no, superbugs are rife because hospital cleaners are doing enough cleaning.
  • Headhuunter
    suzyb wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    No but I do agree with you about that (although the few times I've visited my Gran in hospital all the nurses have cleaned their hands after touching a patient).

What I was disagree with is this blaming the cleaners. Or blaming the outsourcing of cleaning services etc. My mother was a hospital domestic for many years and she and her colleagues did their jobs as they were told to do them when they were with the NHS and when they became part of Serco.

Yet they always seem to get the blame when it comes to hospital hygiene standards. Like they can make visitors clean their hands before coming into a ward or stop them sitting on the patients beds or like you say make the nurses and doctors clean their hands in between patents.

It's not fair to blame cleaners entirely and I'm sure there are some who are incredibly fastidious, but the fact remains that hospitals are currently a source of antibiotic resistant MRSA bacteria. They are making their way into society from hospitals, not the other way round, so hospital staff have to shoulder a lot of the responsibility for this. As do GPs who hand out antibiotics willy nilly and patients who don't complete full courses of antibiotics, leaving some to survive and evolve.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200

Excellent. I've been looking for something to add to the dinner party conversations whenever the subject turns to how much damage the tories did when they were last in power. And I hope our Great Leader doesn't miss a trick with this... I'd like to see Airbrush Dave try and wriggle his way of that one when the TV debates start...
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    +1 Suzyb. My mother was one too.
  • always_tyred
    suzyb wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

There is a distinction between cleaning services and individual cleaners. All individuals might do a reasonable job, yet the service as a whole be lamentable.

My partner is a social worker, thankfully not front line. The front liners get all the blame for everything, despite having about twice as much work as is recommended and being paid a fraction of other professionals with whom they are constantly accused of not communicating with (and not vice versa). They work long hours and are frequently signed off with stress related illnesses. On the whole they are intelligent and passionate about what they do, but are the whipping boys of the press and public alike.

See the analogy?

I therefore make no apology for pointing out that hospital borne infections are exacerbated by treating the cleaning services as a commerical undertaking, or by breaking the link between the health professionals using a ward and the cleaning activities. It is a completely reasonable statement borne out by statistics and which the NHS as a whole has identified and is trying to rectify. Quite how that can be taken personally is beyond me.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I think that the cleaning services are taking the flack for the NHS system.

I also think that blameing a political party that has not been in power for 13 years is also missing whos been running the NHS for the last 13 years.

As for how privateisation of cleaning in hospitals makes things worse... how come Private hospitals are doing alot better for infection rates? do they not use a private company to clean?

"The leading UK private hospital providers, including BMI, Bupa and Nuffield, all claim to have low hospital acquired infection records, experiencing only a few HAI cases each year, none of which are considered life-threatening. The Portland Hospital, for example, confirms it has had zero cases of MRSA (as at 7 March 2007), during the course of a year. BUPA Hospitals who publish performance information about each hospital reported zero cases of MRSA blood infections across all of their hospitals in 2006. HCA Hospitals have collected data since 1997 for all of their hospitals and in 2005 surgical site infection rates for knee replacements and hysterectomies at HCA hospitals was zero. "

http://www.surgerydoor.co.uk/hospitals/ ... hospitals/
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • always_tyred
    I think that the cleaning services are taking the flack for the NHS system.

I also think that blameing a political party that has not been in power for 13 years is also missing whos been running the NHS for the last 13 years.

As for how privateisation of cleaning in hospitals makes things worse... how come Private hospitals are doing alot better for infection rates? do they not use a private company to clean?

"The leading UK private hospital providers, including BMI, Bupa and Nuffield, all claim to have low hospital acquired infection records, experiencing only a few HAI cases each year, none of which are considered life-threatening. The Portland Hospital, for example, confirms it has had zero cases of MRSA (as at 7 March 2007), during the course of a year. BUPA Hospitals who publish performance information about each hospital reported zero cases of MRSA blood infections across all of their hospitals in 2006. HCA Hospitals have collected data since 1997 for all of their hospitals and in 2005 surgical site infection rates for knee replacements and hysterectomies at HCA hospitals was zero. "

http://www.surgerydoor.co.uk/hospitals/ ... hospitals/
    I think that most of this is self evident.

Why is it that to state that an increase in infection rates is a result of subcontracting cleaning services is taken as a criticism of cleaners? For you to retort by pointing out that its a structural problem with the NHS simply re-states my very point.

Your point regarding private hospitals is rather like saying, "Let them eat cake." Surely you appreciate that this is simply a reflection of the overall resources available per patient?

The problem for you to ponder, BikerBaboon, is how best to spend a comparatively scarce amount of money. This cannot be solved, just so you know, by simply suggesting that more money be spent.

Why shouldn't I point to the tories for introducing irrevocable structural problems into services like public transport, education and the health service? I was actually alive and trying to use all of these services in the 80's and each and every one of these issues had a direct effect on me. You might not agree, however again I think it a reasonable proposition.

It is nearly always simplistic to think in terms of mutually exclusive integers.

It is perfectly possibly for me to grumble about certain things the tories did 20 years ago, which have direct consequences now, without it necessarily implying that I agree with the way labour have dealt with them.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I dont disagree that the tories could well have done things better.

Im also not saying that your where critisising the cleaners. ( i think you where doing the oposite and blameing the whole systemthat needs to be looked at)

as with how to best spend limited resorces on the NHS. I see it as a Tshirt.
    if you are trying to put on a tshirt thats too small for you and your beer belly is sticking out the..... you could buy a new bigger shirt. ( Put more money in to the NHS) Or.... stop drinking and eating too much and get out for a run. ( or find ways of making the population not need the NHS as much. good diet and exercise stop people from bindge drinking on a friday night)

I was useing the Private hospitals to point out its not thats the cleaning is run as a company that stops it from working well.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • suzyb
    suzyb wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

There is a distinction between cleaning services and individual cleaners. All individuals might do a reasonable job, yet the service as a whole be lamentable.

My partner is a social worker, thankfully not front line. The front liners get all the blame for everything, despite having about twice as much work as is recommended and being paid a fraction of other professionals with whom they are constantly accused of not communicating with (and not vice versa). They work long hours and are frequently signed off with stress related illnesses. On the whole they are intelligent and passionate about what they do, but are the whipping boys of the press and public alike.

See the analogy?

I therefore make no apology for pointing out that hospital borne infections are exacerbated by treating the cleaning services as a commerical undertaking, or by breaking the link between the health professionals using a ward and the cleaning activities. It is a completely reasonable statement borne out by statistics and which the NHS as a whole has identified and is trying to rectify. Quite how that can be taken personally is beyond me.
    Because I'm having a crap day and wanted an argument.

Done now.
  • always_tyred
    :lol: Post of the week prize goes to suzyb.
  • always_tyred
    I dont disagree that the tories could well have done things better.

Im also not saying that your where critisising the cleaners. ( i think you where doing the oposite and blameing the whole systemthat needs to be looked at)

as with how to best spend limited resorces on the NHS. I see it as a Tshirt.
    if you are trying to put on a tshirt thats too small for you and your beer belly is sticking out the..... you could buy a new bigger shirt. ( Put more money in to the NHS) Or.... stop drinking and eating too much and get out for a run. ( or find ways of making the population not need the NHS as much. good diet and exercise stop people from bindge drinking on a friday night)

I was useing the Private hospitals to point out its not thats the cleaning is run as a company that stops it from working well.
    Okay - I take your point - its more the process of tendering, causing private companies to promise everything for suspiciously little that is the problem.

When you get a quote for some home improvements that is half as much as all the other quotes, do you (a) think that it is an excellent quote and that all the others are a rip off or (b) think this one guy is a cowboy who is going to do more harm than good.

When you are looking for a used car and find the model you want for half the price it should be in the blue book, think (a) bargain! (b) stolen (c) stolen, stolen cut in half, glued together with ready brek.

So, why is it that any government body reviewing tenders always seems to get suckered into going for the too good to be true option?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Given the option I'd still blame the French :wink: