Tyres need upgrading

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
So my Cube LTD Pro upgrade project is nearly complete. I will post a seperate topic with specs and pics soon. One of my last jobs is to change the tyres, My current High Roller 2.1's are worn but I would like some lighter tyres to replace.

Key is weight, I have spent a fair bit on upgrades (XT Groupset, Bars, Stem, Pedals etc) so don't want to ruin all that by putting on some heavy wire bead tyres. Also I know rolling weight is what matters,

I am considering either the Conti Race King 2.0 or the Fire XC Pro 2.1 both foldable kevlar jobs. I have noticed for extra cash you can get the supersonic version of the Conti but I am lead to believe it wears faster and only offers nominal performance gains

I have a seperate wheelset with Nobby Nics 2.3 for really messy XC so these new tyres only have to deal with bridleways/ dry XC and commuting so grip level is not massively important, more the weight.

Does anyone have experience of these tyres, which is best / alternatives?

Ideally I need under 500g to bring me in line with my target weight of 23/24 lbs

Cheers

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Have a look at the Maxxis Ignitor and Crossmark tyres.

They are both quite racy XC tyres

I think they are both lighter than the conti
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    specialized 'the captain' or 'fast trak lk' in 2.0 s-works are good- fast rolling, light, grippy enough, but not good in mud
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    If you are looking to get the weight down and want fast grippy tyres have a look at Rocket Rons 410g for the 2.1
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Maxxis Crossmark is a really good tyre and very light...though I only run one on the back. Not sure i would want one on the front too!!

Tyre weights if that helps...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listi ... e=mtbtyres
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • rmj555
    rmj555 Posts: 91
    just changed fire xc pros for race kings and there is a vast improvement. i will save the fire for winter
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    RaceKing 2.2 supersonic user here for all but the muddy stuff.
    I would only recommend the supersonics for tubless as they are puncher pron.
    they are hard waring tires and IMHO the best XC tire money can buy 480g after being sealed for running tubeless
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    I have recently got some Fire XC Pros & while they are ok in the mud/gunky stuff i find them to be sluggish when climbing in comparison to my Razer XC 2.1s.

I would say to put the Fire XC Pros away until next winter (as you have done)& go for something a l,ot quicker/less sluggish.

I find the Razer XC 2.1s to be light and pretty swift too.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.