frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited March 2010 in Pro race
trek-sarko.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2010
    More like a little payback for services rendered. After all, Sarkozy played a central role in ending the ASO's attempt to stand up to the corruption of the UCI. (Something that required getting rid of a few 'awkward obstacles' that were in the way such as Patrice Clerc). One of the main outcomes of this was that the UCI regained full control over the doping controls at the Tour, so ensuring there would be no 'embarrassing' incidents to mar Armstrong's return to the Tour. This is, of course, the very same reason why the UCI are so determined to keep the AFLD away from the Tour this year.

The ASO did not like the idea as it weakened their grip on their own races. At the height of the affair, the ASO excluded the UCI from the 2008 Tour and threatened to establish a rival Professional League.

McQuaid remembers the anxiety and stress of those years. "They were tough years for sure. Some days were very stressful. People I knew would have a lot of sympathy for me back then. Because some days we'd get a letter from the ASO at five o'clock on a Friday and it would just blow our world apart. Like, where do we go from here?"

In the end, sanity prevailed. McQuaid took a call one day from Nicolas Sarkozy. The president is a cycling fan and wanted to know why cycling was tearing itself apart. Jacques Rogge, the IOC president, was appointed as a mediator. The cycling world was rescued from the brink. McQuaid had weathered the storm.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 83523.html
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Wonder if he asked them for 56cm frame or a 52?

Strava is not Zen.
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    I must head over to the "Girls in lyrca" tread in cake stop to see if Carla is there :P
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Its nice to see that in these days of overpricing, the favours of the President of France can be obtained in return for a poorly decorated bicycle.

Who knows what you'd get in return if you arrived at the Élysée Palace with a bag of magic beans?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's always good to ingratiate yourself with a government when its police force is investigating you for illegal use of medicines :wink:
  • BikingBernie
    LangerDan wrote:
    Its nice to see that in these days of overpricing, the favours of the President of France can be obtained in return for a poorly decorated bicycle.
    I guess it helps that Sarkozy is something of an Armstrong fanboy. According to the following report this meeting was arranged as long ago as last October, specifically at the request of Sarko who is filled with wonder by Armstrong's 'talent'.

http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/106204/sa ... maniement/
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Kléber wrote:
    It's always good to ingratiate yourself with a government when its police force is investigating you for illegal use of medicines :wink:
    Maybe he gets a free "Get out of Jail Card" should it be required.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    The finesse of this conspiracy is impressive. Armstrong is wasting his talent racing bikes, he should be in arms dealing or nuclear proliferation.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DaveyL wrote:
    The finesse of this conspiracy is impressive. Armstrong is wasting his talent racing bikes, he should be in arms dealing or nuclear proliferation.

Who says he isn't?

The cycling might just be a ruse to draw attention away from it and earn a little money :wink:
  • BikingBernie
    edited March 2010
    DaveyL wrote:
    It's hardly a 'conspiracy', more like Sarko's attitudes towards the Tour (and possibly his 'wonderment' at Armstrong's 'talent') have inevitably lead to pressures being brought on the ASO and others that also happen to serve Armstrong's own interests.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Howard, I'm amazed you haven't turned up on the LA vs Kornheiser thread. Armstrong plus vile right-wing motorists, two of your favourite topics. Is it because you haven't yet been able to find anything even slightly negative about his actions on that issue?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BikingBernie
    DaveyL wrote:
    Howard, I'm amazed you haven't turned up on the LA vs Kornheiser thread. Armstrong plus vile right-wing motorists, two of your favourite topics. Is it because you haven't yet been able to find anything even slightly negative about his actions on that issue?
    As the title of that thread says Armstrong's stance there is something we can all agree on, so what is there to debate?
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I think it's ridiculous that all these rich people are getting free, very expensive bikes. Surely they're the people that can actually afford them.

They should give the free bikes away to people that can't afford them and who would probably appreciate them a hellofa lot more than me. Take me for example- I'm a student with no job, but I saved up all my busking money to replace a " shitty " Trek 1.2 that got stolen. If I love my " shitty " 1.2, imagine how much I'd love a " proper " bike!!!

Btw, the "s in my post are courtesy of the opinions of a wanker who works in a nearby LBS and tried to get me to buy a carbon fiber Wilier frame for £1000 when I told him that I had a " shitty " (his words) Trek 1.2 aluminium frame machine. If you worked in a bike shop, would you call any bike " shitty ". He was obviously a middle class twat who has probably never known what it's like to be poor
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    works in a nearby LBS

He was obviously a middle class fool who has probably never known what it's like to be poor

They obviously don't teach logic where you study.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Hang on in there, Paul- your day will come. All that studying will result in a well paid job, lots of free cash and a garage load of gorgeous bikes.

Then a wife and babies will come along, and you'll have to trade in your top of the range road bike for a pram.
  • VIN0
    VIN0 Posts: 19
    Tusher wrote:
    Hang on in there, Paul- your day will come. All that studying will result in a well paid job, lots of free cash and a garage load of gorgeous bikes.

Then a wife and babies will come along, and you'll have to trade in your top of the range road bike for a pram.

EEES veery true but i am having made so much monies is no problem plus glorious nation of Kazakhstan is buy bike for the Calves. I have meny childrens mostly with durrrty eeenglish ladies

Ahh is much free moneies but no longer have sheety trek is specialized race wonder machine, the LBS boy is sucking the dogs nipple.

Ave confused Claves
  • Tusher
    "sucking the dogs nipple"

Never heard that one before- a handy insult worth remembering, though, Vino. I learn so much on the interweb.
  • VIN0
    yes freckly tush laydeee is favourite Kazakh curse is meaning son of bi tch in american languages.

Also offer to be teaching much more it ees still open...

Ave translating Calves
  • Tusher
    I'm only capable of one new phrase a day.
    If that.
  • VIN0
    ees not neccescarry to talk the Calves have much to teach.

But now i must be gone ing ees resting Calves for tomorrow in service of Glorious Nation.

Ave Beddy byes Calves
  • Tusher
    Sweet dreams, Vino dear.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    For some reason when I saw the thread title I thought it said Lance flavours curry with Sarkozy! Bloody hell! :roll:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.