New bike.. Pitch Pro or Anthem x 4

B3zza
B3zza Posts: 13
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello,

I'm starting to get back into mountain biking again and I need some help.

I am after a great all round bike i can use for xc riding with my gf i.e. camping holidays riding through the forest exploring and so on. with ease to ride

But also looking for something i can chuck about a bit with my friends, i.e. Trail riding 2-3 foot drop offs maybe bigger if i feel tempted!

I know the anthem wont be able to handle much bigger than a foot or two but maybe its all i will need for now untill i decide on what route i want to take.

Or the pitch which has lots of potential for jumping and abuse but wonder if i will struggle with only 18 gears when i am taking a nice ride with the gf, will it still be a bike capable of comfortable all daylong riding??

Im stuck on what to do, please help

Ben

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you are quickly going to get into harder riding, then I'd go for a Pitch. You'll kill the Anthem.
  • B3zza
    B3zza Posts: 13
    And what about using the pitch for general xc light riding with the gf you know the drill, ride to the pub go out for the day take the bikes and ride through the parks and so on. Will it be as comfortable and pleasurable as the anthem or am i just talking crap??
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You can do a surprising amount on an anthem, but you can't really bash them about- if you can be sure of landing every drop perfectly and gently then maaaaybe, but if you're anything like me you'll mash it into the ground from time to time and it won't like that much.

Pitch otoh isn't a great XC bike, but it'll do it reasonably well. The Anthem's a stunningly good XC bike. think you kind of need to decide what's more important, there's no bike that'll do both jobs brilliantly since they're so different.

Way I think I'd look at it is if you want to do XC on a Pitch, you'll get tired. But if you want to do downhill on an Anthem, you may snap it in half and break all your limbs.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Possibly look at the Specialized Stumpjumper.

Will be able take the abuse on the downhill but light enough for the ups
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    Pitch....

not as bad on xc as you might think.... as long as you set it up well... (tyre pressures, and shock pressures... )
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.