Boardman Team or Cannondale CAAD 9 (Tiagra)

ash032
ash032 Posts: 2
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
I've a budget of upto £1,000 for a new road bike. I've narrowed it down to either the Boardman Team or the Cannondale CAAD 9.

The equipment of the boardman seems to be massively superior to the Cannondale but the frame of the Cannondale is meant to be very good.

Also is it worth getting the Team Carbon or not? Is carbon a lot better?

Thanks Ash...

Comments

• Samson1
    Samson1 Posts: 44
    Ride them both and decide for yourself which you like. Don't get too hung up on having the best spec for your money. The Cannondale frame is good but so is the Boardman - just ride them and see which YOU prefer.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    All 3 are good bikes. If one was head and shoulders above the rest, people would be buying that one and not the others.
    Go for the one which has geometry to suit you best and you like the look of.
  • Go talk to your local Halfords, if they give you any warnings signs as to their competence, buy the Cannondale.

To be honest, both bikes are good bikes with excellent reviews. You can't go wrong. :)
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Cannondale has better wheels and brake callipers, along with a VERY good alloy frame. Boardman has an OK carbon frame, great gearing for the price but poor brake calipers and heavy basic wheels.

Also worth looking at the Trek 2.1, good alloy frame, OK wheels and 105 gearing.
  • Is it true that the Boardman weighs only just over 18lbs?

In what way is it's carbon frame inferior to more expensive carbon frames?

Anyway, I have a Trek 2.1 ordered. Pro-lite Braccianos too. :D I liked the comfy geometry.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Yeah, the Boardman is pretty light for the cash. My Giant Defy Advanced isn't much lighter even with upgraded wheels...... but my god I love it! Giant have a habit of overbuilding frames to ensure strength and stiffness though
  • olddgreg
    olddgreg Posts: 53
    Is it true that the Boardman weighs only just over 18lbs?

In what way is it's carbon frame inferior to more expensive carbon frames?

Anyway, I have a Trek 2.1 ordered. Pro-lite Braccianos too. :D I liked the comfy geometry.
    It's not inferior at all, it's an excellent frame, and an excellent bike. Just like the CAAD9. And the Trek 2.1. :) It took me a long time to figure out that people bashing particular bikes are being snobby/loyal to their own brand. Who's going to fork out several grand, and then tell you that there are other bikes just as good as theirs! For a grand, you can't go far wrong.
    The Boardman weighs 17.6lbs in medium excluding pedals, according to the Boardman website.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I have a Team Carbon, its a great bike, fundamentally though carbon is not 'a lot better'.

The CAAD9 has an awsome frame developed over many years, the Boardman has a more than acceptable frame designed in a relatively short time but using a different material and different parameters.

On paper, for your money, the Boardman wins. In reality, try both bikes, see which feels better and go with that.

I have an obsession with carbon and a underlying hatred of mainstream big corporations, Spesh, Trek, Dale etc were off my radar from the start.

Orbea and Planet X were possibilities but after riding the Boardman I was sold, 25km training ride or 155km sportive I'm completely stoked.

Weight wise, the official figures about right, have fettled mine a little and it weighs less than that with pedals.

:wink::wink:
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    I looked at the CAAD9 today in the flesh as I'm considering going from carbon back to alummnium, and I have to say I was mighty impressed with it.

Even with Tiagra it was surprisingly light and the 2010 white colour scheme is a 1000% more attractine than the black IMO.

I've been into Halford many times - and while the Boardman bikes may be good - they just leave me cold.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    From the experience of my boardman comp now about nine months worth of use I can vouch for the quality. I have covered approx 2.5k miles and have only changed the tyres and bar tape. I regularly get good comments from friends and some strangers I meet up with on rides, I would also agree with the bike snobbery comment above regarding some cyclists so take no notice.

I have tried out a CAAD9 a few weeks back and loved it's build quality. I think it came with a 105 groupset which was making me drool, however it was more expensive than your boardman team.

Try them out and pick the best feel, for value though no matter what people say that try to berate the boardman range in my eyes they are extremely tough to beat. If you know enough about bikes and parts and maintenance then setting one up is a doddle with no need to bash the halfords stereotype as you should be able to do this yourself when forking out that level of money.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I have a 2009 CAAD9 with Tiagra. Tbh I didn't like it at first, but much of that was due to the poor set up from the bike shop and myself. I have since replaced a kinked cable, put on my Conti 4000S tyres, Charge Spoon saddle, raised the saddle and lowered the shifters. Now I love it. A very smooth comfortable ride with terrific handling. At £750 I don't think I could have done better for the money.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Giant is very nice but the Boardman is a bargain.

The frame is good, stiff and takes away the vibrations. It handles well but it is priced brilliantly.

The frame is quite good but I'm not impressed by a 2yr warranty unlike Trek's lifetime warranty etc.

Brakewise the Boardman is weak but is it is fine and the wheels-the front wheel is fine but the rear wheel weighs as much as wheelset!

The Cannondale is more than a £1000.

Can you wait and save £1500 and get the Boardman Pro or is this a bike to work thing?

£1500 opens more doors and better specs but it depends on your needs etc.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Giant is very nice but the Boardman is a bargain.

The frame is good, stiff and takes away the vibrations. It handles well but it is priced brilliantly.

The frame is quite good but I'm not impressed by a 2yr warranty unlike Trek's lifetime warranty etc.

Brakewise the Boardman is weak but is it is fine and the wheels-the front wheel is fine but the rear wheel weighs as much as wheelset!

The Cannondale is more than a £1000.

Can you wait and save £1500 and get the Boardman Pro or is this a bike to work thing?

£1500 opens more doors and better specs but it depends on your needs etc.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Carl_P wrote:
    I have a 2009 CAAD9 with Tiagra. Tbh I didn't like it at first, but much of that was due to the poor set up from the bike shop and myself. I have since replaced a kinked cable, put on my Conti 4000S tyres, Charge Spoon saddle, raised the saddle and lowered the shifters. Now I love it. A very smooth comfortable ride with terrific handling. At £750 I don't think I could have done better for the money.

Same, when I first tried my CAAD9 out, I did'nt like it, so I went to another shop, bought a Genesis Aether, only to come back to the other shop about 8 months later and buy the same exact CAAD9 that I tried before buying the CAAD9, dunno what I never liked about it at first, it just wanted to go faster, when I got up off the saddle the thing just seemed to take off quicker than most bikes 8)