c.£400 Hardtail thru Cyclescheme (not Halfords)

RoyalVilla
RoyalVilla Posts: 8
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

Apologies in advance for the common question :)

My work have joined cyclescheme so I thought this would be a good time to get a bike! I'm primarily looking for a fun occasional ride to work and would like to try some trails xc type stuff. I like fitness so this would be a good chance to try something new.

I was looking to spend about £400 but could spend more. I guess I want something light and reliable, but sturdy too (I'm 15st / 6ft).

I was thinking a Specialized Hardrock disc (or sport disc) or maybe a Trek 3900 disc or 4300 disc, simply because my local shop stock them. I'd be happier to go further afield if I thought it was worth it.

Basically I don't want to spend more than I need but would be happy to go to £450 even £500 if I thought it was worth it.

It's a shame I can't use Halfords under the scheme as they have some good carerra bikes at this price.

Thanks in advance for any advice, Cheers RV

Comments

• jallan
    jallan Posts: 1
    I know they are not very common in this country but Orbea do a good hardtail at this price. I bought an Orbea Enigma which was at bit out of your price range at £1000 but it came with Fox forks, SRAM X-5, X-7 mix and formula disk brakes. However the stand out bit of kit for me was the crossride wheels.

The frame is nice and light and but has withstood the rigour of my 16 stone frame commuting off road 15 miles every day for a year with no signs of damage.

It may not be a Gucci brand but for me it has been a great buy.

Hope this helps
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Hi RV, obviously with your budget you will have to compromise on specification. Any bike around the £400 mark will get you something that will handle forest fire roads and slight rough terrian. The Mongoose Tyax Elite is not a bad buy, personally I would take £600 on the scheme and get something just a bit better, such as the Carrera Fury, or the Tyax Super as you get an adjustable fork 80-130mm and Tektro Hydraulic brakes..you can also get a Giant XTC around the £600 mark...For more bang for you buck don't get drawn in to the names like Kona, Marin and Specialized...as you will pay for the name.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • RoyalVilla
    RoyalVilla Posts: 8
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm hoping to get the bike fairly local and can't find a cyclescheme supplier of Mongoose anywhere near me.
    The brands this leaves are - Spesh, Trek, Giant, Felt, C Butler, Dawes, Marin, Kona, Cube, GT.

If I was going to be tight the Specialized HR disc or Sport disc and maybe the Felt Q520 catch my eye.

If I was going to splash out a bit more, I like the look of the Trek 4500 disc which I've found for £500.

Like I say, I might pay a bit more, but only if it's really going to be worth it. I'd like it to be light with good forks and wheels, but don't really know how good the various component sets really are.
    I should also add that I'd like a reliable bike that doesn't need constant tune-ups etc.

Would like to know if I'm on the right track or if there are any other good alternatives.

Cheers, RV
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are better bikes than the basic Hardrocks for this money - have a look at the Mongoose Tyax Elite. Aim for 24 gears at least.
  • Like I say, no Mongoose supplier in cyclescheme near me, so am looking for suggestions.
  • Well, looks like in the £400-£550 price range the Carerra Kraken / Fury or Mongoose Tryax Elite (Super at a push) seem to be the best value bikes.

It's a shame I can't get any of them on the scheme! - does anyone have any alternatives??

Would you buy a Trek 4500 disc or something else? Need to decide on a 2010 bike in the next few days!
    Please help - brands available locally are:
    Spesh, Trek, Giant, Felt, C Butler, Dawes, Marin, Kona, Cube, GT.

Cheers RV
  • djames77
    djames77 Posts: 164
    pay more and get this i reckon. I think it is worth the extra

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360045262/
  • djames77 wrote:
    pay more and get this i reckon. I think it is worth the extra

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360045262/

I'd love to but unfortunately I can't as it's unavailable on the cyclescheme.

I want to get a bike locally and can thus only select from these brands:
    Specialized, Trek, Giant, Felt, C Butler, Dawes, Marin, Kona, Cube, GT

Of those I'm thinking of the Trek 4500 disc, but am unsure and would appreciate advice.
    Cheers, RS
  • Rickbus
    Rickbus Posts: 39
    Hey Royal,

Like you i had limited suppliers to choose from, i ended up going for the Specalized Hardrock Pro Disc 2010 at £549.99, as like in thread people say you pay for the name, but i collected it yesterday and took it out for the first time today.
    Its my first proper MTB so i cant compare to anything but i loved it!! Responsive, quick, smooth found no faults with it yet, so i can recomend it.

Good luck with you hunt.
    Specialized Hardrick Pro Disc 2010
  • djames77
    djames77 Posts: 164
    might be worth looking at http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=44340

i got a spesh rockhopper when looking about 9 months ago. I understand what people say about the brand but honestly i don't see much difference in spec's at set price ranges. The hardrock will serve you well i am sure if you go for it.

this looks a good buy too http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Felt_ ... 360049673/
  • jaybo1973
    jaybo1973 Posts: 301
    Not sure what shops you have local, but many sell off last years models with big reductions on them. I know places like JE James always have last years bikes like rockhoppers, cinder cones and calderas with a couple hundred quid off
  • Thanks for all the advice. I think it's going to be between:
    1. Spesh Hardrock Pro Disc
    2. Trek 4500 disc
    Both are £550 and look good, but I'm erring towards the Trek simply because I prefer the white.
    I'll have a sit on them in the shop before making a final decision.

If I was spending this money and not going through the cycle scheme I'd def buy a Carrera Fury.
    Maybe I should sell the Spesh as new and buy a Fury!
    Cheers, RV