Big Hit Bike Rack

thediscoflamer
thediscoflamer Posts: 14
edited March 2010 in MTB general
HELP!!

I have recently bought a 2008 Specialized BigHit, and I was hoping that there's someone out there who has transported one before.

I currently use a Mont Blanc roof carrier for my trail bike, but it won't take the BH.

Does anyone have any experience with Bighits or other DH bikes on roofs? And if so what carrier do you use? Pictures would be ace.

Cheers.

Comments

• Radixmatrix
    Radixmatrix Posts: 36
    edited March 2010
    Hi,

I'm in a similar situation, 2006 BigHit won't fit on Mont Blanc Barracuda rack.

I've been doing some research on internet, and current options seem to be import a Thule 594 Sidearm from somewhere like L.L.Bean or bite the bullet and stick a towbar on and buy a Pendle Heavy Duty Rack.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers - John
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    How about a Thule 591 rack?
    It's just the right part for the job and as I do own one of these, I am yet to come across a bike that doesn't fit on them..
  • I've looked at the sidearm, and it certainly seems to fit all manner of bikes. Two things concern me about it though. The first is that because it only supports the front wheel, I'm concerned at how stable it would be, or how much stress it would place on the front wheel. But it does seem to work for a lot of people in the States. The second, and probably slightly less important, is that it looks hideous when not in use. But, beggars and all that....

My mate has a Thule Proride and a BH, and has promised to send some photos of that combo. When I get them I'll post them.

Cheers
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    mate of mine had a big hit that he carried on his thule roof rack. Was an @rse to get on as I recall, but did work
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    I use a Thule 591 for my Iron Horse Sunday.

Problem is that it is not warrantied to take anything as heavy. Reckon my Sunday is pushing 42lbs.

I only use it for short trips in the car, wouldn't fancy an extended period of it up top, sure the Thule is up to the job, but you can hear it creaking!!!

About to change to a Nissan Qashqai, so shall boot it if i need to make a long journey.
  • My mate has sent me these (ropey) photos of his BH on teh Thule Proride 591. He reckons it's sturdy enough once on there. I'm still swithering....
    P1000688.jpg
    P1000689.jpg
    P1000687.jpg
  • dogboy73
    dogboy73 Posts: 440
    I'm in the same boat. Just bought a new car & there's no way I'm putting a thilthy post ride bike in the boot like I did with my old car! I was also looking at the Thule Pro Ride 591 but I was concerned that the arm wouldn't work properly with my bike because of the unusual frame shape. But seing those pics I think it should be okay. I wouldn't mind trying one out with my bike. One slight problem - I've not finished building it yet! :?
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Believe you me, the 591 is solid. I carry my All Mountain on it and she's no lightweight either at circa 36 LBS. I've traveled far and wide with both of the 591's on my Land Rover Discovery's roof and on my Golf 5.

I've never had an issue and yes they do hold a bike securely as I found out the hard way one day when I decided to park the Discovery under a tree with the bikes on the roof. They almost became overpriced branch trimmers and although I made contact with the tree canopy they didn't move. They just got full of leaves and soft branches.
    My 591's do not creak, however they and the bikes whistle when I on the move.

Regarding fuel consumption, on my Golf (GT TDi) two bikes aloft will deprive me of 3-5MPG depending on how I drive I often clock 80+ with the bikes on top
    The Discovery is a V8 so I won't go there.. :oops:
  • He assures me that it's totally secure, but I can't help but be sceptical. The last thing I'd want is that heavy beast toppling at twating the roof of the car at 70!

I've actually started to consider the outride 561. I know it means taking the front wheel off, but that's no great shakes, and it would give me greater peace of mind.
  • simon_a
    simon_a Posts: 1
    I use one of these: http://www.roof-rack-supplies.co.uk/bik ... -eiger.htm
    for my meta 5.5. I couldn't get anything else to fit other than use a rear mounted rack and I remembered an ancient rack like that my dad used to have. It's pretty basic, no locks and is a pita to fit to the roof bars but it's light so I just leave it mounted on the bars and lift the entire lot off the roof.
    I've also used it to carry my spesh rockhopper and a mate's scott ransom without needing to adjust anything on it so it does the job pretty well.
  • dogboy73
    I ordered a roof rack for my new Fiesta last night. Having it fitted on Saturday. Apparently you have to rip out the existing guttering, insert the fittings via the door seals & then add the cut to size new guttering that comes with the rack kit! I'm paying Ford to fit it because I don't fancy trying this myself on my brand new car :?

Also ordered x2 Thule Proride 591 bike racks. I'll be mobile again very soon hopefully. Wales here I come :wink:
  • dogboy73
    ........ after my last post I did a bit more research & found this;

http://www.thule.co.uk/appguide/yourDet ... P=&tLocks=

Looks like there are 2 systems according to this - a rapid system & a traditional system. I think the one Ford have sold me is the traditional one. Erm. Think I want the rapid one really. This looks & obviously sounds like it would be quicker & easier to attach & hopefully would save me having to have the inside of my car ripped out to attach the ....... erm ....... traditional one?! F**k knows! Can't get a straight answer from anyone at Ford's! I'm ringing Thule on the morrow :wink: