Tour of Flanders a monument?

hommelbier
hommelbier Posts: 1,555
edited March 2010 in Pro race
I know some of the classics are referred to as monuments - can we now see other race organisers rushing to get their events "recognised".

What advantages would being on a Unesco list confer, if any?

http://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme/classiques/le-ronde-classe-au-patrimoine-mondial-71313

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Preservation of the local roads for a start - no b*gger can dig-up the Oude Kwaremont or Wolvenberg for the sake of a local bypass or supermarket car park! Ironically, the story goes that a local farmer built the Paterberg just across from the Koppenberg because he wanted the same attention as his neighbour! There is also work to restore some roads to their pre-tarmaced glory in the region. I expect Flanders has recognised the value that cycling brings to the region in terms of their heritage and encouraging tourism.

Many of the roads used by Paris-Roubaix have preservation status, for example
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    As far as I'm aware some of the major sections such as Oude Kwaremont and the Molenberg have had protected status since the early 90s, but anything that gives extra protection is to be welcomed.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The Unesco list can help protect some things but I don't see what will get preserved given the list is all about sites of shared human interest. It's a great bike race but frankly of little relevance to billions of people in the world. Rather than waiting years in a pricey application to woo Unesco bigwigs, local politicians in Belgium can do it themselves and pass the right planning laws.

And note the route often changes, whether the start and finish towns, or the places along the way.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Kléber wrote:
    The Unesco list can help protect some things but I don't see what will get preserved given the list is all about sites of shared human interest. It's a great bike race but frankly of little relevance to billions of people in the world.

Have you ever been to Le Havre? That's on the UNESCO list. :shock:

If a concrete mess like Le Havre can get on, so can the Ronde.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    johnfinch wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    The Unesco list can help protect some things but I don't see what will get preserved given the list is all about sites of shared human interest. It's a great bike race but frankly of little relevance to billions of people in the world.

A slag heap in Blaenavon is on the list too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Being recognised on the UNESCO list is of great symbolic value, also a powerful tool in local and national politics.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

A slag heap in Blaenavon is on the list too.

Oi! I worked on that UNESCO bid. It's a very pretty and historically significant slag heap.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    I know a pretty and fairly historical sla...... oops, no better not go there! :lol:
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    me to :wink:
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    me to :wink:
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09