Prescription MTB Glasses

chortlon-sim
chortlon-sim Posts: 135
edited March 2010 in MTB general
My trusty Briko prescription inserts have finally given up and the plastic clip has broken. Unfortunately I’ve got quite a strong short sighted prescription (4.5 diopters) and Oakley will only glaze upto 4.0. Can anyone suggest a company doing prescription mtb glasses? I think the problem with glazing strong prescription glasses is based on the curvature of the lens. So presumably glasses with flatter lenses would be OK? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated…

Comments

• MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    This isn't much help, but I have the same problem and also found that adidas's prescription inserts don't go that high either, so the only solution I have (but haven't tried yet) is contact lenses. If you find a manufacturer of wrap-around glasses that can magically get our prescription in them would you mind PMing me please?
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    i use contacts, but I'm thinking about these guys-
    http://www.optilabs.com/site/pages.php?fid=0,6

quote- 'However, as a ball-park figure, a minus prescription up to -10 spherical (or Sph). A plus prescription up to +8 Sph, and cylinder (or cyl) up to +/-6. If you are in any doubt, please don't hesitate to 'phone us on 0208 6865708 to make further enquiries, or drop us an e-mail'

I remember the halcyon days of -4.5, I'm at -5 in both eyes now.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I was -4.25 and -4.5 and used contact lenses, coupled with cheapo bolle glasses from ebay......

I could never justify the cost of prescription cycling glasses because I lose a couple of pairs a year!

Had laser surgery at the end of July last year, so no longer think about it.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • stuart_c-2
    stuart_c-2 Posts: 805
    I don't see your -4.5 and I raise you, -18.5 and -20.5.

Guess I won't bother looking at prescription riding glasses then.
    "I ride to eat"
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    oooooh
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cee wrote:

Did it fully restore vision to 20/20?

I'm toying with the idea, fedup of wearing glasses.
  • cw42
    cw42 Posts: 205
    Get some of these:
    http://www.kontrolsports.co.uk/product_ ... 0Grey%20Rx
    Then take the free prescription insert to here:
    http://www.specsdirectuk.com/specific.asp
    Mine work a treat. Got 2 pairs now, clear for winter, smokey for summer.
    Not sure by your post whether the prescription will go low enough for you though?
    live long, eat biscuit
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cw42 wrote:
    Get some of these:
    http://www.kontrolsports.co.uk/product_ ... 0Grey%20Rx
    Then take the free prescription insert to here:
    http://www.specsdirectuk.com/specific.asp
    Mine work a treat. Got 2 pairs now, clear for winter, smokey for summer.
    Not sure by your post whether the prescription will go low enough for you though?

cw42 they look good for £21.99 how much did it cost you to get the insert glazed. Also I have a big fat head whats the fit like
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cw42
    Hang on, got a picture of me with them on:
    sierra0935.jpg
    as you can see, I've also got a fat face :)
    The insert was the basic price of £14.95 as I dropped them off and picked them up the day after when they were done. Think you'd normally have to pay postage as well. But they're in North Manchester so drove over.
    live long, eat biscuit
  • ESC
    ESC Posts: 34
    Optilabs are OK but their frames are pretty cheap and nasty IMO. Their place at Croydon was only a half hour away for me so went in and chose the frames and had them adjusted on site, I use Bolle’s now if I’ve not got contacts in and they’re far better.
    www.exploresilvercoast.com
    PORTUGAL I BIKE I SURF I WALK
  • stubs
    cw42 wrote:
    Hang on, got a picture of me with them on:
    sierra0935.jpg
    as you can see, I've also got a fat face :)
    The insert was the basic price of £14.95 as I dropped them off and picked them up the day after when they were done. Think you'd normally have to pay postage as well. But they're in North Manchester so drove over.

AAHH my screen just broke :wink::lol:

They look just what I am after cheers just off to put an order in for 2 pairs smoke and clear I presume you just swap the insert between the 2 is it easy to do with sweaty hands
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    i have a really bad stigmatism, so i have to wear glasses and it sucks, but they fit under DH goggles so its all good.
  • cw42
    Stubs, you cheeky monkey! :)
    seas easy to swap the insert over between glasses. I use a small knife to flip the insert out. At that price though, the option to have 2 inserts is always there.
    live long, eat biscuit
  • stubs
    Cheers cw42 just ordered
  • jimih73
    jimih73 Posts: 49
    I'm -4.5 and -4.75.

I have used Optilabs twice now and have no issues with the frames looking cheap!

My newer pair have reacta light lenses which mean I don't have to faff with changing lenses!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    sorry for the brief thread hijack...
    Briggo wrote:
    cee wrote:

Did it fully restore vision to 20/20?

I'm toying with the idea, fedup of wearing glasses.

Briggo...yes, i now have better than 20/20 vision in both eyes. I also had astigmatism, and that was corrected. It does lose a little focus for about half an hour just at dusk, but this has been imporving consistently for months, inline with how they said it would, and i have no reason to doubt at this point why they wont continue to improve in the way they expect. Thats 9 months since the op so.......

I would say that obviously everyone is unique, so outcomes are not able to be absolutely promised, however, I am delighted with my result.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Thanks for all the useful advice chaps. I have been using a Briko insert for a few yrs at about 3ish dioptors, even though my prescription is now 4.5ish they have been fine (infact when cycling I can’t tell the difference). As such I have spoken with Vision Express who are downgrading my prescription to 4 diopters to enable me to get curved lenses (having spoken to VE I am told this is fine). Thanks again…
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    yeah thanks cee i would maybe go for laser eye surgery (when i am older) but my astigmatism is quite bad...
  • Hey there, if you live near Leeds I've used David H Meyers in the city centre to get prescription Oakleys made up in my equally high strenght prescription ( outside the range that most Oakley dealers offer). The glasses are excellent had them for 3 years now and they're the best sunnies I've owned.

It\'s 106 Mile to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I faced the choice of prescription galsses recently,

I actually weent with daily disposable contacts for riding, Mostly after seeing some right off a set of lenses in a single crash...
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Anyone got any experience of the 720 Armour glasses currently being sold on CRC:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=36720
    I've used Bolle and Briko (which are my current glasses) in the past. Looking for something that isn't stupidly expensive - because they do break, and with the ability to change the lenese for different riding conditions.