SPD-SL pedals - trouble releasing

jrab
jrab Posts: 99
edited March 2010 in Workshop
Got a set of the latest 105-level SPD-SL pedals last summer having used SPDs for a few years. Still on the original cleats, never had a problem clipping in or out of them (or the SPDs for that matter), until yesterday, when it was notably harder - had a few hairy moments.

Hadn't noticed much of a problem until I was forced to pull off and put a foot down into a very muddy verge (thanks a bunch Mr Astra!). From then on it seemed much harder, but stopping to clean the mud from cleat & pedal didn't seem to make any difference.

To me, SPD cleats seem to get easier to release as they wear out, do SPD-SL cleats tend to get harder? Is 8 months / 1200 miles respectable for a set of cleats or should I expect more?

Cheers,
Richard.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Make sure everything is tight. Put the bike on a workstand with the shoes clipped in.
    Use a flashlight or whatever and take a good look at the soles while unclipping to see, well, to see what you can see. You might find your problem.
  • Marcosplace
    Marcosplace Posts: 103
    And add some Fairy washing up liquid to the contact areas...has to be fairy though! No cheap stuff :lol:
  • Heckler1974
    Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    The bit that tends to wear is the lip on the front of the cleat and once it wears, rather than being harder to unlclip it'll unclip unexpectedly so from that point of view SPD-SLs need a closer eye kept on them than SPDs.

Maybe you have some mud or grit on the sprung bit on the back of the pedal that's stopping you unclipping?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    The fact you had issues after putting your foot into a muddy verge, is your answer. It will be mud still causing the issue, unless you have washed both the pedal and the shoe/cleat.

Mine do the same sometimes, and a good wash sorts out the problem.
  • jrab
    jrab Posts: 99
    OK thanks guys.

I washed the pedals and then gave liberal spray with PTFE "magic spray" around the hinge area, and brushed the cleats to get rid of any last bits of mud. Checked all the fasteners to make sure they're tight.

Won't get chance to ride that bike again til Friday now so will have to hope it's done the trick. Cleats don't seem to be worn, so was hoping they weren't past it already.

Cheers,
    Richard.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    JRAB wrote:
    OK thanks guys.

I washed the pedals and then gave liberal spray with PTFE "magic spray" around the hinge area, and brushed the cleats to get rid of any last bits of mud. Checked all the fasteners to make sure they're tight.

Won't get chance to ride that bike again til Friday now so will have to hope it's done the trick. Cleats don't seem to be worn, so was hoping they weren't past it already.

Cheers,
    Richard.

It's not really required to actually ride the bike to see if your pedals and cleats work correctly. Hop on the bike while leaning up against a wall or post and clip in and out a few times. That should tell you all you need to know.