No Shack at Giro

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2010 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    iainf72 wrote:
    No really surprising I guess.
    The reserve team are not required then.
    oh goody there will be no rider strikes this year.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    deejay wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Yes, Di Luca isn't racing...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    I’m sure last year’s race had him questioning his decision to take part. He looked ragged at times, and surely never had any intention of going back. Besides, it would be unthinkable to break Levi’s affair with the Tour of California.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Only 1 Dutch team? Rabobank, obiously, so disappointment for Skil and Vacansoleil.

Wildcard teams... maybe Colnago? Young Modolo was quite impressive in TA and MSR. Hopefully Xacobeo too.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    DaveyL wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Yes, Di Luca isn't racing...

Yea DDL seems to have avoided being cast as the main instigator of that last year even tho its generally accepted that he was.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    LA probably thought he could roll back the clock and dominate and win, knowing that the shorter time frame would make it easier to do. when he bust his shoulder it screwed his plan (win the giro in the centenary year, come second to AC in the tour) so he got pssed off... the first time that he's in the race and he's involved in a rider protest is a bad move which ever way you cut the cake

If Lance and Levi aren't in the giro team, who would they hang the story around??? no big name italian riders and radio shack aren't a big name in italy...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • iainf72
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Yea DDL seems to have avoided being cast as the main instigator of that last year even tho its generally accepted that he was.

Generally accepted in your house?
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    Only 1 Dutch team? Rabobank, obiously, so disappointment for Skil and Vacansoleil.

Wildcard teams... maybe Colnago? Young Modolo was quite impressive in TA and MSR. Hopefully Xacobeo too.

Thought Pozzivivo looked on good form in TA and he has done well in the Giro in the past when he was with CSF so maybe Colnago will get in.
  • moray_gub
    edited March 2010
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Generally accepted in your house?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/22072009/ ... oping.html

Di Luca had led this year's Giro riders in a protest about the safety of the stage through the streets of Milan and gained widespread respect from the peloton.

Just after halfway through the 165km stage the bunch stopped on the finish line and Di Luca explained the reasons for their go slow. "We're sorry for the public but the circuit isn't safe. We don't want to risk anything. We hope the fans understand,” he said before the bunch set off again.

Not just in my house it would seem
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    No loss there then. Firstly no camera/press spending an inordinate amount of time over them, no ugly bikes and kit and most of all, they don't even have quality riders.

Looking forward to seeing Evans back in the Giro mix.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I think we see what caused the gastro problems on Saturday now.

Last year Di Luca was the frontman for the go-slow, because he was in pink and spoke Italian. Many riders were shocked by Horillo's spectacular accident so it wasn't down to one rider alone, Pozzato, Rogers, Basso and others were not happy. But Armstrong was one of the instigators, as Pozzato told RAI "after the first lap, even Lance said this circuit shouldn’t be raced on”.

But unlike all the other riders Armstrong was being paid a lottery-win sized fee to do the race, it's no wonder Zomegnan too such affront, especially since this was such an important stage of the race, on Sunday in Milan city centre. Il Giornale wrote about the matter:
    an old-age pensioner – the Texan slipper-seller, who's clearly come to Italy for a holiday, has been sowing seeds for days. He fires up younger colleagues, writes provocative messages on his website, sends threatening messages to race organiser Zomegnan. He doesn't like the finishes, he doesn't like the descents, now he doesn't even like the flat parts. It's now clear to everyone that the decision to invite him to the Giro has become a terrible boomerang.
    :lol:

Given all this hostility and the Tour of California, I think RetirementShack were never going to ride anyway, this is just Zomegnan giving some payback to Armstrong.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Clearly, the Giro will now go bankrupt, as no race can survive without the huge amounts of cash having Armstrong in your race supposedly brings.

The Italians must also really 'hate' Armstrong. Even 'The French' let him ride 'their' race. :wink:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Perhaps 'The French' are just more venal than the Italians...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Pretty easy decision for the Giro, really.
    The Shack A-Team (who've won nowt) are heading for Cali and the B-Team (who've also won nowt) and are largely unknown outside of Texas, t'was a no brainer.
    Can't see it being any kind of loss the race.
  • moray_gub

no ugly bikes . and kit and most of all, they don't even have quality riders.

Looking forward to seeing Evans back in the Giro mix.

So a 7 times TDF winner a two regular TDF podium finishers etc are not quality riders ? lol you really need to rise above the black shoe angle. Admittedly no great loss to the race as such given it was liley to be lesser riders but you really need to take your head out of your a*se at times.
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:

Certainly not to Radioshack anyway given this

http://twitter.com/lancearmstronG

Interesting 2 read that @teamradioshack not selected 4 the Giro. Unrelated - guess they got our letter Jan 23 saying we wouldn't be coming.

• iainf72
    Moray Gub wrote:

Interesting 2 read that @teamradioshack not selected 4 the Giro. Unrelated - guess they got our letter Jan 23 saying we wouldn't be coming.

So you're laughing at JB and LA failing to align their stories again?

Yes, quite funny. :wink:
  • moray_gub
    edited March 2010
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

So you're laughing at JB and LA failing to align their stories again?

Yes, quite funny. :wink:

So they didnt send a letter to say they were not going to the Giro then ?

edit

http://www.johanbruyneel.com/blog.html

I communicated this a number of months ago to RCS. Simply that this year's Giro did not fit within the team's objectives and plans. If anything, I think this showed respect to RCS and the Giro in that they could put in a team that had specific race objectives. But RCS did not like this news and instead decided that Team RadioShack would not be invited to Tirreno-Adriatico. Hopefully we will not be "punished" for future RCS races. They have a great organization and we enjoy participating in many of the races they put on. So that's a little clarification on the situation and I hope that Cyclingnews and other publications do a better job in reporting the news. Like I said earlier, this isn't necessarily an attack on the media, but more of reminder that accuracy is key and everyone is held accountable.

mmm seems like both saying the same thing to me
  • iainf72
    Moray Gub wrote:

I don't know MG. Do you know?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruynee ... -long-list

Note the date is post Lance's letter. Although, Lance refers to himself as "we" quite a lot, so he could've sent a letter saying he wasn't going to go.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Suddenly the withdrawal of Armstrong from MSR makes sense, no invite for Radioshack to the Giro means he withdraws with a tummy bug.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Note the date is post Lance's letter. Although, Lance refers to himself as "we" quite a lot, so he could've sent a letter saying he wasn't going to go.

Come on Iain. There's a logical explanation for all of this, despite evidence on the CN website that would suggest on 27 Jan JB hadn't decided if RS were going to Giro, and yet four days earlier LA had told Giro organizers, that they would not be going.

I just haven't worked it out yet.

~~ Actually this is getting pretty funny. First, I'm thinking CN have been caught out. Then I thought, gee, Moray has got you by the short & curlys.

And then, just like those great court room dramas, you find the missing piece of evidence to suggest you're right.

Can't wait for the next chapter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:

Colnago, yes. Xacobeo, no.

The teams, from various sources,

Acqua&Sapone, Ag2r-La Mondiale, Androni-Diquigiovanni, Astana, Bbox Bouygues Telecom, Bmc Racing, Caisse d'Epargne, Cervelo, Colnago-Csf Inox, Cofidis-Le Credit en Ligne, Footon-Servetto, Garmin-Transitions, Lampre Farnese, Liquigas-Doimo, Omega Pharma-Lotto, Quick Step, Rabobank, Sky, Htc-Columbia, Katusha, Milram, Saxo.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited March 2010
    Clearly, the Italians see French teams, such as B Box and Cofidis as better propositions than the Shack seconds. I wouldn't disagree.
    They will be off up the road in the headbanger breaks, while the Shack would all huddle around whichever poor sod got the team leader tag.

All their eggs in a very old basket.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    So Flaminia can't get an invite because Ricco was a naughty boy, yet Diquigiovanni and their never-ending list of busted riders are a-ok.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    afx237vi wrote:
    So Flaminia can't get an invite because Ricco was a naughty boy, yet Diquigiovanni and their never-ending list of busted riders are a-ok.

Maybe because Diquigiovanni are better suited? :oops: I'll get me coat....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Come on Iain. There's a logical explanation for all of this, despite evidence on the CN website that would suggest on 27 Jan JB hadn't decided if RS were going to Giro, and yet four days earlier LA had told Giro organizers, that they would not be going.

It was a letter dated 23rd January maybe they got it early Feb who knows you know what these third wolrd countries postal services are like. Its fairly conclusive for me RS had no intention of going to the Giro and indictaed this to RCS. So no story here for me.
  • iainf72
    Moray Gub wrote:
    It was a letter dated 23rd January maybe they got it early Feb who knows you know what these third wolrd countries postal services are like. Its fairly conclusive for me RS had no intention of going to the Giro and indictaed this to RCS. So no story here for me.

There never would be though, would there? If you saw footage of Bruyneel weeping and begging RCS to reconsider you'd still not believe it.
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    Suddenly the withdrawal of Armstrong from MSR makes sense, no invite for Radioshack to the Giro means he withdraws with a tummy bug.

If the stomach bug story is baloney and there is no evidence whatsoever to say it is other than the Forum LA Angle but if we go with the FLAA and pretend he did not have a stomach bug his withdrawal would have more to do with srious lack of form than any Giro knock back.
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

There never would be though, would there? If you saw footage of Bruyneel weeping and begging RCS to reconsider you'd still not believe it.

If you witnessed Angelo Zomegnan reading the letter in January or February you wouldnt accept it because lets face it if you can use the LAA to slant a story a particular way you will.