Came off the bike, shifters worn/rough, anything you can do?

kanto
kanto Posts: 112
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
Hi everyone. Came off the bike for the first time today, luckily I'm ok, just a few bits of roadrash and lumps.

Anyway, the bike has a few small issues. The bartape needs replacing on one side, as it ripped straight through it, and has actually scraped some of the metal. But I'm curious about the shifters, I have Tiagra and the silver section to the side of the indicator has been roughed up and will now probably wear away a pair of gloves pretty quick:

11384.jpg

Is there anything you can do to try and smoothen it out? They seem to be functioning ok, but I'm just guessing they might wear the gloves. I'm guessing you can't get replacement parts for the hoods, and surrounding areas?

Thanks

K....

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    If it's the plastic chromed bits, try sandpaper. I think you can get replacement ones (for a price).
    Cycling weakly
  • kanto
    Hey, yeah it is the plastic chrome bits. I was going to try that myself, with sandpaper. So will let you know how it goes. I have had a look and I think they call them front covers, but I only found the sora/105 versions. Any ideas what kind of price I would pay in the UK for something like that? I only noticed them on American sites.

Although, on one side I have quite a bit of a rough area on the black plastic section just above the actual shifter, so I'm gonna try and sand that down too.

Thanks

K...
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    There's a spare-parts diagram here: http://www.shimanoservicecentre.co.uk/SSC/shimano_parts/STI%20Lever/ST-4500.pdf
    NB. Different part Nos. for left/right lever
    A quick search on the interweb for the part No. came up with this link: http://www.petracycles.co.uk/st4500-name-plate-p-20491.html :D
    Cycling weakly
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Just about anyone who has been cycling any length of time will have scraped their shifters. It won't damage your gloves and really doesn't matter other than the aesthetics of it.
  • kanto
    blorg wrote:
    Just about anyone who has been cycling any length of time will have scraped their shifters. It won't damage your gloves and really doesn't matter other than the aesthetics of it.

Hah yeah I had figured it was a common thing, but I appreciate the links above. Will just sand it down and leave it as it is. Hoping that my ripped gloves will last until it gets warmer and I use fingerless. Definately need the tape replacing, which has completely gone on one side :D
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I view a scrapped level as a badge of honour but if it really bugs you then some various grades of sand/grit paper until smooth and then some silver aerosole spray would be ok.