What do it all bike

ChickyChick
ChickyChick Posts: 151
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, im a bit out of the loop after finding my dream bike so im after buying advice....now then.....
Im looking for a decent do it all bike for my good man who has finally taken the persuasion to ride off road and he is loving it. Im currently riding an NS surge build and it does everything (except xc and distance for which i have my rockhopper), and im looking to find something for him as his scott aspect is fast becoming inadequate as he is getting more confident,bigger and faster with jumps,drops and general freeride.
Looking for something that is ideal for somewhere like chicksands, with its short fast runs, jumps,drops etc, but capable to go somewhere like aston or porc etc etc as we face bigger challenges. opinions welcome on full sus or hardtail and hopefully in under a grand. needs to be strong,capable etc...what ya got....
Bike obsessed/adrenaline junkie/racer/idiot
2011 orange crush
NS surge custom build ( for sale)
GT power series 24 bmx race bike
2010 Verde Vex BMX

Comments

• ben110
    ben110 Posts: 54
    hello, how about a orange p7? i think you can pick one up for around a grand, they have around 130mm travel forks to so that will help with the drop offs and so on, also a good frame so will be worth upgrading when things go, another sticking with orange would be the crush i think they are a more all mountain rather then pure xc bike another option is the rock hopper? hope this is some sort of help :)
    links
    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... ctID=18969
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orange-P7-S-Mou ... _27855.htm
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... pecialized rockhopper bike
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    On-one 456 frame. Stick some 140mm forks (rs revs are awesome) on it and use any parts you can off the old bike.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think you may need something tougher than the crush and P7 which are basically long travel XC bikes.

I'd look at the Ragley Mmmbop and Blue Pig, Kinesis pha5e and why not another surge?!
  • Pipedream Sirius Ti
    Blue Pig
    Stiffee

OR if you can wait a little bit

456 Ti
    456 Carbon
  • ravey1981
    mmmm 456 Ti :oops:

But not for under a grand I'm afraid...(not full build anyway)
  • Ooops :oops: sorry, didnt see that it had to be under a grand.

Ignore the 456 Ti and carbon then. And possibly the Sirius Ti, although you could go for the non-ti version.
  • ChickyChick
    I think supersonic has hit the nail on the head there. He already has his scott aspect for bimbling round the trail centres etc out of the horses mout this evening- "i want something away from the scott,not something like it but better". I had him do a run on my NS but he came back saying it felt strong, but also too small, almost like riding a bmx (he is reasonably tall at around 6ft) so i guess the DJ style frame isnt something he is looking for. so it seems he is (fussy?!?!) looking for something with the strength of my NS, but bigger and not like an xc bike. !
    2011 orange crush
    2010 Verde Vex BMX
  • ChickyChick
    maybe i need to be looking at something more specific? freeride? all mountain? all these confusing "disciplines" eh!!!
    2011 orange crush
    2010 Verde Vex BMX
  • ravey1981
    The bikes/frames that have been suggested would all fit the bill. There is so much overlap between these "disciplines" anyway. If its a do it all bike for a grand then you want a long travel "hardcore hardtail".

look in the your bikes section at:

on one 465 (and summer season which is a bit burlier/slacker/heavier)
    ragley bluepig (steel)
    ragley mmbop (ally)
    cove handjob or stiffee
    cotic bfe

and a few more probably...
  • ChickyChick
    ahhhh, yes, cove, how could i forget cove!!! i miss my hustler (one of those i wish id never sold it jobs!) i think you may have hit the nail on the head there. the 456 looks good.also loving the bluepig. when he gets home from work i will show him what you guys have suggested. im sure something will fit the bill..!!! :D
    2011 orange crush
    2010 Verde Vex BMX
  • supersonic
    Aston an PORC can be quite tough - if you are nailing big drops then I would say the 456 wasn't even enough bike.

Cotic BFe is a good shout.
  • ChickyChick
    supersonic- he isnt nailing it yet, but the progress he is making it wont be long,he is ripping up the bull run at chicksands and the new dh run to the left of it so i think now is the time to start looking before he wrecks his scott and gets upset lol. The cotic BFe looks good, can you buy them off the peg or is it a custom build affair? the coves look good and i can vouch for them myself after owning one. do NS still make the bitch frame? as i remember that was a downhill type one wanst it? so much to consider!!!!
    (ps: if we go custom build, what forks would you reccomend? im currently running DJ 2's but im not sure these are ideal so would aim for something more usefull on his bike!)
    2011 orange crush
    2010 Verde Vex BMX
  • supersonic
    Depends what travel the bike is designed for - but can't go wrong with a RS Domain U Turn for most of them.

Cotic BFe is frame only as far as I know.
  • ben110
    ben110 Posts: 54
    how about this norco? is around a grand too
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2007
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    santa cruz chameleon, marin rocky ridge, another surge or a stiffee. or a norco sasquatch?
    or, if he got a full sus, i think a pitch?