Milan - San Remo *spoiler*

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2010 in Pro race
And they're off. Still pottering through the neutral zone

So, first attacks in 10 minutes
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• This race is usually decided in the first 20 minutes: the field will be smashed to pieces before they leave Milan and then they'll just spend another six hours pottering along in groups of two or three.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Piemontesi, Ratti, Caccia 5+ minutes up the road
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Blimey, i've only just finished my breakfast!
    Half man, Half bike
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    anyone got a live feed link, cant find any that work
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It's raining on the Turchino
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    What's the wind direction? It'll dictate the speed of the race, which is usually ridiculously quick.
    Thinking being there's nothing live until 5 to two, when RAI start up.
    I've known MSR to be over by quarter to three.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    There's almost no wind inland and a 25km/h breeze on the coast. It's damp inland but the coastal roads are dry (for now).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What's the wind direction? It'll dictate the speed of the race, which is usually ridiculously quick.
    Thinking being there's nothing live until 5 to two, when RAI start up.
    I've known MSR to be over by quarter to three.

As long as you see it from the Cipressa, does it matter? :P
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Gazetta dello Sport have Boonen 9/10, EBH 8.5 and Pozzato, Bennati, Petacchi on 8.

Their survey of 6,500 had 15 per cent going for Boasson Hagen, 14.7 per cent for Boonen, Cancellara at 14.6 per cent and Petacchi at 14 per cent.

There have been 50 Italian wins in this race, 50 from non-Italian riders and it’s 50 years since the Poggio was added to the race.

- Cnews
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    echos of 1991 Milan-San Remo when a break was allowed a 20 minute lead and survivied-Chiapuccis or Tour of Flanders 1992-Durant won. But this group is only 3 so wishful thinking?
  • frenchfighter
    I hope we get coverage from a decent way out given all this talk about making it a lot harder than last year to blow out as many sprinters as possible.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Dave_1 wrote:
    echos of 1991 Milan-San Remo when a break was allowed a 20 minute lead and survivied-Chiapuccis or Tour of Flanders 1992-Durant won. But this group is only 3 so wishful thinking?

You're memory is failing you! 1991 was when Chiappucci won, he forced a group clear on the (wet) descent of the Turchino and the bunch never reeled them in, despite chasing hard. I don't think they ever had much more than a couple of minutes lead.
  • dave_1
    edited March 2010
    andyp wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

You're memory is failing you! 1991 was when Chiappucci won, he forced a group clear on the (wet) descent of the Turchino and the bunch never reeled them in, despite chasing hard. I don't think they ever had much more than a couple of minutes lead.

it was a big group that went away, 20 or 30 of em, ... am pretty sure Chiapucci and Sorensen survived from that early break. The big favs missed it. Bugno won 1990 alone I think.

edit: am looking through the archive, my memory is fading. Well if this one sticks today, then it we'd have to go back 1988 Paris Roubaix for example of a long range break winning. Thomas Wegmueller, Dirk Demol
  • andyp
    I think you might be confusing 1990 with 1991. In 1990 the peleton split on the plains before the Turchino, leaving riders like Fignon and Kelly in the second group and out of the race. Bugno went clear in a small group on the coast and stayed away.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    andyp wrote:
    Bugno went clear in a small group on the coast and stayed away.

with a record finishing time i believe
  • dave_1
    andyp wrote:
    I think you might be confusing 1990 with 1991. In 1990 the peloton split on the plains before the Turchino, leaving riders like Fignon and Kelly in the second group and out of the race. Bugno went clear in a small group on the coast and stayed away.

yeah, that was it, 1990. When was the last very long range break to win a big Spring Classic, the 2 cobbled ones or Milan San Remo? 1988"?
  • andyp
    Surely Durand in 1992? He and Wegmuller were away for most of the day and still had the best part of two minutes (over Van Hooydonck and Fondriest) at the finish.
  • frenchfighter
    Cav and Cunego dropped already in the second group.

120km left to race. The second group has 81 riders and is just over 6mins back on the three leaders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cav and Cunego dropped already in the second group.

Ahh, it's OK, part of the bluff...
  • deal
    there is a working video link on cyclingfans now btw
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Quickstep powering the first group by the sound of it, trying to distance those dropped.
  • frenchfighter
    deal wrote:

Thanks. Looks like a km between the two groups.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deal
    edited March 2010
    deal wrote:

apparently its now just looping the same thing over and over :(

or maybe its now live? not seen the hang glider before
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Broken collarbone for Murilo Fischer. Barredo crashed out too.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    deal wrote:
    deal wrote:

apparently its now just looping the same thing over and over :(

or maybe its now live? not seen the hang glider before

I think it is ok on this link: http://videochat.gazzetta.it/index_Live01.shtml
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deal
    cheers for links
    afx237vi wrote:
    Broken collarbone for Murilo Fischer. Barredo crashed out too.

are you sure, from the cyclingnews feed

13:38 GMT

Some of you have asked about Barredo since his crash. We called Quick Step and he's still in the race.
  • Kléber
    Dave_1 wrote:
    yeah, that was it, 1990. When was the last very long range break to win a big Spring Classic, the 2 cobbled ones or Milan San Remo? 1988"?
    Jacky Durand and Tommy Wegmuller in Flanders, in 1992. Durand dropped the Swiss rider at the end.

Cavendish punctured, no bluff there!
  • frenchfighter
    Pippo looking strong riding through the fog.
    Contador is the Greatest