Polar CS400 HowTo

normanp
normanp Posts: 279
edited March 2010 in Workshop
If anybody is having trouble getting the data into their computer here are some suggestions (that work for me):
CS400, Belkin USB Smartbeam (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00009RIQ5/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=01BSS30VBMYH6HJ3HGGC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294)
Windows XP (SP3) Home Edition
Log in as an admin user, browse to IDXpress setup prog on floppy for the Belkin & run it, remove floppy, restart computer, log in again as an admin user, let wizard search for driver, Finish.
Insert Polar Protrainer CD, save install file & run it. Let the software update itself from the Internet.
Run the Polar Pro Trainer application. make a Polar Person for yourself & change settings for the user as desired, close it.

If you like to use the computer normally as a 'Limited User' as I do, do the following 3 steps (or you won't get the software to connect to the CS400):
1. Restart in Safe Mode (press f8 during Windows startup)
2. Browse to C:\ Program files\polar\Polar Pro Trainer
3. R mouse on the folder with the Polar Person name chosen earlier, Security, and give the Users group Full Control for this folder (Advanced, uncheck Inherit, Copy)

Restart, log in as your Limited User, run the Polar Pro Trainer.
In Polar Pro Trainer - Tools, Transfer Data
Put your CS400 with the top left bit (just beside the lamp switch) where the IR port is right next to the Belkin IR port
Select Connect, OK on the CS400
In Polar Pro Trainer connection will occur in eg 30 sec and it will upload all data from the CS400.
I hope this is clear - please post any queries & I will try to answer. It may sound involved but once done it is really easy to connect, upload & use the software.
The CS400 has been brilliant so far (about 2 weeks rides) - totally reliable HR, speed etc.
The Polar software has great calendar & graphing abilities & it is easy to Edit|Copy the graph with data to Clipboard, paste into a Draw prog (eg Openoffice Draw) and export as eg wmf.

PS Don't use 'Safely Remove Hardware' or unplug the device from the usb port otherwise xp will bluescreen! Physically disconnect the device later after the machine has been shut down normally. This doesn't affect logging on or off, just wait til shutdown before disconnection. I can live with this - I suppose the Belkin driver was badly written.

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I use the Polar infa red unit to connect. Never had any trouble at all.
  • normanp
    I bought the Belkin because the Polar one is so expensive.
    BTW the driver for the Belkin should be OK for Vista 32bit (according to a post elsewhere) so W7 32 bit. I have tried installing it on W7 Home Prem 64 bit and it will not install. Also W7 Home Prem 64bit does not have a native driver for the device.
  • John.T
    £34 for a totaly reliable piece of kit. I do not think this is too expensive. I don't know how much the Belkin was but it seems a lot of messing about to use.
    http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/polar_cs400.html
  • normanp
    John.T wrote:
    £34 for a totaly reliable piece of kit. I do not think this is too expensive. I don't know how much the Belkin was but it seems a lot of messing about to use.
    http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/polar_cs400.html
    You're probably right - I think I was in shock after spending so much on the cs400 + extra bike kit! For the meaner amongst us the Belkin was only about £7.
    Is the Polar OK with Win7 64bit?
  • John.T
    The current one works with Win7. Don't know about 64 bit. It is £39 bought on its own. I got mine 2 years ago with the CS400. Connection has been 100% reliable. The only problems I have had have been a hick-up in PT5 altitude graphs after downloading one of the updates. They seem to have sorted that now.