Ultegra 6700 front mech on Tiagra 9 spd ok?

Daimler
Daimler Posts: 215
edited March 2010 in Workshop
As per the title really.
Just want to confirm the 6700 Front mech is ok to use on the Tiagra 9 sped.
I can't forsee any issues but want to double check first.

Cheers

Steve
Planet X RT-57 custom build

Comments

• stokey1964
    stokey1964 Posts: 454
    Seems a bit of an overkill.

I have heard than 10 speed front mech have a slightly narrower gap between the two plates and so you may need a bit more trimming than with a 9 speed

I would go for a 105 or Ultegra and spend the money on something else

Simon
  • Daimler
    I can't see any 9 spd Ultegra or Dura Ace Front mechs about.
    Would like to upgrade from a Tiagra one.

On a mission for a 16.5lb CAAD9 Tiagra Compact.
    8)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Why do you want to upgrade from Tiagra ?

In terms of what-difference-you'll-notice-per-pound-spent, front mechs don't come very high
    - I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between Ultegra and Tiagra
  • Daimler
    Fair enough.
    Perhaps I'll scour for a lighter 9 spd rear mech.
    Got to be a few new old 9spd DA or Ultegra ones about.
    :)
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Try CRC, they were selling off some.

Out of interest, your sig says
    Race - Tarmac SL3
    Winter/Training - Allez 16

I guess you don't have Tiagra on a SL3, and the Allez 16 is 8sp Sora - is this for that ?
    I didn't get on with the Sora front mech on mine, thought it was a pain to set-up, but I wouldn't bother putting Ultegra or DA front or rear mechs on an 8sp Sora bike : Tiagra or maybe 105 would be plenty of upgrade
  • Daimler
    Yeah, CRC still sell 9 spd parts but no 9spd specific front mechs hence the post really.
    The CAAD9 is the bike the upgrades are for.
    I haven't even got it yet but I've already got big plans for it and for £285 I can drop 2lbs off straight away taking it from 19.5 to 17.5lbs :)
    I'll be updating my sig when it arrives in April. 8)
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    How much do you weigh?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Daimler
    lol. I am a weight weenie.

I'm 9st 13lb at 5'8.5".
    I don't think I can get much slimmer.

Not bad considering I was 13st 1lb in Septmebr last year. :wink:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Fair enough! If you'd replied 15st I was gonna suggest trimming off those 2lbs would be cheaper if they came off yourself.

But you're like me and any more weight savings really have to come from bike components! :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Daimler
    Just had a look at Wiggle who are still selling the Ultegra 6600 SL (Ice Grey) short cage rear mechs at £56.00 which'll cover 8,9 & 10 spd. I think most shimano/SRAM 10spd rear mechs will work on a 9spd system as long as the movement of the mech itself covers the biggest - smallest cog.
  • stokey1964
    stokey1964 Posts: 454
    use one of these Ultegra rear mechs. have one on my wifes other bike and they work perfectly

A bit cheaper than Wiggle as well, thye seem really expensive at the moment

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/road-bike ... ilver.html
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I think most shimano/SRAM 10spd rear mechs will work on a 9spd system as long as the movement of the mech itself covers the biggest - smallest cog.
    SRAM won't work with Shimano shifters. The cable pull is different. I believe the 6700 front mech has a different pull also.
    As Andy says the front mech is at the bottom of the list for upgrades. They all work much the same and you can not save much weight there. If it aint broke don't fix it.
    Wheels and tyres offer the best weight savings, at a price.
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    6700 front mech will work with any 8, 9 and 10 speed Shimano chainsets, without any bother at all. It`s the shifters that decide how much cable to pull for each gear, not the mech :?
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The shifter pull must match the mech and I believe the 6700 uses a different pull to the 6600 for the front mech. I stand to be corrected on this but why risk it for a front mech when there are plenty about that will go straight on.
  • Daimler
    Thats ok. I'll use one one the Ultegra SL rear mechs as they are light and will look nice against the CAAD9 black frame.

Got the lighter wheels and cassette planned.
    Swapping new tyres and inner tubes and American Classic Cro-m,o skewers from my Tarmac SL3 onto the CAAD9 too.
    This alone will save 2lb :shock:
    Hence aiming for 16.5 - 16.75lb which for an alloy framed bike is rockin!!! 8)