peculiar problem

JimmyK
JimmyK Posts: 712
edited March 2010 in Workshop
this is an odd one.

i was out biking today and i noticed as i pedalled, a clicking sound appearing to come from the crank. its a shimano compact 30/54 and i have shimano clipless pedals, the sort that you can use either side of. for the duration of the ride i listened to that annoying clicking and i put my bike away in the garage. i had to get my car out so this necessitated getting my bike out once more. i was wearing my trainers and when i pedalled the bike........no click :?

it seems the clicking only appeared when i was using the cycling shoes and was clipped in, use the trainers and its silent. i was going to contact lbs on thurs morning , but can anybody suggest what this might be ?

Comments

• JimmyK
    23 views and no-one has a suggestion ?
  • JimmyK
    ive read the stickied thread and will try lubricating the contact points between cleat and cycling shoe and see if it helps.
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    My 1st view - possibly wear on the cleats, slightly worn ones will click if they're nearing the end of their life. Eventually they'll just pop out every time you use them. Tighten them into the soles a bit more - might cure it for a while. Replacements cheap enough from your local... CRC.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • JimmyK
    i was reading about crank creak , ill have to check that one out too, but its funny how it doesnt creak or click if im riding with trainers on :?
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    JimmyK wrote:
    i was reading about crank creak , ill have to check that one out too, but its funny how it doesnt creak or click if im riding with trainers on :?

which probably means it isn't 'crank creak'......
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Is it the same 'click' on either side of each pedal? Could also be that tightening the retention spring might help (but probably worn cleats...)
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Is it the same 'click' on either side of each pedal? Could also be that tightening the retention spring might help (but probably worn cleats...)
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Is it possible that your shoe is catching the crank as it goes past?

You might be positioning your foot differently when you're wearing trainers.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Make sure your pedal spindles are well greased and tightened well into the cranks.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Perhaps re-check the bolt connecting the cranks to the bottom bracket? I know I have to keep an eye on the ones on the Pylon8, with it being a square taper setup.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    I had the same thing. And, like you, the creaking wasn't there when I wore trainers - only SPD's.

Strangely, it still turned out to be crank creak. I took the cranks+BB apart and lubed all the threads and the problem went.

I can only assume that it was the extra strain from my being able to pull up on the pedals, as well as push down, that pushed things that little bit harder and caused the creaking.