Which Tyres for doing Coast2Coast (England)

bigG101
bigG101 Posts: 8
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hey all, Ive currently running 2.10 chucky MTB tyres and want to buy some decent but not really overpriced tyres for doing a 140mile ride over 3days, which is mainly tarmac and light gravel (the sort you get on pressed fire roads)

I was looking at perhaps 26"X1.90 or 1.95?

Also am not to sure on which brand to get? should this matter? or would cheap ones do?

Cheers for all your help in advance

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    I'd go for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour or Marathon Plus. Enough tread for the paths and v good puncture protection. Not the cheapest on the block but you pay for what you get.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • I currently have the same quandry as I'm about to embark on the c2c at the end of the month. I've decided that the wire beaded dual ply 2.5 High Rollers on my Zesty are a little overkill. I'm currently considering kevlar beaded single ply 2.35 Maxxis High Rollers or Minion F's. Would love to know what others have ridden and any advice.

I have got a 2.2 Conti Race King, a 2.1 Maxxis Swampthing and a pair of Schwalbe Smart Sams knocking about the cellar too. Without knowing what surfaces are underfoot its difficult to make a decision.
    Currently riding - Lapierre Zesty 314, as yet without any bling

New toy - Diamondback Mojito, SS rigid 29er

RIP 2007 Cube Acid - Stolen by pikeys
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    2.35 highrollers or minions for a coast to coast???? you must be a sucker for punishment. i would go for a light 2" tyre with low close spaced nobs like a michelin xc dry or crossmark ect.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Did the Sustrans C2C in '05 with Panaracer Mach SS semi slicks, perfect tyre for the job & cheap too.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I cycled the entire thing on my road bike with 700cc x 23 slicks last summer. there was only one part that we bypassed. the map said it was "only suitable for experience mountain bikers on mountain bikes". The tyres (and bike) held up absolutely fine over all the different surfaces (loose gravel, fireroad etc). more often than not we were going faster over these types of surfaces than people on hardtails with noblies on.

i'd go for the slickest and thinnest tyre you can get.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Well, I hate to recommend it but, a cheap pair of Bell tyres from ASDA has lasted an awe-full long time on my bike. 1.90 MTB tyres and never punctured once in many the last 500 miles off-road and on-road!
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I'd go for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour or Marathon Plus. Enough tread for the paths and v good puncture protection. Not the cheapest on the block but you pay for what you get.

That's what I would use.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • dwill
    dwill Posts: 150
    i used the racing ralph/nobby nick thart came on my cube and had no problems. i live on the route and would highly recommend trying to miss out about a 3 mile stretch between anfield plain tesco and the start of beamish as its a disgrace the kids around here think its clever to smash glass all over the line. be much easier to follow the road around.