calories burned ?

stronginthesun
stronginthesun Posts: 433
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
ok i know there are endless variations ie fitness , route , wind ect . but how many calories would a reasonably fit person burn in a hour over an underlating circuit pushing themselves ?

Comments

• tempessuk
    tempessuk Posts: 10
    45 calories a mile
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Think squash is a very high calorie burner, about 10 - 12 per min.
    So, if it's not too intensive, think 8 per min about right.

Depends on body size/weight, fitness, wind, hills etc.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    tempessuk wrote:
    45 calories a mile

Yeah, this is pretty much right imo.
  • I just call it 1,000 an hour and be done with it. HR monitor gives slightly more but I put that more down to having a high heart rate relative to speeds achieved. Can't go that wrong if you call it 1k an hour. Will change a fair bit if you go through lanes though, that's slow.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I just call it 1,000 an hour and be done with it. HR monitor gives slightly more but I put that more down to having a high heart rate relative to speeds achieved. Can't go that wrong if you call it 1k an hour. Will change a fair bit if you go through lanes though, that's slow.

More like 800 an hour imo. Not a lot different over a short distance but definately over a long one such as sportive. I'll burn around 4000 in a 100 mile sportive, although my garmin will say loads more.
  • what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328
    based on my journey today 47 miles at 2hr 40mins i used 1300calories which works out at 26cals per mile. and the whole journey home was into wind which really did put the pressure on
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited March 2010
    I just call it 1,000 an hour and be done with it. HR monitor gives slightly more but I put that more down to having a high heart rate relative to speeds achieved. Can't go that wrong if you call it 1k an hour. Will change a fair bit if you go through lanes though, that's slow.

Well - you CAN go wrong. Very, very wrong in fact.

If you are actually counting calories and need to have a reasonable idea of what you are burning, then your estimate will seriously dent weight loss goals.

Even at race pace I can't burn 1000 calories an hour - and I use a powermeter which gives a MUCH more accurate idea of calories used vs. a HR monitor.

Average riding will probably burn around 650 an hour. Hard, hard, hard riding will be around 850 - but that will be a pretty serious effort.

HR has no bearing on calories burned.
  • ash1098
    ash1098 Posts: 3
    Mapmyride has a 'workout calculator', which estimates how many calories you've burnt once you've plotted your ride, entered in your activity (i.e. cycling, walking etc) and the time taken. It also gives elevation and gradient statistics. Can be quite interesting to compare different rides with, however I'm not sure it's the most accurate tool out there!

http://www.mapmyride.com/create_new
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    sampras38 wrote:
    More like 800 an hour imo. Not a lot different over a short distance but definately over a long one such as sportive. I'll burn around 4000 in a 100 mile sportive, although my garmin will say loads more.

Agreed, I tend to give myself approx 600 per hour to counteract any freewheeling/downhill sections when i'm recuperating. Just a rough ballpark like, most computers are too generous.
  • Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 45
    I produce about 250 watts on most of my rides, working out as 856kcal and i weight 72kg
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I would say about 650/hour. My Garmin tells me more than that, so beware which pieces of kit you trust.

And look at it this way; if you are trying to lose weight, then aren't you best off underestimating what you've burned?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    800 kcals/hr for a 79kg boke on a road bike averaging 18mph