What 130/140mm forks?

Simonb256
Simonb256 Posts: 880
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Right, I'm currently looking at a new pair of forks to replace my 5lb Z1's... Mainly as they are 5lb's and just aren't great.

However I'm a little behind the times with forks.

It always used to be Fox or Marz as the preferred choice and RS as the alternative. Avoiding Manitou like the plague.

So what is the general consensus on forks these days?

It seems everyone is running RS or Fox, Marz are having reliability issues, no-one seems to even mention Manitou and then theres DT.

Im currently looking for 130/140mm forks for XC/AM useage and I've got it down to Pikes/Revs/Floats but what about Minutes? or DT XMC 140?

Budget is around £500 give or take.
"War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Revs.

end of.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Simonb256
    Simonb256 Posts: 880
    I was having a serious look at those, as everyone seems to be telling me this, however no-one has told me why :)

Though I'm really tempted by the DT's for some reason...
    "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DT well that is TART material talk to Andy about them.

but revs come in the right length or longer (U turn also available)

they are light sitff and work very well.

team dual air 3.61 lbs
    team U turn 3.81 lbs
    race dual air 3.57 lbs

and then there are the XX versions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Ironically two of my favourite forks ever have been Manitou and Pace(DT Swiss now).

I can't comment on the specific DT forks you are looking at but still have my set of Pace RC39's and I absolutely love them. Considering I'm not the smallest guy in the world they are as stiff as you like and track beautifully. The performance is top notch, its just a shame the price matches :wink:

Again I can't comment on the Manitou Minutes but I've owned two pairs of R7's now and they work nearly as well as the Pace and better than the Fox F100RLC on my Anthem.

If you can afford them, I'd have to suggest the DT's
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I have DT XMC130s on my Stumpy, but I have to say theres not much in it between the foxes I replaced and the DTs.

I would say that the Fox forks were better value though at RRP, although my DTs were only £350 as wiggle fat fingered the price in wrong :) If I were buying at full price, I think RS Revs or Fox Floats would be on my possibles list, as DT is too expensive at RRP. I find fox tend to dive through the middle of their travel a bit, which annoyed me, hence why I changed. The DTs ramp up a lot through their travel, so while they dont feel quite as plush, they do give a kind of bottomless feel.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    fox vanilla 32,s are awesome forks providing you get the right spring in them. good value to. they,re simple and they work plus your never worried about air leaks.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Has to be the Revs - light and very adjustable.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Another vote for fox floats or fox talas.

My f100 never dive badly no matter how hard I brake
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Revs
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Having ridden both I'd go for Revs over Fox Floats. The main difference I could tell was that the Revs tracked much better - probably due to torsional stiffness.

I'd also consider Manitou Elites and Magura Thor - if I could get a good deal.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    nicklouse wrote:
    Revs.

end of.

+1 my revs are the best thing ive ever bought, cant recommend them enough
  • I have just put DT XMC 130 15mm on my new hardtail

Really impressed with how plush they are compare to my previous talas 36's(different bike)

They look good,really plush and can take a beating. They also lock down for climbing and it releases with a big enough bump automaticaly. No getting going down a descent getting your teeth smashed out because you are locked out.

Only £400 notes on CRC atm http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=33724

Also some similar priced for 15mm F120 on CRC. Fox are good but service intervals are a real pita. 36 were forever needing seals cleaned and the lub oil changing. The lowers were full of muck and moist oil every time i did them. Not sure on the DT not had them that long

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    lawman wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Revs.

end of.

+1 my revs are the best thing ive ever bought, cant recommend them enough

+2 same again, the rs revelation race forks to be specific, my first ever sus fork
    tho crc now have the rs revelation team u-turn forks "for sale" priced bit close to £500

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40925