Mudguards off yet?

Scrumple
Scrumple Posts: 2,665
edited April 2010 in Road beginners
Spring -

Time for this thread again.

Do my cruds come off? Only have the one bike so I can't wait. But, the Sunday chaingang may argue otherwise....

Have you shed your unsighlty impediments?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've not even bothered using mudguards this year
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Not had any rain in Brizzle since the beginning of the month but don't want to tempt fate, though I did run without the front racerguard for 2 days whilst I sorted the bracket out again.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • galaxyboy
    galaxyboy Posts: 168
    Couldn't wait to get them crud guards off - and they wont be going back on.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    No, not from the hack. I was naughty on Monday though - taking my good bike out for the first time this year - and revelled in the guardless carbon lightweight loveliness of it all.

I'm more surprised by the number of people who've already seemingly shed their knee and/or leg warmers or swamped bib longs for shorts at the first sign of any sunshine.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Lagavulin wrote:
    I'm more surprised by the number of people who've already seemingly shed their knee and/or leg warmers or swamped bib longs for shorts at the first sign of any sunshine.

I've worn shorts with knee/leg warmers with shorts all winter except for the very coldest days, and will probably wear the same all over the summer except for the very hottest days.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    We're apparently due some showers over the next few days in Brizzle so the cruds will stay on for a couple of weeks more.
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Mine are still on :(
    Bring on the Summer 8)
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I never fitted mine to the Giant build. I don't intend on fitting them either... I went up to Emley Moor last Saturday in pretty cruddy conditions and only suffered the odd splash up my jacket. My front mech was A LOT cleaner than if I had the guards fitted.

I'm also just about back to bib-shorts and jerseys with warmers as well. :D

I'll go guardless until the winter when I fit them to the SS I plan on buying.

Speaking of SS, any recommendations?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    well its still wet on the ground here, and not yet the time for shorts and short sleeves (for me anyway!) so they'll stay a bit longer.

Not absolutely sure how much benefit the Crud guards were but I had no problems with them once fitted, so no reason to take them off just yet.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    my old bike doesn't have the clearances for them so it's a spray tastic winter/spring/summer.....
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Ben6899 wrote:
    ... I went up to Emley Moor last Saturday in pretty cruddy conditions and only suffered the odd splash up my jacket.

I hope you avoided the potholes - there is a massive one between the mast and the 3 Acres? And the cow muck all over the roads?

I live in Emley - my guards are still on!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Three Acres? Pub?

I set off from Pontefract and rode as far as the mast - no further west - and then back down to Emley FC to watch the match (my brother plays for Hemsworth MW FC and they were Emley's guests). Yes there is a sh1tload of cow muck on the roads, but I didn't have any problems with potholes.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Took mine off, partly because the front one snapped in half on my foot & its been rain free but will take 30 seconds to put them back on..
  • monkeyjo
    monkeyjo Posts: 54
    I destroyed my front Crud last weekend at a traffic light. For some silly reason I sometimes turn the wheel a little when I take off and I managed to hit it with my foot and snapped it off at the zip-tie bit. :(
    So now I've only got the rear and I can't decide whether or not to take it off or leave it for now. Doesn't seem worth buying another pair until later in the year I guess.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Three Acres? Pub?

I set off from Pontefract and rode as far as the mast - no further west - and then back down to Emley FC to watch the match (my brother plays for Hemsworth MW FC and they were Emley's guests). Yes there is a sh1tload of cow muck on the roads, but I didn't have any problems with potholes.

yeah, the 3 Acres (accidentally wrote £ Acres - which is a Freudian slip!) is a well known restuarant / pub.

Pretty expensive, people helicopter in to eat meals there. It is just the other side of the rise past the mast. There is a pothole that would destroy a car near there.

The cow mucking has got worse, the whole village stinks now as the farmers have taken advanatge of the good weather to plough and muck spread all the fields.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Took mine off in May last year and it rained for the rest of the summer so I'm leaving them on this year. You can all thank me when we've had a glorious, dry and sunny summer.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I am holding out until the Met Office predict a sh*te summer, at which point I shall mothball my rain jacket and take the Crud (singular) off. Until then...
  • Ripped mine off at the weekend. Might have been abit hasty, but it feels bloody great!
    The brave might not live forever, but the cautious don't live at all.
  • daj
    daj Posts: 139
    I am out in the morning without them on!! Guessing if riding alone it isnt a problem anyway?? :?
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I am holding out until the Met Office predict a sh*te summer, at which point I shall mothball my rain jacket and take the Crud (singular) off. Until then...

Apparently they've stopped doing long-range forecasts - nothing longer than a month in advance nowadays. :)

I'm not planning on removing mine any time soon - they weigh so little & are so inconspicuous it seems pointless.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Monkeyjo wrote

So now I've only got the rear and I can't decide whether or not to take it off or leave it for now. Doesn't seem worth buying another pair until later in the year I guess.

All you have to do is write to the company, local for me, and ask for the replacement parts needed enclosing first class stamps for each part.

Got my replacements within three days.

Nothing to pay.

Re OP I'm lucky :?: , enough to have last years bike as a winter/ bad weather bike; guards staying on: leaving the Bianchi as a guard less warm weather ride- so only a few miles on it so far.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    On the racer they are coming off on the next ride.

On the commuter, never.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,991
    staying on..... :(

I am still in shorts, but I have got the legs for it :)
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    It's wet arse time! Get those bloody guards off :D
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I said I'd move from the winter bike to the "good" bike when a heavy rainfall had washed all the winter cr@p off the road.
    The sun hasn't stopped sining since.
    The "good" bike can stay in it's bag and I am not complaining! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • redvee
    Looks like my Racerguards will be coming off over the weekend as I broke the front one on the way to work this morning :(
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Mine was coming off this week on my hack bike. But, I've had some food poisoning and can't be arsed. maybe on Sunday.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    They don't come off. I stay in Scotland. They're welded to the frame.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    redvee wrote:
    Looks like my Racerguards will be coming off over the weekend as I broke the front one on the way to work this morning :(

Did the same to mine but they came off weeks ago, looks like the rear one might have to go back on this morning :(
  • redvee
    Got a new set on order which are going to my Dad's place so hopefully dry until next weekend not that I intend to use them until September this year.