Genesis Core 40 VS Genesis Altitude 10 VS Something else?

MiloRida
MiloRida Posts: 23
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hey!

I've just had both my bikes stolen :(
Luckily our insurance covered it and i have been give £1000 to spend on a bike. I'm interested in a hardcore hardtail for around that price - after doing some research I found the Genesis'. I'm not sure which one to go for as the main difference is the frame material; steel (Altitude 10) or aluminium (Core 40). I know that the aluminium is likely to be lighter but are there any more pro's + con's i should be aware of? Or are there better bikes for the price on the market; i would preferably like something with around 130mm upfront.

Cheers,
Emil

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Have you look at the Genesis Abyss.

Not sure about price (I think abot a grand) but rides great
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Many feel that the steel frame has a bit more give in it and therefore adds to comfort and ride quality.

The alu frame is definitely lighter though. Sometimes only testing can show these nuances!

Good spec though, and excellent fork for the cash.
  • MiloRida
    Yeah - thats ideal. However I'm pretty sure its about £1500 which is a bit over my budget :D
  • MiloRida
    Alright - i won't be able to test any of them; so I will have to rely on advice. How big is the difference in weight?
  • supersonic
    No published weights, but likely to be at least a pound difference.
  • MiloRida
    Thanks - I have just been informed by the insurance company that I am only able to purchase a bike from Halfords - sadly. What is the best bike that I could buy for the amount of money from their store. The best I could find was the GT Aggressor Elite, which I guess is semi-decent (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499)

Cheers again
  • supersonic
    Yes, the Elite is very good for the money.
  • bobcheese
    bobcheese Posts: 343
    I have just bought an Aggressor Elite. It's better than semi-decent :twisted: IMO best value long fork HT around especially at the moment as its reduced to £900. Compare it to the Core 40 and the specs are miles apart. Dont be put off by the Halfords haters either I have had a great experience (so far.....).
  • MiloRida
    Alright then :D I just haven't been able to find many review + opions; but the spec is incredible for the price I agree - It's just that I've never been a GT guy. However I think that will change pretty soon... One more thing, I'm 6 foot/183cm so what is the best size to get?

Cheers again :)
  • MiloRida
    Alright then :D I just haven't been able to find many review + opions; but the spec is incredible for the price I agree - It's just that I've never been a GT guy. However I think that will change pretty soon... One more thing, I'm 6 foot/183cm so what is the best size to get?

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Go in store and sit on one. thats the best way to find the correct size since its personal preference really
  • supermonkey
    supermonkey Posts: 315
    MiloRida wrote:
    I have just been informed by the insurance company that I am only able to purchase a bike from Halfords - sadly.

I doubt they can lawfully insist on that. Put your foot down.
  • supersonic
    MiloRida wrote:

The one that fits ;-)

Stated sizes vary so much.
  • ESC
    ESC Posts: 34
    MiloRida wrote:
    I have just been informed by the insurance company that I am only able to purchase a bike from Halfords - sadly.

I doubt they can lawfully insist on that. Put your foot down.

Out of interest what insurance company we're you with and is Halfords mentioned in the T&C's?
    www.exploresilvercoast.com
    PORTUGAL I BIKE I SURF I WALK
  • MiloRida
    Yeah - agreed :) However I am unable to try it out so I will have to rely on instinct - so any help would be appreciated :)
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`m similar height I would say from previous expereience of trying the very similar Avalanche that a M or L could work.You are probably on the threshold between the 2 but,possibly would lean towards L.

But still best to try,must be a Halfords nearby where you can at least sit on one?
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • bobcheese
    bobcheese Posts: 343
    Not many stores have the Elite in stock TBH. Go on there website and check to see stock of your local stores. The other thing you can do to check fir size is try the XCR out for size. This is the same frame as the Elite (all the others have different geometry). These are more widely stocked so stand a much better chance of finding one of these.