CHainset guards?

webbhost
webbhost Posts: 470
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
Hi,

I desperately need a new plastic chainset guard as I have accidentally ripped 2 pairs of work trousers in a week since my old one broke and my clothes now get caught in the chainset!

Does anyone know where I can pick one up, or does anyone have one available willing to sell?

Shimano chainset.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Tuck your trousers in your socks.

I've never ridden a bike with a chainset guard and I've never had a problem.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    bike clip, elastic band or wear more suitable trousers - chainset guards don't completely help but these other options will if used correctly
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    Hi,

I switched to the tuck trousers into socks method after ripping me second pair.

Thning is until I broke this, I have ridden for ages and ages without damaging clothing.. I know I "Could" tuck my trousers into my socks, but the problem here is that the 1 day im in a rush I'll forget that ive done it and leave it like that lol... Not realy part of the uniform standards and dont want to get a rollocking lol.

Althrough I am aware of the alternatives mentioned, the purpose of me posting this is simply to find out if replacements are available.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    have you tried the commuting forum. we dont do chain guards and 'trousers' round here. :shock:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    They can be bought but there is things to consider such as the diameter of the chain ring bolts - usually 110 or 130mm plus the size of the ring - number of teeth and therefore the outer diameter of the ring. Probably best to have a look in your LBS or Halfords but if you're not taking your bike with you then you needs this info to get the right one - a quick google shows they cost around £10

HTH
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Riding in trousers just sounds sooo wrong !