Short travel full suss frameset only--what`s best?

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited March 2010 in MTB buying advice
For a budget of not more than £1500 what frameset (only, not complete build) is suggested for:
a lightish , short (<4") travel full suss.

To use for general XC , incl occasn Enduro.

Nothing extreme or hyper rocky (ie roughest terrain would be CYB or some of the Scottish FC routes, eg Laggan WolfTRax Red)

Thoughts at present Santa Cruz S`light or Blur XC Al

thanks

Comments

• frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    Giant Anthem X
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Anthem X. But despite what you said, get a whole bike, the frameset prices are stupid. Keep what you like, sell the rest, profit.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,811
    Another vote for Anthem X.

Not sure what the frame prices are, but if you get the chance to build one to your own spec (either by buying frame only or buying the whole bike and selling parts as suggested), you will end up with a very good bike 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Afternoon Anthem Owners' Club , just dropped in to say +1

The frameset is about £900 I think.... So buying a complete '09 X3 is a bit of a no-brainer!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Spark, GT Marathon, Canaan - loads to choose from! No best, but some are lighter than others and we have different geos and suspension characteristics.

Are you after the lightest possible?
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    There is nowt wrong with you original suggestion of an SC Superlight.

But...

+1 for the Anthem X
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • JamesB
    No not lightest possible but light, reliable bearing linkages, good non bob characteristics (I ride uphills out of saddle at times).
    Given teh number of Anthem votes should I just stick with my old and slightly heavy Trance `07 ??? :? --or is Anthem hugely different?
  • supersonic
    The Anthem is lighter - but they use the same sus system.

For the riding you suggest, and you don't mind a little extra weight (and it is a stronger frame), i would just keep the trance.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    The Trance is a great bike, like SS says, it'll do exactly what you want. If you do fancy a change you don't need to rush into anything so I'd try and test as many of the options as possible.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    edited March 2010
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Didn't someone put on a few photos of their Anthem pivots, which were totally knackered and plastic?

He apparently was told that they "had" to be plastic, due to the suspensions design...

Put me off going for one too.

Does the Trance have this "problem" ???
  • JamesB
    No only prob my Trance has re linkages is sheer number of bearings in pivot links (8 I think) = expensive repairs!! (£50 bearings alone) :(
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Go visit EBay. There's a bloke there who sells decent bearings quite cheap.

I've got an 07 trance as well that I use in a slightly more burly mode (Pikes, fat tyres) and the suspension is great so providing you're okay with a bit more lard, hang onto it.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Whats the spec of your Trance? If you have £1500 to spend..upgrade..there are plenty Trances that have been fiddled to 23-24lbs without much effort. If not then errr..Anthem X..someone is selling a 2010 frame in the classifieds, spanking new for £800.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Anthem X here.
  • JamesB
    Yes, my Tarnce is a porky 30 lb job....Hope / Mavic 717 wheels / XT shifters / EA50 risers / big heavy but functional Marz MX ETA Comp / Hope Minis, maybe change fork (RC 41 available to fit), lighter bar setup....wheels??i
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    You could easily lop 3-4lb off by changing forks and wheels for around £700 (Fox F100/Reba/Sid - Pro 3 hoops etc), with plenty left over for the rest of it, thats if you want to spend £1500. what gear set up you running? If you put that kit on a lighter frrame, eg anthem x , sc superlight. You're only going to drop 1-2lb max so not worth doing imo.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    stubs wrote:

oooh, the flux is nice- demoed one round cannock a few weeks back and absolutely loved it!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • JamesB
    stu8975 wrote:
    You could easily lop 3-4lb off by changing forks and wheels for around £700 (Fox F100/Reba/Sid - Pro 3 hoops etc), with plenty left over for the rest of it, thats if you want to spend £1500. what gear set up you running? If you put that kit on a lighter frrame, eg anthem x , sc superlight. You're only going to drop 1-2lb max so not worth doing imo.

Yes looks like this is the route I`ll go down then as so many pro Maestro link votes; less than £1500 though as that included frames sale!!
  • Supersonic, are you on commission for Mongoose, you've recommended that bike to about 3000 people on here :D

It's a total dream spec mind...
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • supersonic
    Just an amazing bargain!