First ride on road bike ....

canaryv
canaryv Posts: 37
edited March 2010 in Road beginners
Just back from my first ride on my new Trek 1.9, have ridden a Boardman Pro Hybrid for 18 months. It was a very different experience but the comparative feeling of speed from the Trek compared to the Boardman was excellent and 'm really glad I've made the swap (but willl stick with the hybrid for commuting).

A couple of daft questions and a bit of advice from the more experienced among you to help me on my way please:

- any tios for help getting used to the new riding position or is it just a case of the more I ride th more natural itwill become
- what gear do most people use for simply riding on the flat (largest front ring or smaller), I found it really hard to find something that felt comfortable

Also if anyone has any idea why the cables might be rattling and how I can stop it I'd be really grateful !

Thanks

Comments

• zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    1. Ride it- now when I get on anything other than a roadie I don't like it at all, and I only picked up road riding 2.5 years ago

2. I used to have this, after about a year I picked up a close ratio casette for my 8 speed- although that's a triple and depending on hills by you might not be a good idea (sorry if I'm under-estimating your bike fitness).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Glad you took the plunge!

The riding position is something that takes time to get used to but also, you need to see someone to ensure you have the best fit possible. I've been riding for about 3 years now and only got a professional fit done last week and the improvement it's made to comfort and power is amazing!

Regarding the cables rattling you can get very small rubber washers that will do this. Your LBS (local bike shop) should have some of these.

Again regarding gears, it is just a case of trial and error - finding what's most comfortable for you.
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    canaryv wrote:
    - what gear do most people use for simply riding on the flat (largest front ring or smaller), I found it really hard to find something that felt comfortable

Something that you can spin for about 90 rpm.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    On the flat I tend to stick with the middle ring at the back and the low ring at the front (assuming you're using two rings and not three). I find I go at a nice 15-20mph with that and it's really enjoyable. Position wise I did adjust my bars a little becuase I found my back was aching terribly; now it's fine but I do get funny looks off other roadies who see the strange angle.
  • canaryv
    canaryv Posts: 37
    Thanks for the help guys - 2nd ride today and got into a much better rhythym on large front ring and 3 or 4th ring at the back.

Riding position starting to feel more comfortable too, but the saddle is going to take some getting used to !
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Might be worthwhile doing some post-ride stretches which should help your flexibility and also help your muscles recover from the stress you have put them under - easily forgotten when you are in a rush to take all your bike gear off and dive in the shower!
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    I climb into the hot tub when I get back :D
    All the jets give me a nice post ride massage on my lower back

img0520q.jpg
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    There's a good guide here that may help with your set-up. Worth checking out just to make sure your set-up isn't way off. http://www.bikedynamics.co.uk/guidelines.htm
    Cycling weakly
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    canaryv wrote:
    but the saddle is going to take some getting used to !

Padded shorts!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • mikeyh54
    mikeyh54 Posts: 18
    I'm in exactly the same scenario. I have been riding a Trek hybrid for commuting for the last year and very recently bought myself a Bianchi via Nirone Ultegra.

I have only been out on the road twice over the last couple of weekends and considering how much cycling I do on my Trek (120 miles+ a week) I found the new riding position of the road bike quite awkward to start off with.

Whilst I'm more comfortable with the riding postion now, I still find the whole riding experience a little scary! The bike is ever so quick and I still can't clip into the Time pedals as quickly as I would like.

My biggest concern is braking. Despite having 105 brakes, I only feel confident braking when ridiing on the drops. When riding on the hoods, I just can't seem to get used to pulling the levers comfortably and as a result I don't feel the bike is stopping quickly enough. I have checked the brakes and they work fine. Any advice?
  • hilza
    hilza Posts: 43
    mikeyh54 wrote:

My biggest concern is braking. Despite having 105 brakes, I only feel confident braking when ridiing on the drops. When riding on the hoods, I just can't seem to get used to pulling the levers comfortably and as a result I don't feel the bike is stopping quickly enough. I have checked the brakes and they work fine. Any advice?

I found this at first too, but learnt fairly quickly that they do stop me perfectly. It just takes getting used to pulling the lever at a different angle.